View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I've just upgraded to Gutsy and can't even print the test page using my brother MFC210C

I followed the guide and the printer drivers installed correctly,

I did not install LPR, since the guide said it wasn't necessary for gutsy.

I used firefox to go localhost:631 and found my printer was identified as Brother MFC210C.

When I try to print a test page the printer status changes from 'idle, accepting jobs, published' to 'processing, accepting, published."

The printer is ON, and the ink levels are ok.

Any help very much appreciated, thank you.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I want to my windows box and tried to print a test page on the brother and it worked.

The mfc210c is linked to my ubuntu box via usb and my ubuntu box is networked to my windows box through a router, i use samba to print and transfer files ffrom my windows box to the ubuntu one and vice versa.

If I can print a page from the windows box, why won't anything print from the ubuntu box.

TIA.

Beans

This is weird.

I followed the scanner howto and the scanner works perfectly, even xsane works without having to be root.

The only minor problem I have found with xsane so far is that when I quit, it throws up three errors before finally closing, something about not having permission to save files, but eventually the app closes.

I still can't print from the ubuntu box, but I assume it's some small tweak that I don't know about.

Any Help Appreciated.

Beans

This guide has been a lifesaver for me and my Brother fax2580c. It works in 32 and 64 bit for me if I follow these steps

do the install tcsh
    cd desktop
    download both the lpr and cups driver to the desktop
    force install the lpr then the cupsdriver
    then go to the local host 631 page and print a page from the printers there, using the installed one not the generic

Worked everytime for me in any bit 64, 32, and mint, ultimate, and studio distros

Thanks a million.

Cart
    Last edited by ericartman; December 9th, 2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: commas
    Retired and loving it
    life is a hell of a thing to happen to a human being

Beans

I really need help getting the brother to print.

As I've said above, the printer works when I print from a windowx box over samba, but when I print from the linux box, nothing happens.

The job que shows the job as first running, then processing, then completed, however nothing happens.

The printer is shown as ready, and idle when not in use, printing a test page has no effect.

The printer url in the applet is usb://Brother/MFC-210C

Any help appreciated.

Beans

anyone have any ideas on what could cause this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks a lot BoardDWorld! I am glad to have found this how-to before it had turned into a mega thread like the other one on Brother printers. Everything seems to work, although I had to install the LPR Driver to get over errors while installing MFC210C. Hopefully, guys at Brother Ltd will get the driver for DCP-115C out some day, yet it seems unlikely to happen any time soon. Cheers!

Beans

Ok after much pain I have my MFC-5840CN working in Gutsy amd64. The instructions went fine except it wouldnt print anything. So i edited cupsd.conf and put in LogLevel debug and watched the /var/log/cups/error_log after trying to print a test page and I was getting an error about one of the libraries weren't able to be loaded..... so here is what I had to do

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so.1.0.2 /usr/lib32/libbrcompij2.so.1

apparently it was expecting the library in /usr/lib32 instead of /usr/lib

Scanner installation went just fine.

I hope this can help someone else.

Beans

Thank you for this how-to.
    My DCP-120C didn't print anymore after upgrade to 7.10. Scanning was still OK.
    I followed the printer steps and it went just fine. Thank you!

Beans

Hey, great how to, perfect for someone who is only a little linux savvy like myself. One minor problem that I could use a hand with though. I installed the printer driver perfectly by following your steps. I also installed the scanner driver without much of a hitch, but unfortunately xsane doesn't see the scanner (I have an MFC-465CN) and I need to continue with step 5. The problem is that I have my printer connected directly to the router and I'm not sure how to find the vendor ID as the printer doesn't come up when I enter that one command into the terminal (I assume that list is of things connected to my computer directly). So I just need to know how to find out my vendor ID and all that so I can finish setting this thing up. Thanks for your help.

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast