View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 51 of 176 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgraded - no problems at all here. 4 month old vanilla Dell desktop, nothing exotic as far as hardware.

Updated Suse 10.2 -> 10.3 in a dual boot partition last night. That was a little more problematic, for some reason the Suse installer has trouble with USB keyboards during initial and final phases of installation.

Oh well, got everything up to date now and with minimal trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i've had a modest time installing 7.10. Having had bad problems installing Windows OS's before, i decided to back up all my files and do a clean install. It went great until the partitioning. it was able to format ext3, but not FAT32 for some reason. I dual boot because my university likes to squeeze every penny out of me by only having support and needed programs or e-books for M$ and Mac's. Im currently looking for good formatting tool as for some reason the live disk cant format FAT32. It could be my CD but that was my last one and i cant redownload and burn a new disk at the moment.

Also I did verify MD5 after i downloaded it and did a the, i believe its called, verification of the CD option when u load the CD. It all checked out. For those that are curious i have a Wester Digital HD.

Beans

After the upgrade I had a few issues:

- Compiz wasn't working as it should. Slow, buggy (window decoration disappearing, etc). After reading tons of forum posts and reinstalling all kinds of drivers for my ATI x300 card I finally got it working.
    - Suspend mode is broken. The screen goes blank and the laptop hangs.

Still, it's a great product and I love to use it. Keep up the good work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In Kubuntu upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy all my accessibility shortcuts (keyboard, mouse, gestures) disappeared.

Screen rotation using the xrandr extension is broken (it worked perfectly in Feisty). I can rotate the screen however the window manager seems to be getting the wrong screen dimensions from xorg. After more than a few attempts kwin crashes irrecoverably.

Everything else on my HP/Compaq TC1100 tablet seems to work as it did before albeit perhaps a little faster to respond.

Beans

Installed, and now HAL failed to initialise and I can't get at my Windows volumes.

AAARGH!

Beans

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Just made the switch over to Linux at the recommendation of some guys from my church. I am LOVING it. I was worried that it would be hard to install, but after backing everything up it took a few minutes and was ready to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    So far I have completed ten complete installs of Ubuntu 7.10 and have done one of the edubuntu 7.10. I also have done 2 upgrades. One to my server and one to my laptop. Nine of the ten complete installs went great, but I am having some issues with the last one I did. It was done on an HP laptop. Here is what happen.
    I booted from the live CD and started the install. Everything went well but it gave me a warning about not able to install security updates. I saw that it was not connecting to my wireless network. After correcting the problem I continued with the install. At that point it continued but did not install the security updates. After rebooting everything seem to work well, but when my friend took his laptop home it would not connect to the Internet.
    After he brought it back to me, I checked it on my wire from my router and found it would not work with DHCP on the wire connection. After taking it back to his house I found the same problem there. I had the ISP check his connection and I am planning to boot with the Live CD again this morning to see if the Live CD will see his Internet. If it does I thought about doing a re-install. If anyone knows of something else I could try please let me know?
    The only advice I would offer to anyone doing a complete new install is to check the Internet connection before starting the install. If I would have done this, I believe things might have gone much smoother on the last install I did. The only difference between the first nine installs was the fact that they were done on desktops and were on the wire not the wireless. After booting from the Live CD they all connected to the Internet before starting the install.

Irv
    In the above post I said I was going to boot with the Live CD again to see if I could get on the Internet. Well I could so I did the Install again and everything works fine. I also setup a new router and hook the laptop up to it and it sees the wire and the wireless connection just fine.
    Irv
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Upgradedd from Feisty to Gutsy:

On My Sister's Computer Worked like a Charm

On May computer (Nvidia Graphics card) NOT! and after looking in the forums, tried everything, but the problem remains.........

I'll try to get help.....

Beans

I tried the upgrade,
    and had a lot of errors.
    first there where quite a few problems with some emacs packages.

And then the entire workstation just chrashed.

I did a reboot, and I seems like I've got a halfupdated ubuntu system, without any opportunity to finish the upgrade.

But thank got it boot's to desktop.

Beans

The upgrade worked seamlessly, the only recognizable problems right now being:

-NetworkManager (or anything else) no longer recognizes my wireless network card
    -My Logitech USB headphones still show up as an alsa audio device, but no longer get any sound.

Everything else seems to be working perfectly: awesome!

Page 51 of 176 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast