View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 105 of 176 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

After several months of reading about linux and various distros, 7.10 "gutsy" was installed Nov. 14 on an Asus Z96J laptop. This has an Intel dual-core 2 GHZ processor, 2 Gigs RAM, ATI Radeon 1600X on motherboard, Intel Ethernet and wireless on Motherboard, sound on motherboard, Sony DVD/CD reader/writer. There is no floppy drive.

The Live CD was used initially to explore the release. Kudos to Ubuntu for explaining the difference between "copying" an ISO file and "burning" one! That is an essential and not-so-obvious distinction for people who have never done it. With the Live CD in hand (in the drawer, actually), "Gutsy" was installed in dual-boot mode with Windows XP Professional.

This took just under two hours, including the time I took to write down exactly what the installer was doing at each point in the process. All in all it went quite smoothly.

During the process I was asked twice (at different points in the process) for a user name and a password. It was not clear why I was asked for two users, but I assumed one might be root and one might be a non-root user. It might be helpful to clarify this.

Pleasant surprises: The migration assistant worked once I realized which of my two users it assumed. The wireless card configured and worked, but I did not immediately realize that it could not find my non-broadcasting network (of course!). Once the SSID was supplied it worked.

The touch pad works as well with Gutsy as it does wth XP. Excellent, because I rely on it exclusively.

After some stumbling about I was able to configure my HP 882C to print wirelessly over the home network, thanks to a post on the forum that alerted me to the "Windows/Samba" choice for printer configuration. Congratulations on a very smooth install routine.

At this point I consider the installation successful and my "linux versus windows" test is underway. I do have some remaining setup issues, however.

Power Management does not work. "Suspend" appeared to work perfectly off the live CD, both by closing the lid and selecting that option on the desktop. Surprisingly neither Suspend nor Hibernation is working properly now. When I suspend the screen goes black, the HD keeps running and the machine will not wake up in response to anything short of a reboot. I have posted an inquiry to see if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to solve it.

The ATI driver has not worked to implement the 3D desktop. I have a suggestion from "Inxsible" on the forum for fixing that. I am learning that ATI drivers are a source of difficulty, apparently.

I have an HP scanner (Scanjet 4070) I have not had time to test. If that works I will be impressed. Scanners are notoriously fussy.

So, I have two "issues," one being power management and the other being the ATI driver situation. The scanner may be an issue, though I am not sure yet.

Having done multiple XP installations and worked with versions of WIndows from 3.11 forward, the Ubuntu 7.10 installation compares quite favorably.

My biggest challenge? There is no C:!!! Hmmmm, where the heck am I?? Much learning to do, obviously, but we are off to a promising start.

My thanks to all the people who make it possible.

Beans

I have a 7600GS AGP and I upgraded from edgy today. I can no longer get the gui output and get the blue screens.
    I had it working previously working well with beryl.

Where is the howto for installing the nvidia drivers for the lastest version?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ArielMT View Post
    Also, the command line application ogg123 (part of vorbis-utils) broke with the error can't create mcop directory. (Launchpad Bug 31699.) The fix was to run the following command:

Code:
    mkdir -p ~/.kde/socket-`hostname`
    For me the ogg123 problem was fixed by replacing default_driver=alsa09 by default_driver=alsa in /etc/libao.conf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My shiny new PC (AMD 64 3800+ dual-core, 2G ram, 250G hd, ATI Radeon x1300Pro) installed Gobuntu Alternate (i386 version) with a tweak to xorg.conf (VESA driver), but I couldnt get the 64 bit Live CD to boot into graphical mode, ie. it hung after 'running scripts (rc.local)'.
    So a mixed experience.......
    I have a thread in 'x86 64-bit Users' : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=614541
    if anyone would like to help ........... please!
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After reading the threads: upgraded HP ze4220 from 7.04 to 7.10. Upgrade failed initially; reinstalled and it worked! However VERY SLOW boot up and after shutting down for the evening woke up to a drained battery! The drained battery condition was also common in 7.04 until it was fixed. Skeptical to upgrade the Toshiba Satellite... Xubuntu 7.10 installed on old Dell CPi and runs! Unsure of functionality until testing is complete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I did a full install it worked great, I did not have to tweak /xorg.conf it was right straight away, I figured it would be an issue but to my surprise it was not. compiz worked np problem, I choose to load ccsm and fusion icon. I loved the fact from my previous install of Feisty I was able to save my my config files, firefox and thunderbird were to big concerns of having to tweak everything again , just to be able to save the config files was big. I started using Ubuntu with Edgy loved it even with all of the tweaking I went through with my Radeon card, I did a upgrade to Feisty, so I figured a full install of Gusty was needed to clean up all the mucking about I had done learning to use Ubuntu(still learning) from Windows. I upgraded my laptop to Xubuntu 7.10, it works again with Windows it was just a brick, the virus scanner bogged it down to were it was useless.

Beans

Was alerted by Adept this morning that I could finally upgrade to Kubuntu 7.10. I set it off and it got stuck part way through the installation. I left it alone for a few hours and it still didn't help - just sat there.

I tried looking for help, but Konqueror, Firefox and Opera were useless and the http protocol appeared to have been removed from existence. So, as looking for help was out of the question, I eventually bit the bullet and switched off my laptop.

So, now I'm using a Gutsy live CD I had lying around to look around for a replacement distro. I've used Kubuntu for a while, but this upgrade failure has made me lose all sense of the reliability argument (one of the main reasons I moved to Linux).

If anyone is interested, the upgrade stopped at 60% - Configuring gnome-icon-theme.

Beans

The installation works, ubuntu works, but I have issues when trying to boot into windows xp. It will either not go past a black screen that keeps my read hdd light on or it will boot into windows. That's really my only gripe with the install because I'm not quite sure of whats happening. Oh, and I think I lost my first post for help somehow.

Beans

I'm running dual evga GeForce 7600gs video cards with an SLI configuration on my system so the first few times I tried to install ubuntu it just seemed to crash half way through. After a while I discovered it wasn't crashing, but rather once the cd installer loaded it switched the video output from my primary video card to the secondary card. I had to manually unplug my display cable from the primary card and connect it to the secondary card. Once that was done I had to reduce the top and bottom panels to complete the install as it wouldn't allow me to adjust the resolution so I couldn't see or reduce the install windows to see the options. Once that was done I was able to limp through the install. I upgraded the video driver to the unsupported nvidia driver and change the resolution. Everything works like a charm now. Hopefully SLI support is on the way as every time I want to run Ubuntu I've got to manually switch my monitor cable from the primary to the secondary video card, but then again I'm a newbie so maybe I'm missing something here? Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Gutsy installed without any problem (when I was prompted through the update system) over Feisty.
    When I restarted, there was something wrong with the desktop, it didn't work properly. But simply one more restart was sufficient to solve that problem. It works flawless ever since.

So I voted for the no-problems option.

Maria
    "Love for all, hatred for none"

Page 105 of 176 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast