Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: When Ubuntu can't even upgrade without hassles,how can we rate Ubuntu over Windows ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: When Ubuntu can't even upgrade without hassles, how can we rate Ubuntu over Windo

Quote Originally Posted by tyggna1 View Post
    Every 10 of those, Vista has completely destroyed their hard drive (has to do with it's fundamental change in bootup).
    Just yesterday, I had a girl call in who, during the process of upgrading to Vista, the attempt to upgrade completely trashed a gigabyte stick of RAM.
    I'm gonna call BS on this one. Please explain to me (in detail) how an OS destroys hardware whereby it makes it completely non-functional (e.g., a brick). In particular, a stick of ram. Don't you think that if one in every ten copies of Vista physically destroyed hardware it would make the news?
    Last edited by kamaboko; October 21st, 2007 at 05:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: When Ubuntu can't even upgrade without hassles,how can we rate Ubuntu over Window

Quote Originally Posted by whistlerspa View Post
    Thanks for That am downloading it now.
    However there seems to be something seriously wrong with this disk - first run seemed to corrupt my Mac HDD and then after repair and retry the monitor turned some very strange colours when I tried to boot the disk into live.

I won't try again I think.

Beans
    Distro

Re: When Ubuntu can't even upgrade without hassles,how can we rate Ubuntu over Window

@ the OP, I am going to have to call BS to nearly every letter you typed.

How long have you been using Ubuntu... of any GNU/Linux OS prior to your posting your findings here?

Your points are, for the most part, based off of someone elses experience. You are lumping the whole of it, to those people that reported their problems here. While some of the people that have flawless upgrades do indeed post about their success... the vast majority don't. They just continue on their merry way. So your not so scientific methods are flawed

You say it isn't a Ubuntu vs Windows thing, right? Yet, that's the title of your thread, in more words than that.

Did I attempt an upgrade this round?... NO, I didn't. I opted to do a clean install. While I did have problems with it, none of them can be directly related to Ubuntu as they were caused by ill handling hardware issues from my ASUS motherboard (the same issues I had with Feisty). BTW, I only had two issues to overcome. I myself, am far from a GNU/Linux guru... with only < than a years seat time!
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro

Re: When Ubuntu can't even upgrade without hassles, how can we rate Ubuntu over Windo

Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    I'm gonna call BS on this one. Please explain to me (in detail) how an OS destroys hardware whereby it makes it completely non-functional (e.g., a brick). In particular, a stick of ram. Don't you think that if one in every ten copies of Vista physically destroyed hardware it would make the news?
    Quite possibly - but I've seen memory sticks rendered useless and needing reformatting after swapping from one OS to another e.g. between OSX, Linux and Window$.

Beans

I haven't gotten customers with memory boards totaled because of Vista ( I work a callcenter too, so I have at this point something like 320 hours taking tech support calls for a computer manufacturer ). What I do know is that our company did changed the BIOS for Vista because of new "features". Basically customers were never directed to upgrade the bios themselves and the "ready for vista" notebooks and the notebooks with vista preinstalled already had the new "for vista" BIOS installed.

Now bear in mind that, computer manufacturers almost never follow Microsoft installing procedure and use proprietary third party programs to create an OS image and deploy it to the HDD. This means that some computer manufacturers could be also trying to deploy a bios update for the new vista "features" ( I keep quoting because I really haven't been able to find out exactly what the changes to the bios are ).

Under those circumstances, its possible that their versions of vista are trying to update the bios, possibly failing, possibly changing the timings on the memory, possibly not even setting them to something the boards can work on, you get the picture.

In which case a "Vista Upgrade" could possibly end up damaging RAM. So I wouldn't go out and say that it can't happen.

Beans

I have a lot of breakage when upgrading from one release to another.

This is not only caused by using 3rd party repos, it is also caused by the lack of quality in Ubuntu. I came to this conclusion because I get breakage even from clean installs.

Now, Debian has some of the same issues as well. Woody couldn't be easily upgraded to Sarge etc. The issues are however not as big as they are in Ubuntu. That's my experience.

I think the whole problem lies in that the OS is not separated from the applications. I long for an OS that you can install, keep for about 3 years and still get new programs for. This is possible with Windows, not MacOSX and not Linux.

Maybe klik2 will be able to provide this functionality, since a program is distributed as one file and doesn't mess up the package system.

Beans

[QUOTE=salsafyren;3588697

I think the whole problem lies in that the OS is not separated from the applications. I long for an OS that you can install, keep for about 3 years and still get new programs for. This is possible with Windows, not MacOSX and not Linux.

Maybe klik2 will be able to provide this functionality, since a program is distributed as one file and doesn't mess up the package system.[/QUOTE]

there's only 1 OS that can do just that, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by salsafyren View Post
    I have a lot of breakage when upgrading from one release to another.

This is not only caused by using 3rd party repos, it is also caused by the lack of quality in Ubuntu. I came to this conclusion because I get breakage even from clean installs.

Now, Debian has some of the same issues as well. Woody couldn't be easily upgraded to Sarge etc. The issues are however not as big as they are in Ubuntu. That's my experience.

Maybe klik2 will be able to provide this functionality, since a program is distributed as one file and doesn't mess up the package system.
    I can't even remember the number of times I have been frustrated by the same things you mentioned. Really, after reading your post I immediately checked out your nickname, just to make sure it wasn't me who posted while asleep.

There has been a lot of debate about your issue and the only conclusion is that nothing will change in the "Ubuntu way" for at least the foreseeable future.

FreeBSD, Windows, OS X and maybe PC-BSD are the only stable alternatives we have right now. And I really tried to like Ubuntu.
    When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand. - Raymond Chandler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My own 7.10 upgrade experience is that my Desktop PC upgraded itsself using Update Manager without hitch.
    It has Automatix and other "non-Ubuntu" stuff on it.

My laptop however turned into a slow running useless slug with 7.10, so bad that I had to wipe it and re-install 7.04.
    It is "Ubuntu only" with no Automatix etc.

So was the upgrade to 7.10 a success?

Yes and no.
    Last edited by gn2; October 21st, 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: more info added

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

At this time I'm thinking about going back to feisty until the bugs are worked out of gutsy. Right now synaptic isn't working correctly, as I can't change any settings or repositories without the program freezing. Also the nvidia settings change to 800 x 600 from 1024 x 768 when I reboot. Yes, small problems, but not ones I like. I agree, success upgrading to gutsy? yes and no.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast