Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promoting Ubuntu In Zimbabwe

Beans

Red face Re: Promoting Ubuntu In Zimbabwe

i think this is a noble idea and i am new i saw you guiys at the IT Africa expo and well was interested in Ubuntu
    well i have a lot of questions

wat is KUbuntu
    switching is it hard koz i am a .net developer so does Ubuntu or any liunx product have a windows equivalent to Visual Studio
    wat level of support do i have
    Wat programing language was used to writte ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Promoting Ubuntu In Zimbabwe

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkMe View Post
    i think this is a noble idea and i am new i saw you guiys at the IT Africa expo and well was interested in Ubuntu
    well i have a lot of questions
    Great to hear from you and good to know that we had an impact at the expo! Questions are welcome of course

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkMe View Post
    wat is KUbuntu
    switching is it hard koz i am a .net developer so does Ubuntu or any liunx product have a windows equivalent to Visual Studio
    wat level of support do i have
    Wat programing language was used to writte ubuntu
    I'm not really a developer myself (although I dabbled a while back), so will bow to anyone else's superior knowledge. I know there are a number of development tools available on Ubuntu, but I don't know enough to comment on their functionality so will leave that to other developers.

There is a huge amount of online support available in forums and mailing lists if you're willing to do a bit of searching. General Ubuntu support is slowly becoming available in Zim, but there are only a few guys doing it right now. As Ubuntu's popularity grows though, there will obviously also be more people supporting it. There are also development companies opening up now in the country that will be focusing on Linux and open source development, which is very promising.

To the best of my knowledge, Ubuntu is mostly written in C, although other languages are also used a lot for applications (like Python).

Generally, switching to Ubuntu depends largely on the individual. Most people do face a certain amount of frustration in the beginning, just because it's "different" to Windows, but if you can get over those hurdles, it's well worth the effort. Hope you do make the switch eventually though