Thread: What do you imagine is better: setting up WEP or using a MAC access list on my r

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What do you imagine is better: setting up WEP or using a MAC access list on my r

I just set up an access list and typed in all the MAC addresses of my computers. That seemed like an easier alternative than having a really long password to type in on every computer.

What do you think is more secure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: What do you imagine is better: setting up WEP or using a MAC access list on my r

Neither. There are tools available to automate the process of cracking WEP passkeys, and it's easy to spoof MAC addresses. The safest thing is to use WPA or WPA2. And you don't need to type the passkey every time: you can just store it in your keyring.

EDIT: jinx! lol
    Last edited by p_quarles; October 25th, 2007 at 01:15 AM.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: What do you imagine is better: setting up WEP or using a MAC access list on my r

why aren't you using WPA/2?

WEP can be cracked in less than a minute now. mac addresses can easily be spoofed, etc.

*edit* p_quarles damn you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just do mac address filtering as I am way in the suburbs. Just to keep neighbors from grabbing it. Sure its easy to spoof mac addresses, but its not like people are war driving through my neighborhood. WPA is such a pain to setup, I just grew tired of dealing with it. 90% of people will leave it alone as soon as they see they can't access it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

it's not a pain at all in gutsy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    it's not a pain at all in gutsy.
    Its not Gutsy. Its XP mostly. POS won't connect for no reason and the only thing that fixes it is to re-setup the profile. Then I got to go find the 54 or whatever character hex key and put it back in, twice. Gets old very fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmaxx View Post
    Its not Gutsy. Its XP mostly. POS won't connect for no reason and the only thing that fixes it is to re-setup the profile. Then I got to go find the 54 or whatever character hex key and put it back in, twice. Gets old very fast.
    For WPA, keep it on a text file on your desktop, your my documents, or if you're feeling really insecure, a floppy disk hidden underneath a magazine stack.

Maybe there's an application similar to the GNOME keyring manager for windows, that you could download?

Simply because WEP is broken. Very.

Although, for what it's worth, if you have to use WEP, use mac filtering as well as a decent pass.
    Last edited by original_jamingrit; October 25th, 2007 at 03:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmaxx View Post
    eh? wpa/2 is even easier to set up in XP. my post was directed at the OP anyway.