View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 45 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I did a fresh install of Gutsy after using Fiesty for 2 weeks. I was really suprised how much i learned in just two weeks, because what took me 2 weeks to set up in Fiesty took me 2 hours to do with my fresh installation.

All in all the new Gutsy has been great, but i have had a problem with just one thing.

VirtualBox no longer works the way it should. Besides it looking pretty badly (fonts are wrong, radio buttons and boxes look terrible), it also no longer allows me to install Adobe CS3 (from a legitamate cd). It gives me the same error it would if i tried to install it without having Service Pack 2 installed on windows XP.

Does anyone have a solution to getting VirtualBox running the way it should?

Beans

Attempted upgrade from 7.04, Completely trashed my system! At least I can still mount its filesystem from an installation on another disc!

Looks like a fresh install.

Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

holy ****, developers at ubuntu, i hope you read this, becuase you guys did the most awesome ******* job in the world. youre my heroes, all of you.

i did a fresh install, after having been using since edgy, on my hp dv2200 cto notebook, and ive got to hand it to you guys, this is the most user friendly operating system thats ever been on this computer, including vista and xp

in feisty and before, i had to fight with it to get wireless, sound and video drivers to work, and with xp, that doesnt even install the ******* WIRED network adapter without a disk. all i had to do was plug the laptop in to wired, the restricted drivers manager popped up and installed my network card (broadcom 4310) which works perfect, and the video card driver (geforce 6150 go) and that works perfect. one thing i was extremely happy to see was the update of the alsa sound driver, it now make my headphone jack work perfect like its supposed to, but i havent tried any other sound related ports. one thing i would like to see fixed is the gnome network manager, it does a crappy job when switching networks, and i always uninstall it and use the one that you can add to panels.

also i really love not having to **** with the xorg.conf anymore for my touchpad mouse settings (at least tap to click and scrolling)

i like the new background, that old one was boring.

i like the new upgraded apps, and the fact that mozilla will actually install flash plugins by itself now.

i like the new documents, music, and pictures folders, way to go on that one.

this is by far the most pleasurable experience i have ever had installing an operating system. i brag about it to everyone. there is nothing in this version that i have seen yet that needs to be fixed, and my only need to foray into the underworld of xp remains the games (.

i love you guys

keep up the great work, thanks so very much
    -arne
    A: "Make me a sandwich."
    B: "What? Make it yourself."
    A: "Sudo Make me a sandwich."
    B: "Okay." -- XKCD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by radar.duse View Post
    Well folks, from what I gather so far the moral of the upgrade story is:
    If you 've got a nice n' smooth running system in Feisty or Drapper or whatever, and all your needs are catered for, then..... WHAT'S THE BLOODY POINT IN UPGRADING?

If it ain't broke why fix it???

(correct me if I'm wrong...)
    If some are happy with not upgrading and keep running feisty or dapper for ever or until or the support gets dropped or whatever makes for happy campers, then no, that's not a problem whatsoever.

However suggestion not upgrading as a workaround to people that are having trouble with the upgrade or feel they need to do a fresh install to often, because of a new release every 6 moths, is to me just plain silly.

That's the most nifty workaround I remember to have ever seen to a given problem, though I know it's a popular view.
    However if you fail to see the irony in such a “fix” to the problem at hand, then fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgrade worked very well, but I have a suggestion...

I downloaded the install CD ISO image, but then started the automatic upgrade...which took 10 times as long to download (DSL Connection).

Can you make the next upgrade look first for the CD to down load files, then if it doesnt find it look to the internet? I bet that would decrease your traffic for the download quiet a bit!

Got a couple of things to sort out, such as getting my scanner to work (didnt work in Fiesty, either, but I never pursued it)

And someone has already posted the fix for getting VirtualBox to recognize USB devices on the Virtual box forum...

So, how do you find out about and turn on the 3-d effects? Is there a page I have missed which tells you all about the great new stuff, and how to get it to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
    I did a fresh install of Gutsy after using Fiesty for 2 weeks. I was really suprised how much i learned in just two weeks, because what took me 2 weeks to set up in Fiesty took me 2 hours to do with my fresh installation.

All in all the new Gutsy has been great, but i have had a problem with just one thing.

VirtualBox no longer works the way it should. Besides it looking pretty badly (fonts are wrong, radio buttons and boxes look terrible), it also no longer allows me to install Adobe CS3 (from a legitamate cd). It gives me the same error it would if i tried to install it without having Service Pack 2 installed on windows XP.

Does anyone have a solution to getting VirtualBox running the way it should?
    Have you checked teh Virtual Box web site? They had a fix for the fact it would not recognize USB devices after the upgrade...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by geekygreen View Post
    Have you checked teh Virtual Box web site? They had a fix for the fact it would not recognize USB devices after the upgrade...
    Ive been looking through it yes, but all of the fixes are for specifically the USB and for getting the fonts to work, none are for this particular problem. probably because there are many more people trying to get their USB ports to work, and not many trying to install CS3.

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I downloaded the CD last week and didn't try to install until today because I have been out of the office. I did get see some Gibbons on Friday at the Indianapolis Zoo though! I tried to install on a machine that I hope to run mythtv on and the install didn't like my wireless card. It hangs up on not having the bcm43xx firmware installed. So I took out an older 6.10 disk and am working my way up to 7.10 in steps. I did use the bcm43xx-gtk-installer-0.2.2 to get the wireless part out of the way before going on to the first upgrade. I am waiting on it to finish now.

RIck Matlock

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    uninstall nvidia-glx-new and install nvidia-glx instead it might solve your problem, besides with a 7600GS nvidia-glx-new driver is not mandatory. latest nvidia drivers have also bugs so if you don't need latest just use the standard nvidia-glx.
    I tried to do this but all the powers of the restricted driver manager and the appearances preference wizard seem to conspire against doing such a thing. I tried installing the nvidia-glx package but then when I selected the restricted driver to be used in the restricted driver manager it uninstalled nividia-glx and replaced it with nvidia-glx-new. Other than completely configuring X manually I don't see how any configuration type tools are going to help here and totally trashing out xorg.conf is beyond my pay grade. Is there a simple way to force the system to take the older driver?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I tried to do this but all the powers of the restricted driver manager and the appearances preference wizard seem to conspire against doing such a thing. I tried installing the nvidia-glx package but then when I selected the restricted driver to be used in the restricted driver manager it uninstalled nividia-glx and replaced it with nvidia-glx-new. Other than completely configuring X manually I don't see how any configuration type tools are going to help here and totally trashing out xorg.conf is beyond my pay grade. Is there a simple way to force the system to take the older driver?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-glx-new --force-yes && sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx --force-yes

Page 45 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast