Thread: Creating Web Pages

Beans

Creating Web Pages

Hi all,

I am wanting to create a web page but am not good enough to use strictly html. Is there a program out there like Dreamweaver but for ubuntu. I need something that I can create a web page buy doing it visually instead of by html code. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Creating Web Pages

The best option that I know of is NVU. Give it a try, let me know what you think of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Komposer is what came out of Nvu.
    With the SeaMonkey suite, you should get a HTML editor, which is sort of like Netscape Composer, if you were around during those days.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Put in the time and learn HTML.
    I am not trying to be elitist but once you get HTML/CSS you feel so much better knowing what went into your site, and you have sooo much more control.

Programs that do stuff automatically make code look like puke.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Naralas View Post
    Programs that do stuff automatically make code look like puke.
    Not necessarily, they might not be super-optimised, but they'll certainly validate. Unless you're talking about Frontpage, which is indeed horrific.

Besides, WYSIWYG code editors can be a good way for newbies to learn html/css. If you use one where you can work in a split view you get to see what code it generates to achieve a desired result, which is very instructional.

Personally, i'd say Dreamweaver is still the daddy, but it's a pain to get working in Wine. Komposer looks quite promising though.

My contribution on this kind of thread will always be Bluefish. I love that program but the poster will need to learn HTML/CSS to use it effectively.
    Noli illegitimi carborundum

Beans

Arrow Try Quanta for DreamWeaver alternate

Quote Originally Posted by victory2007 View Post
    Hi all,

I am wanting to create a web page but am not good enough to use strictly html. Is there a program out there like Dreamweaver but for ubuntu. I need something that I can create a web page buy doing it visually instead of by html code. Thanks
    Hi, all.

I use Quanta for creating web pages, my blogs and other sites I maintained. Its opensource, amazing and cool website designer tools.

Visit here for info and download link.

Enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I second quanta. It is simple to use and shows the code as well as giving you a wysiwyg option.