View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    which tutorial?
    this one!

....if you think your HL-2130 is installed but not working you can delete it and try the installer
    tried, did everything over for the n-th time, failed. did it a n+1:th and it worked! the only thing I can think of that went wrong earlier is some error, which I must have missed.

...if you subscribe to a thread, folks can respond more quickly
    how do I subscribe to threads? can't find it.

again, thanks!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

glad it is working;

to subscribe: go to thread tools: top rightish of screen;

click down to subscribe:

I often subscribe to notify by email and then one keeps in touch quickly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Incidentally I got an MFC-7460DN laser multifunction for office work, the print functions also work perfectly for Ubuntu 12.04.

The scanner isn't fully working. Everything seems to go as normal, in fact scanning from the MFC to the Ubuntu machine is totally normal, but XSane-initiated scans are impossibly tiny ("0.03 cm X 0.03 cm") and can't be changed.

I'm thinking it's either an XSane problem or there's an error in the driver.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    Incidentally I got an MFC-7460DN laser multifunction for office work, the print functions also work perfectly for Ubuntu 12.04.

The scanner isn't fully working. Everything seems to go as normal, in fact scanning from the MFC to the Ubuntu machine is totally normal, but XSane-initiated scans are impossibly tiny ("0.03 cm X 0.03 cm") and can't be changed.

I'm thinking it's either an XSane problem or there's an error in the driver.
    Strange, it was an XSane problem, I'm thinking caused by an error in the Brother driver which set the scanner size values in XSane.

Start Xsane, either on its own or through a program like GIMP. In XSane's menu at the top of the screen, select "Window" - "Show advanced options". This sets the scanner geometry and it's these values that were all screwed up, resulting in a tiny, tiny image size. Comparing these wonky values to the known working ones from the MFC-J615W, the J615W's top-left x and top-left y corners were defined as 0, 0 and the bottom-right x and bottom-right y were defined as 21.57 and 29.97 cm respectively. The 7460's top-left values were 14 some-odd...I can't remember what the bottom-right values were but the end result is that XSane thought the scanner was impossibly tiny.

I just copied the values from the J615W to the 7460 entries, assuming the scanners were the same size, and it now works perfectly.

Weird.

Beans

Thanks BoardDWorld!

Just a note: the step 10 for 64 bits users is not needed any longer since Ubuntu 12.04 as now the directory /usr/lib is shared for 32 and 64 libs: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/43190/where-did-usr-lib64-go-and-what-is-usr-lib-x86-64-linux-gnu

Beans

just upgraded to 12.10 64b and my dcp115c stopped working, followed the instructions in the 1st post and it is working fine thanks to the op.

Beans
    Distro

Dangit, upgraded to 12.10 64-bit and lost scanner functionality on BOTH an MFC-J615W and an MFC-7460DN.

Amazingly the 7460DN's scanner doesn't even work over USB.

Both work fine for printing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

During an upgrade you will be asked if you want to replace your customized cups file with a new version. Don't replace it or you will have to repeat part of the install procedure to get your brother gear to work.

Beans
    Distro

Actually it wasn't an upgrade, I wiped the old install clean and installed new.

I can't help but think it's an obscure permissions issue, but it's odd that both printers work fine yet both scanners don't work, even over USB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

have you tried running "sudo xsane" in terminal. If it works as root (sudo) then its a permissions problem. try this
    I could not get the edit of /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules to work so I just opened a text editor and created a file "51-udev-default.rules that said...
    device nodes
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0666" Then saved it. Then moved it to /lib/udev/rules.d
    Now my scanner works.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast