Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: People give up to easy!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: People give up to easy!

I tried to install Java for 2 weeks..reinstalled because of it..didn't give up. Little did I know it was in the repositories

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by argie View Post
    Hard to give instructions.
    Copy-paste into Terminal:
    Code:
    echo "deb blahblah" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    vs.
    Go to System » Administration » Synaptic
    Then open
    Options » Repositories » Third Party. Now copy-paste:
    Code:
    deb blahblah
    i can't tell if you're agreeing or not with yawner or not. if you're not think about this: for the noob, copying and pasting in the terminal certainly does work, but it does nothing to teach them how to use synaptic. they're going to remember where the gui is as compared to "ok, i just copied and pasted, but wth did i just do?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    I tried to install Java for 2 weeks..reinstalled because of it..didn't give up. Little did I know it was in the repositories
    again, not everyone wants to screw around with computers. that's how it is and always will be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    i can't tell if you're agreeing or not with yawner or not. if you're not think about this: for the noob, copying and pasting in the terminal certainly does work, but it does nothing to teach them how to use synaptic. they're going to remember where the gui is as compared to "ok, i just copied and pasted, but wth did i just do?"
    That's true enough. I agree. The example was hardly perfect. The thing is it's easy to make a mistake when giving more complex instructions. Also, if my experience is anywhere near the norm, lots of people just forget stuff like this because they aren't bothered. They 'just want it to work'. The people who want to be able to do the stuff again without help usually ask for that information specifically. But then, my sample size is some 6-10 people.
    May the FOSS be with you!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    again, not everyone wants to screw around with computers. that's how it is and always will be.
    ya..I know. Some people just want to use their computers for work and wonder why they should change if it works perfectly fine already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How much time do you Windows users spend degragging your hard drive.......scanning for viruses.......spyware. How much time do you spend doing fresh installs because you cant disinfect your computer.
    How many times a year does your browser get hijacked......tool bars installed without notice.
    Most Windows users only know how to double click on a program to install it........they know almost nothing about what is going on uder the surface.
    So expecting them to learn how to use Linux is almost an impossibility.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I accidentally deleted Windows Vista when I was installing Ubuntu as part of a dual boot. I clicked on "Guided-- use entire disk". I didn't get frustrated with Ubuntu. It was my fault. Luckily, I had my most important documents backed up. I got Vista back on my laptop since my college requires that I have it, but Ubuntu is my preference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so that worked out for you - good deal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think it is sort of a cultural thing.

Most 'residents' here would presumably agree that you have to understand computing and OS'ing a bit if you want to be able to use a computer for whatever you do use it for.

People insisting on using other environments often think that it ought to 'just work' like any appliance does. After all, scarcely any one knows how to change or adjust a sparking plug or how to disassemble and reassemble the alternator. To be truthful, most people would be surprised to learn that they actually own such things.

I sincerely can not say who of those is right, if any. I know for sure that I prefer knowing about computers and software. But then, I am a fossil in many things.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting comment, popch.

And I don't know that we can say definitely which culture is right, overall. I think it depends on where you are and what you are (supposed to be) doing.

I used to be an office temp, back in the days of Windows 3.11 or so. I wanted things to just work so I could get on with what I was there to do. It was definitely NOT the right thing for me to be trying to change things on the system I was using, or even telling them that I thought there were better options. (I didn't see it that way at the time, and caused a bit of friction.)

At home here I can organise things as I like. Again, though, I have to say I'm probably spending time on it that I really ought to be using for something else. But I get a bit like a dog with a bone and have trouble letting it go.

And professor fate, I admire the way you've taken up this challenge and are giving it your best shot.

Irihapeti
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast