Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedora 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fedora 8

I see Fedora 8 (Werewolf) is out in 9 days time.

Does anyone know if the Fedora 8 Test 3 DVD image has a live session?
    Last edited by _simon_; October 30th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

Re: Fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by _simon_ View Post
    I see Fedora 8 (Werewolf) is out in 9 days time.

Does anyone know if the Fedora 8 Test 3 DVD image has a live session?
    The DVD does not, you need the liveCD for that.

i686: http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/dis...-Live-i686.iso
    x86_64: http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/dis...ive-x86_64.iso

EDIT: You need to use the development branch of the livna repo if you want any non-free drivers. Be aware that many packages only get new kmods every 4th kernel build, so use caution when upgrading and deciding what kernel to use.
    Last edited by igknighted; October 30th, 2007 at 08:32 PM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

downloading fedora 8 final release now, about 15mins till its finished be the first fedora i tried since fc5, im hoping for improvements especially in the speed department. oh and the speed of yum.
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

ok, i think fedora have screwed up their .iso files, there gnome live dvd is 768MB large, it refuses to burn to a CD becaue the disc is too small, but it refuses to burn to a dvd coz its not a dvd image, stupid fedora project great first impression. and it wont boot in vmware :/
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy_Palms View Post
    ok, i think fedora have screwed up their .iso files, there gnome live dvd is 768MB large, it refuses to burn to a CD becaue the disc is too small, but it refuses to burn to a dvd coz its not a dvd image, stupid fedora project great first impression. and it wont boot in vmware :/
    lol what fedora were expecting, miracle from 700MB CD!
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy_Palms View Post
    What? A disk image is a disk image, you can burn any sub 700mb image to a DVD. There's not really a distinction. Also, I'm getting the ISO sizes in the high 690mb's. It's burning to a CD with no issues. Are you using the x86_64 images? Both Gnome and KDE i686 images are small enough for CD, but I haven't looked at the 64bit ones.

Interesting about VMWare. I'll try it out and see when I've finished d/l. At 26% right now (20 min...).

EDIT: Ahh, the 64bit images are large. DVD it is for them I suppose.
    Last edited by igknighted; November 8th, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You need to use the development branch of the livna repo if you want any non-free drivers. Be aware that many packages only get new kmods every 4th kernel build, so use caution when upgrading and deciding what kernel to use.
    Huh? Yum prevents your kernel from being updated if there is no kmod package for that kernel in the Livna repository. Also, Livna builds kmods for every kernel update. I never experienced that they left out 4 versions.

Depends on the application you use to burn the images. When a friend of mine tried to burn Ubuntu's .isos using Nero, it also said that they were too big. When burning using "Burn CD/DVD" in Gnome, it worked fine with the same computer.

I am very pleased with Fedora, switched from Ubuntu to it after the release of Fedora 7.

Beans

Downloading Fedora 8 Live now. Their non-torrent mirror must be swamped, dl speeds are at 5 kbps, but the torrent is good. Right now downloading at 150 kbps...
    My Laptop: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    Partitioning: 10 GB Debian Testing partition, 10 GB Ubuntu 8.10, 1.2 GB Swap partition,and then 55 GB for "/media/Documents"

Beans
    Hidden!

Downloading now... just from the webpage I gotta say, I like the usplash. Looking forward to comparing it to my Feist/Gutsy experience.

Beans

the screenshots do look nice.
    My Laptop: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    Partitioning: 10 GB Debian Testing partition, 10 GB Ubuntu 8.10, 1.2 GB Swap partition,and then 55 GB for "/media/Documents"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast