View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hi , guys I am breaking my head on this issue. No matter how many times i download the correct lpr file from Brother site i am always having the following error. I am following the step by step to the hilt but still getting this have done repeat of theis several times same result. Help Help , i am new to Ubuntu.

Code:
    suprit@namindodell:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
    dpkg-deb: --control mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci
    (Reading database ... 160490 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mfc6490cwlpr (from mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb) ...
    dpkg-deb: --fsys-tarfile mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
    cp: cannot stat `mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb': No such file or directory
    cd: 52: can't cd to debian/*/
    dpkg: error processing mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb (--install):
     corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
    suprit@namindodell:~/Desktop$
    I have done all the pre-requisites as per the brother linux help site. Infact i had installed the printer correctly in Jaunty as WUBI install , but ow with this new Jaunty install on seperate partition ( ext4) i am unable to make this work. Is my tar unpacking package corruptes , or the driver file at Brother web site is corrupted , or simply some other problem I cannot say.

Pls help Help.
    Last edited by ozkhalsa; August 28th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Having problems with the Scanner on my Brother MFC-8860DN

I downloaded the 'brscan2' and 'skey' drivers and installed them.

A driver check (grep Brother) is positive.

ii brmfc8860dnlpr 2.0.1-1 Brother MFC-8860DN LPR driver
    ii brscan-skey 0.2.1-3 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii brscan2 0.2.4 Brother Scanner Driver
    ii cupswrappermfc8860dn 2.0.1-2 Brother MFC8860DN CUPS wrapper driver

When running brscan-skey I get no confirmation on screen and when I run Sane I get the error "Failed to open 'brother2:bus1:dev1; Error during device I/O"

Looking at the Brother site it says I should edit /etc/udev.rules.d/45-libsane.rules but there is no such file!!??

I've had the printer working fine for some time (and it still is!!).

I also noticed while I was installing several error reports like this ....

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-ian" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-ian" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-ian" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.

Can this be the problem and if so what should I do about it and how??

My Op Sys is Kubuntu 9.4 (32-bit) on an Intel CPU

Thanks

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hi,

I am new to Linux and looking for a solution to connect a Brother DCP-7025 scanner to Kubuntu 9.04 environment.
    It works for sudo but not for the normal user. I have seen a lot of solutions for this particular problem but they all start with the assumption that you have libsane rules - files or permission rules - file in a directory called /etc/udev/rules.d. I don't have these files on my system. I loaded the packages sane and xsane and also gscan2pdf for testing purposes.

Any help would be great !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

You are a genius!!!!

I was able to made my friend's brother printer in Xubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I am very pleased to have found this advice for with its help I finally mangaged to install my newly bought Brother printer.Due to a misunderstanding of the instructions given in the Brother Solutions Center I have spent hours trying to understand what I did wrong. The answer was that it was necessary to install the lpr file before the cupswrapper.

Thank you very much

Beans
    Hidden!

After two days of getting the Brother MFC420CN to work, I stumbled upon this thread. I followed along and got the printer working in no time. Thank you for this wonderful how to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For Karmic you have to do this

Create 55-libsane.rules file in directory /etc/udev/rules.d/ with an editor you like

Code:
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    Then restart udev with

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by desperado666 View Post
    For Karmic you have to do this

Create 55-libsane.rules file in directory /etc/udev/rules.d/ with an editor you like

Code:
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    Then restart udev with

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

I had this up and running in Intrepid following the how to on the first page. Xsane scanner worked great. I upgraded to Karmic, and now Xsane only sees my MFC-210C scanner if I run it as sudo Xsane.

I added the 55-libsane.rules file above but still no go. Do I need to delete the 45* rules I made before? And, how do I get Xsane to play nice without being root?

Also, lsusb does not see the printer. Only sudo lsusb brings it up. This seems like some kind of permissions thing but I can't figure it out. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks.

Cheers,
    brook
    Last edited by brookie; October 31st, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: sp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, I found a fix on post #253, thanks Docgk. My MFC-210C scanner is now working. But I have some questions about cleaning up all of this stuff now if anyone can help.

1. Do I need the 45* and 55* rules I made in /etc/udev/rules.d/ or can I delete them?

2. I found anther link that said to change the fstab file like:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

ADD:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto,devmode=0666 0 0

sudo umount /proc/bus/usb
    sudo mount /proc/bus/usb
    sudo mknod -m 666 /dev/usbscanner c 180 48

I did that. So can I delete this after doing the stuff in post #253?

3. And last but not least, when I edited /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules, the top of the file stated something like, 'do not edit this file.... it will be over written on update...'

...so will I have to redo this edit after my system gets some type of kernel update or something?

Thanks,
    brook

Beans

I created the "55-.." file and I also added my model MFC6800 (vendor=="04f9" product=="0111") to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules Everything works fine.

However I'm also curious how Brother could recommend editing a file to be overwritten upon relevant update?

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast