Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Which binary did you download, did you download one appropriate for your CPU? Try running ldd on zsnes. Also, did you do the symbolic link?

EDIT: Better just ask, what CPU do you have?
    Last edited by dfreer; May 18th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    Which binary did you download, did you download one appropriate for your CPU? Try running ldd on zsnes. Also, did you do the symbolic link?

EDIT: Better just ask, what CPU do you have?
    AWESOME! I don't know what I missed before, but I got it working now! Thanks a lot of your help!

Are you planning on adding this to your repo also?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ZSNES is running just great these days, but out of nowhere I'm not able to load a rom
    now. When I click the rom, it just reverts back to the menu as if nothing happened. I
    ran it from the terminal, but that gives no output on the error. Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shanepardue View Post
    ZSNES is running just great these days, but out of nowhere I'm not able to load a rom
    now. When I click the rom, it just reverts back to the menu as if nothing happened. I
    ran it from the terminal, but that gives no output on the error. Please help!
    It's just this one rom..It worked fine and now it doesn't. Is it possible the rom became corrupt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey dfreer, thanks for your work on this problem. I've tried compiling my own build of the experimental builds on two different machines with no luck on either one. I've tried compiling my own and also tried the ready-made builds on the zsnes forums. All give me segmentation fault during the sound check (after 0 mice detected).

One computer is an Intel Celeron, the other is on Athlon 64 3200+. 1.51 works on the Celery, but no sound with anything but sdl, and sdl sounds like crap and often crashes really hardcore and I have to reboot before zsnes will run normally again.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's any new progress on this yet or if you have any suggestions on how to fix it, since some people have got it working well.

Edit: Finally got the one from the repositories working on the Celery machine using one of the posted workarounds. I was missing the "must reboot to work" step. Still no luck at all getting an x64 version working though.

Edit: OK, Got it working on 64-bit, and here's how, rather than build my own I followed the directions given by Cappy here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...25&postcount=2
    Code:
    wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/z/zsnes/zsnes_1.510-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg --force-all -i zsnes_1.510-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
    Now you'll get the segfault if you just try to run zsnes, so I decided, the error is coming from the sound module, so just like in x86, run "$ zsnes -ad sdl" the first time to force SDL for the sound layer and it works. Using the same command with oss or alsa options gave an invalid sound driver error.

Other people have found this working as well, but I only have just now found one post about it, so I'm posting this for anyone else who has these problems and might find the answer here.
    Last edited by Hooya; June 19th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.

Beans

:~/zsnes_1_51/src$ make
    g++ -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__ -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -D__LIBAO__ -D__OPENGL__ -march=pentium-m -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fforce-addr -s -D__RELEASE__ -fno-rtti -o tools/fileutil.o -c tools/fileutil.cpp
    tools/fileutil.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
    tools/fileutil.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
    make: *** [tools/fileutil.o] Error 1

I'm using a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 wiht 64-bit gutsy, so O_O?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    It really depends on the package. My libao package will certainly fail due to reasons mentioned here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=61

In this case however, especially now that Nach has provided us with a patch for znses, it is probably best to either wait for a hardy package or install zsnes manually.

This is what I would do:
    • Uninstall any packages you may have already installed
    • Download a 1.51b binary here:
      http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11513
    • Symbolically link the files in /usr/lib32/ao/plugins-2/ to /usr/lib/ao/plugins-2/
      You'll probably want to rename them when linking them, as their are already files of the same name in that folder.
    • Run the binary for the first time with zsnes -ad oss.
    • Enjoy!
    Just wanted to say thanks, dfreer. Also, a big thanks to Nach for his efforts as well. This comes despite his coming off like a linux elitest *** in that post you linked to, dfreer. Does he not realize that Ubuntu is geared towards "everyone" which includes noob converts from windows like myself?

Anyway, your method described above with the symlinks worked well for me (i just renamed all the links to lib32*.so). After that, ./zsnes without any switches works perfect out-of-the-box for me. I should probably note, though, that I am using OSSv4 with ALSA and PulseAudio disabled and all but entirely gone from my system.

NOTE: I didn't do that just for zsnes, though, trust me. Rather than relate my headaches with sound, I'll let this guy sum it up in a more generalized way: http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/05/sorry-state-of-sound-in-linux.html

Beans

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by shanepardue View Post
    It's just this one rom..It worked fine and now it doesn't. Is it possible the rom became corrupt?
    Possibly. You should be able to replace the ROM without destroying your saved games/saved states, just make sure to rename the new ROM to the same name as the old one. BTW, the errors you mentioned on the last page concerning the mouse are quite normal, just ignore them:
    Code:
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event6. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    ManyMouse: 0 mice detected.
    The segmentation fault has nothing to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HonorSystem View Post
    Also, a big thanks to Nach for his efforts as well. This comes despite his coming off like a linux elitest *** in that post you linked to, dfreer.

Rather than relate my headaches with sound, I'll let this guy sum it up in a more generalized way: http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/05/sorry-state-of-sound-in-linux.html
    BTW, just in case you didn't know, Nach is the author of that blog you linked to. Just thought it funny
    EDIT: also, that link is broken. The correct link is this:
    http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/200...-in-linux.html

When I was last playing with linux, OSS4 worked amazingly well on my system. I'm glad you got zsnes working!

Quote Originally Posted by themostunoriginalname View Post
    :~/zsnes_1_51/src$ make
    g++ -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__ -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -D__LIBAO__ -D__OPENGL__ -march=pentium-m -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fforce-addr -s -D__RELEASE__ -fno-rtti -o tools/fileutil.o -c tools/fileutil.cpp
    make: *** [tools/fileutil.o] Error 1

I'm using a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 wiht 64-bit gutsy, so O_O?
    For one, you cannot compile zsnes as a 64-bit binary. I also have not successfully been able to compile zsnes as a 32-bit binary from a 64-bit system. Although that might just be me being dumb, I haven't tried it for quite some time.

Furthermore, the march you'd want to use is core2 or possibly nocona, and not pentium-m.

If you can't use one of the binaries linked here:
    http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11513
    I'd suggest grabbing a Hardy i386 Live CD, installing these two packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libao-dev
    sudo apt-get build-dep zsnes
    Then, using the source code linked above, try compiling zsnes like so:
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-libao --enable-release force_arch=core2
    Also, if you are really dead set on compiling in x86_64, basically you need to tell gcc that you want a 32-bit binary, by passing it some options. This thread might help you with that part, although it's for SuSE linux it should still be of use:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/...it-10-3-a.html
    Last edited by dfreer; June 29th, 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Beans

I thank you so very much! I had such an impossible time getting this to work in Hardy (darn you PulseAudio!), so I just installed Debian Lenny.

I, too, couldn't connect to the repository via apt-get or Synaptic. However, manually browsing to the repository and hand-installing the files with dpkg worked fine.

Now ZSNES works great! Thank you so much!

EDIT: I seemed to have jumped the gun a bit. Sound doesn't work at all.
    I have tried -ad auto, -ad oss, -ad alsa09, -ad arts, -ad nas, and -ad sdl. None work. Sound works flawlessly everywhere else.

Note: I am not on Hardy and am not using PulseAudio.
    Also, -ad oss, -ad nas, and -ad arts print "Audio Open Failed" in the terminal. Everything else prints "Audio Opened."

I don't seem to have aRts installed, so I'd expect it not to work.

Lastly, I have the package libsdl1.2debian-all installed.

EDIT: SDL works now (not too sure how it got fixed), but it sounds quite scratchy with a lot of problems.

I tried every single sampling rate, but they all either have no sound, or bad quality.

Also note that I had no problems at all on 32-bit, so it isn't a problem with my hardware.
    Last edited by Pauan; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Question Re: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

OK, now I am completely lost. Can you post a step-by-step amd64 Hardy install for someone just learning linux?

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast