View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by jfbooth View Post
    What if printer is not listed in the manual printer list? Is there any way to find out if it is BEFORE doing all this?
    There are three links on the Brother website, for the 3 versions of brscan and each lists which models are supported.

For example for my MFC-490CW I had to download the brscan3 package.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

yes, . for my printer (MFC-7440N) I have perused all of the 'linux' brother site info. I have researched threads here also. I find tons of info, but since a lot of it is outdated, it is totally confusing. I am waiting to get clear, concise procedure but I don't think that will happen.

FWIW, I can make a lot of assumptions but unanswered questions remain. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to download from Brother.

Looks like
    cupswrapper driver deb 2.0.2-1 13 KB 2008.Jun.25
    brscan3 32bit deb 0.2.8-1 56 KB 2009.Dec.16
    scan-key-tool 32bit deb 0.2.1-3 43 KB 2009.Apr.09

but I don't know about scan-key-tool .. what is it and do I need it? Guess that is the first question.

Then, there are confusing prerequisites at:

welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/before.html#prereq

Just don't feel I have found the support I need to do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jfbooth View Post
    yes, . for my printer (MFC-7440N) I have perused all of the 'linux' brother site info. I have researched threads here also. I find tons of info, but since a lot of it is outdated, it is totally confusing. I am waiting to get clear, concise procedure but I don't think that will happen.

FWIW, I can make a lot of assumptions but unanswered questions remain. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to download from Brother.

Looks like
    cupswrapper driver deb 2.0.2-1 13 KB 2008.Jun.25
    brscan3 32bit deb 0.2.8-1 56 KB 2009.Dec.16
    scan-key-tool 32bit deb 0.2.1-3 43 KB 2009.Apr.09

but I don't know about scan-key-tool .. what is it and do I need it? Guess that is the first question.

Then, there are confusing prerequisites at:

welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/before.html#prereq

Just don't feel I have found the support I need to do this.
    In order to avoid confusion:

a) ignore the instructions on the Brother website
    b) download only the packages mentioned in the first post of this thread (but of course use brscan3 in your case)
    c) scan-key-tool is not needed, I don't know what it does, but I did not install it and all is working fine

post back if you have problems with the installation.

Beans
    Distro

Partisan, .. thank you for stepping up to my request.

First problem I have is this thread says "Step 4: Download the LPR Driver and CUPS Wrapper." At the Brother site there are two deb files for my printer:

cupswrapperMFC7440N-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
    LPR driver

So I downloaded them. So far, so good. Then this thread says "Install the LPR Driver."

I know you said ignore their instructions but Brother says _under instructions for installing LPR driver)) it clearly says "*** If CUPS is working on your system, we recommend to use CUPS."

Does that mean EITHER/OR? Sounds like they want me to NOT use the LPR download but use the cups download instead and if so, being this thread is outdated, I tend to go w/ Brother on this .. but I am also a Xubuntu idiot. If I am right, this thread discusses USING the LPR driver and that is where all the confusion begins.

So far, I have downloaded cupswrapperMFC7440N-2.0.2-1.i386.deb brmfc7440nlpr-2.0.2-1.i386.deb and brscan3-0.2.8-1.i386.deb (for scanner)

I have also performed "sudo apt-get install tcsh" from this thread. Not sure what to do next. Thread says "Step 7: Install the LPR Driver." but I am not sure that is right.
    Last edited by jfbooth; December 29th, 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, using these instructions (i.e. the ones here in the thread) we end up with both lpr and cups, so I don't quite see what the problems is.

In Step 7 we install lpr, and in Step 9 we install cups.

Beans
    Distro

I think the confusion is in reply #10. First time in this thread that I am able to find that suggests NOT to use LPR. I am installing to Karmic XUBUNTU 9.10.

The thread seems to instruct for installing LPR then at reply 10 is says NOT to (for my distro) if I am reading it right. I can't find, in the thread, where to pick up from where I am at this point.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, I just read reply #10 and you are right, you can safely ignore the step that requires the installation of lpr and head on to cups.

Although I can verify that installing both did not hurt the system (I have Ubuntu 9.10).

Beans
    Distro

that did not work. installing cups indicated I need lpr (go figure) so I installed lpr then cups and have some results but still have problems. here is some info:

cable out of well to cable modem
    ethernet modem to router
    ethernet router to printer
    ethernet router to linux box
    wifi to xp box

xp box sees and uses printer OK

linux box .. probably messed up 'cause I tried some things intuitively.

http://localhost:631/printers/ shows correct printer.
    http://localhost:631/printers/MFC7440N shows the following:

Description: MFC7440N
    Driver: Brother MFC7440N for CUPS (grayscale)
    Connection: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-7440N._ipp._tcp.local/
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm

I do not think connection is correct .. but it could be. Will not print test page.

MFC7440N-8 Test Page anonymous 1k Unknown pending since
    Tue 29 Dec 2009 07:28:50 PM CST

cancel job. go back to printer page .. says:
    MFC7440N MFC7440N Back Room Brother MFC7440N for CUPS Paused - "Destination printer does not exist!"

According to the printer's configuration page, I can ping its IP address 1.192.168.3

Click Applications/System/Printing. Window titled Printer Configuration Localhost shows icon of my printer with a green check mark on it. Click on that icon and get PRINTER PROPERTIES SETTINGS which says , Printer State: Stopped. Destination Printer Does Not Exist. Device URI says dnssd://Brother%20MFC-7440N._ipp._tcp.local/

All options are greyed out .. change Device URI, change Make/Model, Print Test Page, Print Self-test Page, Clean Print Heads ... all greyed out.

POLICIES .. no check in box for Enabled. Check Accepting jobs Shared unchecked.

Will continue this tomorrow. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

It prints. Somehow I had it in my head it was a network printer .. it is a local printer. Thank those who helped me. Will tackle scanner tomorrow. Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just configured my wireless HL-4070CDW for Karmic 9.10 using a combination of multiverse and the instructions in the first post. Note that the printer was previously initialized using a Mac, so if you're just taking it out of the box YMMV.

1. Use synaptic to install brother-cups-wrapper-ac from multiverse.
    2. sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
    3. sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
    4. System -> Administration -> Printing -> New -> Printer
    4a. Network Printer -> select the Brother printer that has a description "AppSocket/JetDirect network printer via DNS-SD" -> forward
    4b. Enter description -> Apply
    5. Print a test page.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast