Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm stepping down - LoCo needs a leader

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation I'm stepping down - LoCo needs a leader

I answered the call for someone to do the work needed to set up the North Carolina LoCo. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do this default leadership position justice in light of my more pressing political activism agenda.

That said, I'd like to see the LoCo try to arrange a meeting in IRC to nominate a leader for this LoCo and have them take the reigns.

The heavy lifting is already done. All of the infrastructure is in place. Most of what needs to be done now is scheduling regular meetings and trying to stoke the fires of Ubuntu advocacy.

I will crosspost this message to the mailing list and the forum.

-Magnus (viridari)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: I'm stepping down - LoCo needs a leader

That's quite unfortunate... this may be a detriment to the LoCo's success. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a lazy (and busy) person to replace you. Hope someone steps up.

Beans
    Distro

From the CoC:
    Step down considerately. Developers on every project come and go and Ubuntu is no different. When you leave or disengage from the project, in whole or in part, we ask that you do so in a way that minimises disruption to the project. This means you should tell people you are leaving and take the proper steps to ensure that others can pick up where you leave off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So do we handle this North Carolina style and have a pig pickin', lots of beer and stick a LoCo leader name tag on the first person to pass out or what?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I believe a local meeting is needed so we may establish official posts with individuals in place and start from there. As mentioned already, the heavy lifting is done but we need folks willing to set aside a small amount of time for a term (12 mo) or so to keep forward motion or momentum.

I see sporadic membership across the state with quite a few centered around the Greensboro and RTP areas which is too far to drive for either for meetings. I suggest maybe a main council with regional loco's under this to aide in this effort and then coordinated quarterly or semi-annual centralized meetings for the full lo-co. Any thoughts on this?

I'm in the Raleigh area so I don't mind helping out wherever or whenever I can.
    ----Seems all the hardware manufacturers are getting lazy and cheap and cowing down to Microcrap's wishes to make everything plug-n-pray.---

Beans
    Distro

Local meetings for the LoCo are impractical, unfortunately. At least for this task, anyway. The state is too large. We have members from Charlotte to the coast and everywhere in between. Any in-person meeting is going to inconvenience most members, no matter where it is held.

Traditionally meetings like this are done in IRC. Some of us are in #ubuntu-northcarolina right now, actually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Local meetings for the LoCo are impractical, unfortunately. At least for this task, anyway. The state is too large. We have members from Charlotte to the coast and everywhere in between. Any in-person meeting is going to inconvenience most members, no matter where it is held.

Traditionally meetings like this are done in IRC. Some of us are in #ubuntu-northcarolina right now, actually.
    Regional meetups, shared over IRC at least. This state is only 800+ miles wide.

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

meet ups aren't out of the question. I'd be willing to travel just to be able to interact with other loco members in person besides just on the IRC. The IRC is a great tool but face to face adds another element to it and can inspire more action to take place. I'm mean Mark's right this state isn't Texas I'm sure others would be willing to travel a couple hours to link up. just a thought

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am new to Ubuntu and only an average computer user, but I am willing to help out any way that I can. Anyone out there, please let me know how I an help.

n.b. I plan on enrolling in a Ubuntu coarse in Jan with SavoirFaireLiux.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello All North Carolina Local Team Members,

I volunteer to take over the role of leader.

I am currently unemployed so I have too much time on my hands. Some minor carpentry projects are supplementing the feeble UI payments.

Yes, I am a carpenter. A carpenter that has been using Linux since 1998.

The only new idea I have to offer is dividing our state into regions. And then seeing if we can organize some events based on those regions.

I just heard from viridari.

I would really like to see some realistic activity for this LoCo team and would like to help organize the some events. I'm thinking Installfests and/or demos.

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast