Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half-life 2 + Source Games on Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Half-life 2 + Source Games on Wine

I have also tried the -novid and the dxlevel options with the same results. I am also not using any desktop effects. I found this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9572
    they say that if you turn off the steam-community in-game setting under setting it will fix it but this does not work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by coldguy View Post
    I'm a noob. How do I use the older version of wine?
    If you were using Feisty, still, I'd tell you to go here:
    http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html
    download the relevant deb package, and install it with
    sudo dpkg -i nameofpackage

Unfortunately, there are no builds of wine with versions below 0.9.46 for Gutsy, so you'd probably have to compile from source.

Same problem. I just upgraded to Gutsy 7.10 and I assume the latest wine from repositories. HL 1 games run fine. Source engine games crash right back to desktop after my monitor clicks. Setting -novid -dxlvl80 -h800 -w1024 don't work either. Steam says drivers outdated and lists Direct3D HAL version 6.14.0.0. I assume thats my DirectX level?
    Sort of. Wine seems to return this to DirectX games, even though it actually supports most of DirectX 8, and enough of DirectX 9 for many games to run using it.

I'm not sure if I'm using the best driver. I have a Gigabyte mobo with AMD690G integrated ATI express 1250 gfx. I enabled the ATI accelerated graphics driver in the restricted drivers manager. How does that compare to compiling the driver from ATI's website?
    People seem to have variable success with different versions of the ATI proprietary driver. There's a brand new version due out by the end of this week, though, so it might be worth waiting for that to see if it improves things. (The current bleeding edge driver improves things for me, but has been unstable for others.)

Before I upgraded to Gutsy, I was able to get to the menu for CS:S and HL2 with the 3d scene in the background. HL2 would crash when trying to start a game, CS:S was able to start, but ran at 2 fps. Then I tried something from a forum post to fix the driver and it broke all source games, instant crash. (I also somehow broke synaptic trying to add mediabuntu reps, not related except thats why I did a fresh install with Gutsy)
    Well, unfortunately, the versions of wine that come with Gutsy seem to be particularly problematic for those with ATI cards - which is apparently more due to problems with the fglrx drivers than with wine, but that doesn't help much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Okay, So I am using the latest restricted nvidia drivers or rather for (the latest cards) I have a 8600GTS by MSI... compiz fusion works unremarkably well, over 400FPS with full rain and everything.. So I decide to install wine and wine-dev from gutsy synaptic,, and I get tahoma, and install steam, and run the browser command.. steam installs perfectly and runs... So i have no sounds and it freezes on the first loading screen after the valve logo and copyrights.. I uncheck everything in audio drivers including driver emulation, and check ALSA, BAM sounds works and everything passes the first loading screen and loads really fast, to the 3d rendered backround image which works perfectly, and when I try and start a game it gets all the way to the end. and just stops with the first little sound clip repeating itself.. should i install an older version of wine? .2 instead of .6??? or is there something I need to mess with in wine config... any help would be amazingly appreciated.. thanks

-patrick
    Just because we were young, it doesn't mean we were wrong.
    1. AMD 4600+ dual-core (2.3ghzx2) 2 Gig DDR2 667 MSI OC 8600GTS 160GB SATA
    2. Intel Centrino 1.6ghz 2gig DDR400 mobility 9600 100gb HD internal ipw2200, cardbus WG511T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    It seems that a lot of people (including me) have found the more recent builds of Wine to be very unreliable with Source engine games like Half life 2.

If you downgrade to wine 0.9.42, this seems to be the most stable version for most people, at present.
    I tried downgrading to wine 0.9.42 and ended up with this error:
    Code:
    fixme:d3d9:IDirect3DDevice9Impl_CreateSurface (0x1bb710) call to IWineD3DDevice_CreateSurface failed
    fixme:d3d9:D3D9CB_CreateSurface (0x1bb710) IDirect3DDevice9_CreateSurface failed
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateTexture Failed to create surface  0xdd6c938
    fixme:d3d9:IDirect3DDevice9Impl_CreateTexture (0x1bb710) call to IWineD3DDevice_CreateTexture failed
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x1bd6e8) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported
    err:d3d:pbuffer_find_fbconfigs Failed to find exact match, finding alternative but you may suffer performance issues, try changing xfree's depth to match the requested depth
    X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
      Major opcode of failed request:  157 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
      Serial number of failed request:  809
      Current serial number in output stream:  811
    Has anyone heard of this error?
    I also tried the patch that was posted on the bug page and got the same error as before.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Time to bring a old topic back to life! I'm suffering this very same problem.. I have a quad-core processor and it seems the videos are just zooming by. I think everything is just going to fast?

Beans

same problem here... pls help

Beans

Unhappy Re: Half-life 2 + Source Games on Wine

I'm having the same problem where my steam games make it to the Valve loader screen and crash, or just crash period. I'm downloading Portal right now to see if that will work, but so far I've tried HL2 and HL2eathmatch with no luck. I've got an HIS Radeon HD 3850 and so far it's been nothing but a pain in the ***, sadly. I just switched to Ubuntu after getting finally fed up with Windows, and I'm regretting having bought an ATI card.. But anyway,

My setup:
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    Wine 0.9.46
    Radeon HD 3850

Here is what has not worked for me so far:
    -Disabling Steam Community In-Game
    -Disabling desktop effects
    -Installing ATI drivers for windows through wine to c:/ so that Steam would think I have the right drivers (Kind of a long shot, but tried it anyway with no luck)
    -HL2 Launch settings -w 1280 -h 1024 -novid

Now it crashes so hard that when I try to load it it logs me out of Ubuntu. I've been working on this for a couple days now, is there a really intensive walkthrough on this anywhere or something?

Beans

i had this problem, hl2 hanging at loading screen. i fixed it by enabling ALSA audio support.

open terminal, run winecfg
    On the audio tab disable OSS support and enable ALSA

hopefully source based games(CSS/HL2/Portal) should start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

OK had the same problems, I set the launch options to

-w 1280 -h 1024 -novid

and disables steam community and all that and all allerts, and the game runs but really flaky, not jumpy, i mean like you get a load of black triangles on the screen, would post a screenshot however game crashed when someone talked to me on aMSN so i didn't get a chance, gonan run it again now

Computer info

Abit IP-95
    GeCube Radeon HD3850 512mb
    Intel P4 3059 MHz
    2gb RAM DDR 2
    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS fully updated
    WINE 1.0-rc1

Hope this is useful and get you underway. Will run HL2 Lost coast and give a comparative benchmark as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12