Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Hmmm... it seems to work from here... I wonder if it has to do with the webhop? It seems further testing is in order.

You should be able to reach the gutsy amd64 packages manually here:
    http://packages.dfreer.org/pool/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    Hmmm... it seems to work from here... I wonder if it has to do with the webhop? It seems further testing is in order.

Thanks! I'm available for helping you test if you need help. I'm anxious to get ZSNES
    working on this machine. However, I am running Hardy and you're working to get this
    working in Gutsy?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shanepardue View Post
    Thanks! I'm available for helping you test if you need help. I'm anxious to get ZSNES
    working on this machine. However, I am running Hardy and you're working to get this
    working in Gutsy?
    I have repos for gutsy, feisty, dapper, and debian stable/unstable (been working with zsnes for some time now). However, I haven't created the hardy repo yet because ZSNES + Hardy + pulseaudio == giant mess.

If you figure out how to get OSS sound with libao to actually work with pulseaudio, I can incorporate it into hardy package.

EDIT: I'm actually seriously considering making the hardy zsnes package conflict with pulseaudio, I like the idea of pulseaudio but I'd rather have sound working perfectly like before.
    Last edited by dfreer; May 14th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

EDIT: I'm actually seriously considering making the hardy zsnes package conflict with pulseaudio, I like the idea of pulseaudio but I'd rather have sound working perfectly like before.
    +1. I have deactivated pulseaudio just by removing it through aptitude. The only dependency is ubuntu-desktop. Now, things are working way better for me. I read other people did the same. So I would really like a zsnes version for hardy which do not depend on pulseaudio to work.

Beans

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11510

Things are looking good, thanks to Nach (once again)! Still working on the repository.

EDIT: In case anyone didn't bother to click the link, it contains a patch for zsnes 1.51 that fixed the sound issues for at least me. It also contains a link to binaries with this patch already included.
    Last edited by dfreer; May 15th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So I tried this again and it worked. Maybe I was doing something wrong before.

Except for the sound it's great. Is the sound not supposed to be working yet or is that something I'm doing wrong?
    cigarettes and chocolate milk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmatador View Post
    So I tried this again and it worked. Maybe I was doing something wrong before.

Except for the sound it's great. Is the sound not supposed to be working yet or is that something I'm doing wrong?
    Did you try the new 1.51b binaries or compile it yourself for hardy? Or did you not read the post directly above yours?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do the packages for Gutsy usually work in Hardy on and AMD64 machine? I get a failed installation on the lib32ao2_0.8.8-3.0_gutsy-amd64.deb package.

Thanks for any input!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shanepardue View Post
    Do the packages for Gutsy usually work in Hardy on and AMD64 machine? I get a failed installation on the lib32ao2_0.8.8-3.0_gutsy-amd64.deb package.

Thanks for any input!
    It really depends on the package. My libao package will certainly fail due to reasons mentioned here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=61

In this case however, especially now that Nach has provided us with a patch for znses, it is probably best to either wait for a hardy package or install zsnes manually.

This is what I would do:
    • Uninstall any packages you may have already installed
    • Download a 1.51b binary here:
      http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11513
    • Symbolically link the files in /usr/lib32/ao/plugins-2/ to /usr/lib/ao/plugins-2/
      You'll probably want to rename them when linking them, as their are already files of the same name in that folder.
    • Run the binary for the first time with zsnes -ad oss.
    • Enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With his files, I downloaded one, extracted it and ran ./zsnes..this is my error message..

Code:
    Starting Mouse detection.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event6. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event5. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event4. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event3. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event2. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event1. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    Unable to poll /dev/input/event0. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
    ManyMouse: 0 mice detected.
    Segmentation fault
    It appeared to be a mouse problem so I even tried it with the -j argument to disable the mouse, but it still results with the same error and a crash.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast