Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AntiVirus

Beans

AntiVirus

Just wondeed what AntiVirus software people are using with ubuntu.

I've installed the Aegis Virus Scanner from the ubuntu repositories and that picked up a w32/magistr.a@mm virus in /usr/lib/win32/vp31vfw.dll which is a windows codec that I've now deleted. This was also from the ubuntu repositories so it is probably worth people checking theirs out.

HH.

Beans

Re: AntiVirus

Quote Originally Posted by hitchhiker

I've installed the Aegis Virus Scanner from the ubuntu repositories and that picked up a w32/magistr.a@mm virus in /usr/lib/win32/vp31vfw.dll which is a windows codec that I've now deleted. This was also from the ubuntu repositories so it is probably worth people checking theirs out.

HH.
    I'm not in my ubuntu distro right now so i dont know if a package is available but ClamAV ( http://www.clamav.net/ ) looks promising. Interesting, i've never tried Aegis, gonna test it out tonight.
    -mike powers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

You don't need a virusscanner unless you want to protect windowsmachines in your network.

Beans

Yep, if you're only using linux there's no need of anti-virus programs. A firewall at least (there is no such thing as a 100% bullet proof OS)
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hitchhiker

HH.
    good chance that's a false alarm! Also, Windows viruses can't infect Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Reading that, though, made me wonder if the original DLL was an infected file. I know it won't affect my system, but if I were to copy it to a Windows machine, would the machine get infected?
    Not that I plan on trying...

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, that's the all point of having an AV in Linux System, if you didn't scan you linux system you will never know if you have win32 virus, so if you pass that data to M$$$ machines....you are done

GOD HELP YOU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This is a false alarm, if use a little google u find out this virus infects files .exe and this case is a file .dll, using aegis-virus-scanner tells me as well i got that virus, just a false alarm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Angry Re: AntiVirus

This strikes home for me though, why?

Wine ... Wine ... Wine!!!

I ran an installer from a loki site, to install Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun. This program worked. When I reboot DISASTER, lost the whole operating system. Could only get as far as working in the shell.

I too did what the author of this post did, and fiddled around with the same virus scanner.

If you have a command and conquer or anything for that matter, and you use a loki installer, good luck to you.

As a consequence of this I do not intend to wine any longer.

I too will be getting rid of the little nasty and installing another .dll file that is not infected. For those of you who want infection free computers, I suggest you google and get an uninfected file.

Cheers
    dumbbeatnix

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by dumbbeatnix View Post
    I too will be getting rid of the little nasty and installing another .dll file that is not infected. For those of you who want infection free computers, I suggest you google and get an uninfected file.
    As stated several times previously, this is a false alarm.

DLL files are NOT executeable files - they are software libraries that contain function calls useful to programes.
    We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation - Voltaire

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast