Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ABAQUS: finite element analysis

Beans

Re: ABAQUS: finite element analysis

Hi, it is very much possible to run Abaqus in Ubuntu with out any problem.
    for your satisfaction, I have also attached a screen shot of my desktop with Abaqus running on it.

But on the other hand, I am not a very experienced user of Linux,
    for some reason, I have everything working just fine on my laptop at present, thanks to all the forums. and I just goto windows only for using skype video , rest I stay all time on ubuntu though.

But, it took me more then 2-3 weeks to make Abaqus running on Ubuntu, as it is not supported on Ubuntu and also , I was 1st trying Abaqus 6.5.

anyway, the last thing i remember is running the documentation
    from the cd directly using -nosystemcheck command
    if that doesnt work, i also tried one more thing for installing documention.

I copied the cd on my desktop, then navigate to the documentation installation directory , there u will find a "/media/cdrom0/UNIX/install.bin" which you can run by using the command
    Code:
     chmod a+x install.bin 
     ./install
    also , for documentation, you check this website
    http://www.engin.brown.edu:2080/v6.7/

well , for installing Abaqus, you have to use
    Code:
     /cd/setup -nosystemcheck
    and for running Abaqus, you can make a link for abaqus in your
    /usr/bin directory using command
    Code:
     ln -s /usr/local/abaqus/command/abaqus  /usr/bin/abaqus
    but as pointed out above, due to desktop effects, you will get problem when you will run Abaqus . there for you have to use following command
    [CODE]
    XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 /abaqus_dir/abaqus cae
    [CODE]

or I have made a alias for this command in my bash file
    for making alias, in case you don't know, you can check my friends website
    http://debianrules.blogspot.com/2006/02/alias.html

so i made the alias as
    Code:
     alias abaqus="XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 /abaqus_dir/abaqus"
    and now for running cae, i use command abaqus -cae and for running job, i use command abaqus -job

regarding your kernel problem, so I have no idea, make be you can try updating your system and reinstalling Abaqus from scratch.
    also, just try to command which is mention above for running gui
    XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    and see if it works.

good luck and let us know what did you get, i will try to check my system again later in day and see if I can give you some more help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thanks Cherry316316...

I followed almost the same sequence as you did... I only skipped that flag about disabling desktop effects...

Ok, Uninstalled Abaqus and will start from scatch... Just tell me, did you upgrade Ubuntu with the MESA, Fortran Compiler, and the rest of the stuff in which the install test fails...?

I didn't do it, and maybe that's the point... I Installed the documentation, activated the server, installed the licensing application, and Abaqus with the option /media/cdrom0/setup --nosystemcheck without even trying to upgrade... the only upgrade i did before was installing the different shells from Synaptics, nothing "Abaqus related" at least not directly...

Do you think it might be that...? the cause of cae Kernel error stuff... ?

Thanks for your fast answer...

Alex

Beans

well, as I remember , I did install MESA and fortran complier and stuff,
    as I was stuck with the installation pretty much like you and I tried all the things possible. But, I am not sure which one helped me in the end.

i also checked this website and contacted the guy, as he is the administrator for his lab
    http://blogs.cae.tntech.edu/mwr/2007...ch-amd64-port/

and , as I check my old emails to various person, i see a comment :
    I have also installed FORTRAN , g++ , sun-java6 and mesa , but it refuses to verify.
    in the end, it was unable to verify the mesa, but it worked well with it, for verification , it uses some wired stuff which does not fit well on ubuntu , but with nosystemcheck it works fine
    But there is mesa and DRI provided in Ubuntu also,
    so you can try following command also
    Code:
     abaqus cae -mesa
    but if you want you can installed mesa from this website
    http://www.mesa3d.org/
    and install DRI http://www.mesa3d.org/ for better
    performance

then my next comment was
    when i tried to run abaqus installer according to the command given on your blog
    "/media/cdrom0/setup -nosystemchecks -jre /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/ -console"
    because when i write "-jre system" it says VM not found and stuff.

so with the above command, it does runs and install the Abaqus, but when I run Abaqus after installation,
    it runs in full transparent mode, which I dont know how to fix.

the transparency problem was solved by avoiding the Desktop effect

so for a try , u you can use the above commands and see if they help you, try to update your kernel before installation.
    well good luck.

Beans

Hi again....

Well, i will try a new fresh install of Abaqus;
    Installed Fortan, G++, Mesa, Sun Java6, all with Synaptic.
    One thing still puzzles me: Last time i tried, i opened an rpm for another distro, stripped the libtermcap.so out, placed it in /lib and proceeded, the installer did not complain, so i guess i was on the right track.

This time i want to know if this is the apropriate thing to do, or if i have to tweak some other package to have libtermcap installed...

I have read somewhere that the package libtermcap-compat no longer exists, searched for termcap, and libtermcap in Synaptics... no chance, does libncurses5-dev substitutes libtermcap...? do i have to edit the installer to change all termcap references to ncurses...? I have already installed all ncurses packages... is this enough...? or should i just do like i did before, and strip libtermcap.so out of the rpm for another distro and place it in /lib ?

Thanks in advance...

Beans

i guess , i installed libtermcap from this website, by running the .deb file which i got after using alien http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...ibtermcap.so.2

no , i didnt convert any references to ncurses.

beside,do u have XFree86 or Xorg server configured to load the glx module for abaqus viewer can cae ??

and for mesa, even after installing it, when you will run Abaqus -sysinfo , it won't be able to find mesa , but when u will run, it will just work fine, so dont worry

Beans

Thx Cherry,

That is the same site i downloaded termcap from...

How do i configured XFree86 or Xorg server to load the glx module for abaqus viewer cae...?

Must be pretty simple, but noob as i am... I do not see how...

Thanks

Alex

Beans

Hi again,

Made some more search in forums, and i guess that the way to load glx modules in X Server is editing the section [modules] in xorg.conf...

Could someone give me a hit on the syntax of that line...?

I mean... i hate to mess around with my xorg.conf... had a lot of bad experiences before... I will make a copy like xorg.confOLD, but it would be nice if someone could give me a hint on how to "mess" with [modules] without f***ing X-Server...

Thanks in advance

Alex

Beans

this is what my xorg file says

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

beside, i don't remember on top of my head, but I guess installed separately dri.
    are u still getting kernel problem ?

Beans

Didn't try yet...

Will try tomorrow... just wanted to have all variables controlled so as to know exactly what is the sequence to install correctly:

So far i have installed Fortran, G++, MESA, and Sun-Java6.
    Will update my xorg.conf, and tomorrow for a fresh new install of Abaqus, with positive results... I Hope

Just want to get all the steps correctly so that i can clean winShit partition out of my laptop instead of double booting it...

I Have Abaqus installed in Win... but the WinXP sucks...If i could do all my work in Linux... would be great....

Thanks for your time

Alex

Beans

Well,

No luck man,

Guess i will have to compile the DRI libs from http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/

I am planning to compile the libdrm-2.3.0.tar.gz from http://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/

Since i am using Ubuntu 7.10 I guess i do not need to upgrade to Xorg 6.9...

One strange thing:

When i was installing the documentation, it complained about missing libtermcap.so.2... BUT i installed the termcap....deb package that resulted from
    %alien termcap...rpm, anyway, i uncompressed the rpm package, and cp the libtermcap.so.2 (renamed the lib) to /lib... Didn't complain anymore, and allowed me to start help server...

Installed the licensing, started the lmgrd service, installed the app, export LM_License_file=/usr/local/flexlm/licences/license.dat, and finally...

/usr/local/abaqus/Command/abaqus cae...

... well, the rest you already know... I'm almost giving up any hope here...
    ...guess i will have to go back to Suse Linux 10, without any wireless...

Alex

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast