View Poll Results: Should a native Linux Emulator be developed?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

4 12.90%
  • No!

22 70.97%
  • May be

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion for all Linux distributions!

Beans

Post A suggestion for all Linux distributions!

Hi,

Since there are a LOT of Linux distributions each using different type of environments and settings like some Gnome some KDE, some are Debian based and some are based on other and many other differences between them it is not very easy and beneficial for Software and Game developers to create native Linux software and Games due to the lack of a single platform. Having a single platform is the advantage Windows has and therefore it is easy and comfortable for developers for creating Software and Games for Windows only. I would like to suggest all Linux distributions to get together and remove this hurdle in order to pave way for developers to create software and games for Linux too. For this I would suggest them to create a single native Linux Emulator which could run on any Linux distribution and run native Linux software and games. It should also be easier for the community to run the native Linux software and games on that Emulator. If that is made possible it would really be a boon for the entire Linux community for it would provide a single platform to Linux and developers would seriously consider to create software and games for Linux too. For LInux and its future it would be a far better option than Wine or Cedega the presently available emulators which only run Windows software and games giving further boost to the idea of developing just native Windows software and games to the developers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A suggestion for all Linux distributions!

My suggestion is to be apt-based. It's just sensible to me. And easy for the user.

EDIT: I meant this as just a suggestion for Linux distros in general. But about your idea: why exactly an emulator? if it can already run Linux apps, why does it need to pretend to run linux apps (with the exception of a virtual test environment)
    Last edited by DeadSuperHero; October 22nd, 2007 at 10:53 PM.

Beans

I think you are just slightly missing the point of emulators. Emulators are designed to allow software from one operating system to be run on a completely different one. When you say "Native Linux Emulator", it's basically an oxymoron: if an application is native to an operating system, then no emulator is required to run it! Under the hood, virtually all Linux distributions are the same...the major difference among them all is really in the package management system. What would be a better idea is the development of system-agnostic packages (like autopackage) that would remove the hurdle of designing packages for X different distributions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Martial-law View Post
    Hi,

Since there are a LOT of Linux distributions each using different type of environments and settings like some Gnome some KDE, some are Debian based and some are based on other and many other differences between them it is not very easy and beneficial for Software and Game developers to create native Linux software and Games due to the lack of a single platform. Having a single platform is the advantage Windows has and therefore it is easy and comfortable for developers for creating Software and Games for Windows only. I would like to suggest all Linux distributions to get together and remove this hurdle in order to pave way for developers to create software and games for Linux too. For this I would suggest them to create a single native Linux Emulator which could run on any Linux distribution and run native Linux software and games. It should also be easier for the community to run the native Linux software and games on that Emulator. If that is made possible it would really be a boon for the entire Linux community for it would provide a single platform to Linux and developers would seriously consider to create software and games for Linux too. For LInux and its future it would be a far better option than Wine or Cedega the presently available emulators which only run Windows software and games giving further boost to the idea of developing just native Windows software and games to the developers.
    **cough** cygwin **cough**
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

I think a standardized ABI would be easier.

Beans

Well you don't even have to use GTK or QT if you dont want to use that "desktop integrations" in fact few games do.

As for installation and all, im sure many distros would be willing to work with closed source developers to create binaries for all different managers. By "working with" id mean "Yes we will give you permission so you to do all the work and create a distro specific installer for our game"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not an emulator but a way to make QT apps and GTK apps work and look properly on the other DE with out it's libs installed.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

That would be nice but, it's like running an emulator of an OS on the native OS. Also, could you please use paragraphs, that's hard to read

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

it is not very easy and beneficial for Software and Game developers to create native Linux software and Games due to the lack of a single platform.
    There are differences between distributions but all software should work just fine.

I would like to suggest all Linux distributions to get together and remove this hurdle in order to pave way for developers to create software and games for Linux too.
    We have that. It's called the Linux Standards Base.

For this I would suggest them to create a single native Linux Emulator which could run on any Linux distribution and run native Linux software and games.
    An emulator is used to run software on other platforms. This topic can become confusing though because there is a lot of terminology and only slight differences between them. An emulator translates the actual CPU calls into different ones. Virtualization is the abstraction of hardware which makes the software think that it is running on its own machine. The CPU calls are not translated, they are already native. This just separates the computers resources so that it can run multiple operating systems.

For LInux and its future it would be a far better option than Wine or Cedega the presently available emulators which only run Windows software
    If I were a WINE developer I would slap you silly. Be thankful I'm not. WINE is an acronym which stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". WINE is actually just a port of the Windows API to Linux. Cedega is the same thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Sorry to sound a little blunt here, but I really don't think you understand the basics of the linux operating system. Basically, all of the current distros can run linux software, because they are all linux.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast