Thread: KVM/QEMU, VMware, and VBox benchmarks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

KVM/QEMU, VMware, and VBox benchmarks

I had a lot of problems trying to find some comparable benchmarks between some of the more common virtual machines, so I decided to make my own. Each machine ran using its _native image format_ (I.e., VDI for VBox, VMDK for VMware, etc.), and each one started out with a completely clean, reinstalled version of Windows (running the Standard PC HAL, ACPI disabled).

Intel VT technology was enabled on both VBox and KVM/Qemu (obviously, kvm_intel is required for it to run at all...), although in VMWare WS6.0.1, I could not find an option to enable it. /shrug

Both VMWare and VBox come with included "helpers" that allow things like clipboard sharing, etc., but I noticed no difference in the benchmarks w/ or w/o the added software.

Surprisingly enough, here's what I got running SuperPI to 1M digits

KVM/Qemu
    Average: 22.409s

VMWare Workstation 6.0.1
    Average: 44.824s

Virtualbox 1.5.0_OSE (from apt)
    Average: 22.779s

Virtualbox 1.5.2 (from deb)
    Average: 22.583

Obviously, these are by no means conclusive, but I can't figure out for the life of me why VMWare is so high (almost twice as slow as the other two!). I'm also planning on perhaps trying out Xen and a few more options, although I don't think anything will beat KVM/Qemu's speed.

Thinkpad T61
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz (Virtualization enabled)
    2GB RAM (750MB allocated to each VM)
    100GB 7200RPM hard drive (6GB ":growable" partitions)

EDIT: Added Virtualbox 1.5.2
    Last edited by Redmumba; October 28th, 2007 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: KVM/QEMU, VMware, and VBox benchmarks

Thanks for the benchmarks! I've noticed that VMWare player is much faster than VMWare server. I haven't tried VMWare workstation, but if it's like server, I'm not surprised it's much slower than Qemu and Virtualbox

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: KVM/QEMU, VMware, and VBox benchmarks

Very interesting, could you possibly do some graphics testing? just like the difference in xorg between running the nvidia driver and the nv driver, when you move apps in xorg with nv it feels laggy and slow, whereas with nvidia app rendering and moving is faster, its the same in widnows but worse i think, so could you benchmark the graphics too since a smoother ui is always much nicer to work with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Redmumba View Post
    Intel VT technology was enabled on both VBox and KVM/Qemu (obviously, kvm_intel is required for it to run at all...), although in VMWare WS6.0.1, I could not find an option to enable it. /shrug
    Obviously, these are by no means conclusive, but I can't figure out for the life of me why VMWare is so high (almost twice as slow as the other two!)
    If VMware was only using one CPU, then that would explain why it was twice as slow, wouldn;t it?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

If VMware was only using one CPU, then that would explain why it was twice as slow, wouldn;t it?
    It's a single threaded application. Also Virtualbox (AFAIK) only supports single CPU emulation. These are a bit dated now anyhow. I believe vmware-server 2 can hook to the SVM/VMX extensions.