View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Thanks!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the OP, I was able to talk my mum through the walkthrough in 20 mins over the phone and it worked like a charm!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

for a lot of models lps drivers and cups wrapper are already packaged in universe.
    simply try to find your model name in synaptic searching name&description.

my dcp353c drivers are included in brother-cups-wrapper-extra and brother-lpr-driver-extra.

i think all requirements for installation will be resolved from apt (for example csh is a required package)

i didn't test those packages, because i already installed all the stuff following this thread procedure, but i don't see why it shouldn't work

cheers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I can't get my DCP-120c to install properly on xubuntu intrepid. I have followed the instructions carefully and repeated over 10 times!

The printer appears to be installed but when I try to print a test page it hangs on "processing" and the print job manager says "Printer MFC-210C may not be connected.".

When I installed; I got this;

Code:
    d4nnyt@d4nnyt-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 198673 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace cupswrappermfc210c 1.0.2-3 (using cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb) ...
    lpadmin: The printer or class was not found.
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ OK ] 
    Unpacking replacement cupswrappermfc210c ...
    Setting up cupswrappermfc210c (1.0.2-3) ...
    rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ OK ]
    "lpadmin: The printer or class could not be found." - Does that have anything to do with why it wont work?

Cheers,
    Danny

Beans

The install is still the same but I managed to get the printer to print by terminal;

Code:
    sudo chmod a+rwx /dev/usb*
    Don't know what it means, but it prints after I type this in.

When I restart the computer it no longer prints and I have to use the same fix again.

With this knowledge does anyone know a complete fix or how to make this permanent?

Regards,
    Danny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Had some problems getting my DCP-7020 to print under 64-Bit Intrepid. Had to create some symbolic links as described by the FAQ:

Code:
    The reference directories for 32 bit applications have changed on the 64 bit version of Ubuntu7.10.
    If your version shows the following files after the installation, you will have to make symbolic links for them under /usr/lib32.

Example of the command (Issue the command as a superuser);
    ln -s /usr/lib/libbrcomplpr2.so /usr/lib32/libbrcomplpr2.so

List of files required to make symbolic links

/usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so
        /usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so.1
        /usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so.1.0
        /usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so.1.0.2

/usr/lib/libbrcompij.so.1
        /usr/lib/libbrcompij.so.1.0
        /usr/lib/libbrcompij.so.1.0.4

/usr/lib/libbrcomplpr.so

/usr/lib/libbrcomplpr2.so

/usr/lib/libbrcompcl1.so
        /usr/lib/libbrcompcl1.so.1
        /usr/lib/libbrcompcl1.so.1.0
        /usr/lib/libbrcompcl1.so.1.0.0
    Seems to be working now.
    Last edited by Roger Mudd; December 20th, 2008 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

deleted
    Last edited by ambiogas; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: delete

Beans

Hi, not quite sure on the exact relevance to this thread but by following instructions here I have managed to get my DCP-135c working on Hardy, mostly. I cant seem to print off anything where I set the paper as "Brother premium Glossy photo paper" or "other photo paper". According to ubuntu, the info gets sent to the printer ok and is not showing as queued in the printer spool, the printer shows "receiving data" for a few minutes, makes a few noises, then stops doing anything and says "data remaining".
    According to the destructions, "Print data is left in the machine's memory. Re-start printing from your computer."
    But doing as suggested in the manual gets the printer stuck in "receiving data"?

It prints fine if I select normal paper (the default selection for paper type)?

Beans

Just letting people know that on eeebuntu 8.04 I had to manually reconfigure my printer in the cups webinterface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Just to say thanks to the OP. This worked for a DCP-350C, on Hardy 8.04 with the addition of the link to the Scanner permissions fixed from sub-post #160.

Cheers
    Cal
    Last edited by Cal55; December 29th, 2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added model number.

Beans

This was an excellent tutorial. It works perfectly for DCP-9040CN model (bought in Japan).

Printer and scanner working via usb and network.

Prior to finding this tutorial, I found that the cups "MFC-9420CN BR-Script3" and cups "HL-4000CN Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)" worked equally when printing, the colors seemed a bit off and light though.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast