Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT! Re: 7.10 upgrade with update manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

URGENT! Re: 7.10 upgrade with update manager

Hello everyone, I want to give you a heads-up if you are considering 'upgrading' to Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" via the Update Manager. I strongly advise you not to, at least not at this point. I have just completed the process, and now:
    • My network connections (wireless, ethernet, even usb) are all nonfunctional.
    • Upon boot-up the desktop gives me an "Internal error: HAL failed to initialize" message.
    • My system hangs for long periods.
    • My monitor display settings are screwed up and the Admin>Screen/Appearance app does not work.

I have tried several suggested fixes for these problems (disable auto-login, change video drivers, edit Network settings) and so far none of them have worked. To summarize: my Ubuntu setup is now completely unusable and I don't know at this point if I will be able to fix it. I may do a reinstall from scratch at some point when I have time; probably that will erase all my current files and settings though.

Beans

Angry Re: URGENT! Re: 7.10 upgrade with update manager

I posted of my disaster when following the prescribed update from feisty to gutsy. (search dsiddens) At this time I am left with brick of a laptop. I am definitely in the newbie class and am searching for explicit instructions to get back to a working computer with my /home intact.
    Aboard SV Drakus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: URGENT! Re: 7.10 upgrade with update manager

Man,

I"m sorry to hear that you guys both had trouble. Currently my machine is a little over halfway through the process.

Did either of you get any messages during the upgrade? (Warnings, errors, other wise?)

When you try to boot up, what happens??

Have you tried booting with a live CD? If you can get a live cd up and running perhaps you can copy your important files to another machine or a DVD/CDROM and do a reinstall. I know thats not always desirable, but if it mean you won't lose files, its always worth a shot.

We're here for ya
    --Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

last time I installed I didnt have to delete my files it asked me if i wanted to use the settings and files from the old account and I said yes...
    so i dont know if you have to lose all you files...
    I dont really know what will help all i can think of is the live cd...

and i did it thro the update manager 4 days b4 the release thinking what can they change in 4 days? and i just got the application updates two days which was fine...i havent had any problems other than a banshee crash here or there...so im sorry that it happened and that im no help

Th3 D0ct0R
    Do you enjoy wonderful wood sculptures?
    Well then go here: Bruce G. Long Fine Wood Scupltures
    And if you really like it then add it to your signature
    And spread the word about these wonderful sculptures

Thumbs down Re: URGENT! Re: 7.10 upgrade with update manager

I cannot report any problems with an in-place upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10. An HP 6230 laptop. Works like a charm!

Mike Putnam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was running Gutsy since Tribe 2 on my Server, and Tribe 3 on my Desktop. I haven't upgraded my laptop yet, but I know that my wireless will become nonfunctional since I had to use ndiswrapper to load the drivers.

If you used ndiswrapped to get your wireless working, you will follow the same process you did before, but you will probably just need a newer version of ndiswrapper to handle the newer kernel.

As far as your video issues are concerned, you probably just need to get your drivers working.

Quote Originally Posted by rowanrook View Post
    I may do a reinstall from scratch at some point when I have time; probably that will erase all my current files and settings though.
    Sometimes it seems people run into a lot of trouble with an upgrade rather than a fresh install. Do you have an external hard drive or another computer you can store your files on? There's no reason to have to lose any files that you want to keep. You can also backup settings for programs too if you wish.
    Last edited by Ek0nomik; October 22nd, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hate to rub salt in the wound but everything went flawless for me as well...even got all the fancy effects and no crashes as of yet, but then again, i've rarely gotten crashes in anything ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have had some issues with my radeon 9600 video card using 7.10. I have found that booting kernel 2.6.17-11-386 resolves the issues.

Beans
    Hidden!

I upgraded at the beta and had nothing but problems until I did a clean reinstallation a couple of weeks before the release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For what it's worth, I've upgraded four different boxes from fiesty to gusty, all with very different components via Update Manager and all went without issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast