Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Will Kubuntu ever be default?

Hi,

I was just wondering......I recently installed Kubuntu Gutsy. Whilst going through the upgrade process and reading about Ubuntu and Kubuntu Gutsy I got the impression that since Ubuntu is the default distro of *ubuntu it gets much more attention than kubuntu and the others.

I was curious to know whether this would ever change. Would Canonical ever make Kubuntu the default? Or at least invest equal resources in developing Kubuntu?

For example from what I've read about KDE 4.0, it is going to be quite innovative. Lets say hypotethically that lots of users switch to KDE 4.0, with the result that the majority of users use and prefer KDE. Do you think that Kubuntu could ever become the default?

.....just curious!

BFC
    Ubuntu User # 16592
    Linux User #451958
    www.bluefightingcat.com

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

I sincerely hope not.

Beans
    Distro

Why not? I have to admit I do lean more towards KDE and am very excited about KDE 4.0. I hope it lives up to all the hype.

Do you have any valid reasons (besides looks and available packages) for not wanting KDE?

BFC
    Ubuntu User # 16592
    Linux User #451958
    www.bluefightingcat.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bluefightingcat View Post
    Hi,

I was just wondering......I recently installed Kubuntu Gutsy. Whilst going through the upgrade process and reading about Ubuntu and Kubuntu Gutsy I got the impression that since Ubuntu is the default distro of *ubuntu it gets much more attention than kubuntu and the others.

I was curious to know whether this would ever change. Would Canonical ever make Kubuntu the default? Or at least invest equal resources in developing Kubuntu?

For example from what I've read about KDE 4.0, it is going to be quite innovative. Lets say hypotethically that lots of users switch to KDE 4.0, with the result that the majority of users use and prefer KDE. Do you think that Kubuntu could ever become the default?

.....just curious!

BFC
    Do whaaaat?

Will Kubuntu ever be the default of Ubuntu? Oh boy, that's rich.

I think what you mean is... Will KDE ever be the default Desktop of Ubuntu, which uses Gnome.

The answer lies somewhere between N and O. Hence the reasoning of the K in Kubuntu... It will always have a default Desktop of KDE. Ubuntu will always have Gnome as it's default. The beauty of it is, you can install as many Desktop environments as you like on top of the base OS you install.... You can also install none of them and operate solely from a command line if you so choose.
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

I sincerely hope not.
    +1
    kde is a mess, ugly, with a stuped naming scheme
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is a sensitive subject as personal preference takes high priority here, But from my experiance KDE is more unstable and more system intensive then GNOME. Please correct me if i am wrong.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans

kubuntu is very buggy on my computers. Ubuntu runs way smoother. I like the look and feel of Kubuntu much better. I wish it would perform as well, So I could make the switch
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bluefightingcat View Post
    Why not? I have to admit I do lean more towards KDE and am very excited about KDE 4.0. I hope it lives up to all the hype.

Do you have any valid reasons (besides looks and available packages) for not wanting KDE?

BFC
    What exactly would it take for an individual full of free will, in order to have... as you call it, a valid reason for not wanting to use KDE?

It's all about choice, right. What's good for one, doesn't make it the norm. Just means you have total say over what you choose to use.

IF you like KDE... good on you. I happen to not like it... does that make us Gnome users the bogey man?
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro

Southernman: Ok let me re-phrase my question. Will Kubuntu ever get as much resources and development put into it as Ubuntu? I could be wrong but I get the impression that Canonical spend alot more time and resources on Ubuntu. I mean just compare the websites!

Hessiess: Ugly is not a valid reason. You can make Kubuntu look identical to Gnome, VISTA XP or any other desktop environment. Naming scheme may be stupid but it doesn't make any difference in practice. And well you are going to have to qualify what you mean by "mess".

Nunu: Fair enough. I agree that it is personal preference. Have you had a look at the reviews of KDE 4.0. It's still in development but promises to take a huge leap forward.

BFC
    Ubuntu User # 16592
    Linux User #451958
    www.bluefightingcat.com

Beans

KDE and ubuntu just dont mix. Kubuntu is a buggy buggy implementation. Too bad really. But if you want a good version of KDE that is useable then mepis or pclinuxOS are probably more up your alley.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast