Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Where to find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Hi I installed Viritualbox in Unbuntu 7.10 and it went well. Now I have installed Windows XP and i would like to install VBoxGuestAdditions but I dont find the iso file. Any suggestions?
    Laptop: HP mini, ubuntu remix
    Destop: Intel Quad 9400, 8 GB, Nvidia GTX260, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Where to find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

boot up the virtual machine, when that is done. go to the devices dropdown menu and click 'install Vbox guest additions'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I had this (embarrassing) problem too. I think it has to with the VBox version in the repos. I don't think it comes with LinuxAdditions. I uninstalled it and got the deb from the VirtualBox site and all was cool.

It "suddenly" appeared in /usr/share/virtualbox/

I mounted the iso in the guest, copied the LinuxAdditions run file to /home and ran it with sudo sh./

All is now well in my virtual world - I can even get a windowless VM! yay.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

Hi!

I also have some similar problem. I mounted the ISO file and run the .RUN file, but I always get a message that I do not have the administrator privileges (thou I have) to install it. Somebody knows why?
    Please help. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Use sudo :

sudo sh xxx.Run
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

To elaborate on what insane_alien said, if you have installed the version from VirtualBox's website (HIGHLY recommended), start the XP guest and click devices>Install GuestAdditions

Now here's the part that's not as intuitive. When you click it, for some people, nothing appears to have happened. But it actually just mounted the iso for you. Just go to My Computer in the XP guest and 'Explore' the Rom to find an executable for guestAdditions.
    Knowledge exists to be imparted.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans

awesome - late thread, but that very last post did the trick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks, ericesque!

That did the trick for me as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hey, I'm running kubuntu under virtualbox and am trying to adjust the resolution since 800x600 is ridiculously small. I've mounted the vboxadditions.iso and run the .run file and get the following:
    Code:
    Installing VirtualBox 1.5.6 Guest Additions, built Tue Feb 19 17:21:02 CET 2008

Testing the setup of the guest system

Building a test kernel module...

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test SRCROOT=/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test modules
    test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
    	echo;								\
    	echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
    	echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";	\
    	echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
    	echo;								\
    	/bin/false)
    mkdir -p /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/.tmp_versions/*
    make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/.test.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include -I/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/ -I/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/include -I/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D__LINUX__ -DIN_RING0 -D_X86_ -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBGL_HGCM -DVBOX_HGCM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(test)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxadd_test)" -c -o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/.tmp_test.o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/test.c
      ld -m elf_i386   -r -o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/test.o 
    (cat /dev/null;   echo kernel//tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.ko;) > /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/modules.order
      Building modules, stage 2.
    make -f /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/scripts/Makefile.modpost
      scripts/mod/modpost -m -a -i /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/Module.symvers -I /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/Module.symvers  -o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/Module.symvers -S -K /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/Module.markers -M /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/Module.markers -w  -s
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/.vboxadd_test.mod.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include -I/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/ -I/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/include -I/tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D__LINUX__ -DIN_RING0 -D_X86_ -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBGL_HGCM -DVBOX_HGCM  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxadd_test.mod)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxadd_test)" -DMODULE -c -o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.mod.o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.mod.c
      ld -r -m elf_i386  --build-id -o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.ko /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.o /tmp/selfgz13036/module/test/vboxadd_test.mod.o
    Inserting the test module module/test/vboxadd_test.ko into the kernel.

Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel module.

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.5 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.5 modules
    test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
    	echo;								\
    	echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
    	echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";	\
    	echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
    	echo;								\
    	/bin/false)
    mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.5/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.5/.tmp_versions/*
    make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.5
    grep: /tmp/vbox.5/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.5/.cmc.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.5/ -I/tmp/vbox.5/include -I/tmp/vbox.5/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -D_X86_ -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBOX_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(cmc)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxadd)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.5/.tmp_cmc.o /tmp/vbox.5/cmc.c
    In file included from /tmp/vbox.5/cmc.c:17:
    /tmp/vbox.5/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:55:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.5/cmc.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.5] Error 2
    make: *** [vboxadd] Error 2

I assume the kernel I have is not yet supported, or am I missing any libraries or anything? I don't know what to make of that log.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast