View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgrade doesn't work.

Found out there is a bug-post about it:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/147429

Beans

Upgrade worked fine for me. Only very slight issue i had was that eclispe reverted back to the gcj compiler, but given as i told the istallation procedure to replace my java_home, then that was to be expected.

IMO, the process went fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyes View Post
    Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.
    The upgrade I tried yesterday was extremely slow, I'll try later on today or tomorrow when the servers are less loaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The upgrade itself worked - I use Kubuntu so did it the adept way.

However it hosed by wireless settings - of course I backed everything up - but I have not got round to fixing it yet.

Still relatively painless - although next time I'll go back to using the cd I think

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I did a fresh install of one of the Tribes (Tribe2).

There was, along the development cycle, a problem with wireless, that got fixed. Other issues are older bugs not fixed from edgy (palm mount for ex). I used the easy video drivers install process flawlessly (I'm new to using nVidia restricted drivers), all the codecs, and I'll do a fresh install of the final release in the next weeks, to test it out more extensively.

To be noted, I have a very basic desktop use of my computer, and Ubuntu-supported-only repositories.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Decided to go for 64bit gusty on a new partition (kept 32bit feisty just in case). Install went smoothly, but I have no sound, flash player freezes up after about 8-12 secs and dual screen doesn't work properly (desktop is bigger than screen area even though the resolution is lower than max screen size).
    I've found guides on how to fix all three problem which I'll try once I get home.
    Other than that, looking good so far!

Beans

I had Fiesty working on my HP TX1000, but decided to do a clean install rather than an upgrade. Networking doesn't work at all. Neither the wireless (which I expected as it needs to download a driver) nor the wired connection. Hence no networking at all.

On my other machine I have a dwcom d19 monitor and NVIDIA GeForce 8500. It detects the correct settings for the monitor, but it doesn't work at a resolution above 600x400. The last 3 versions all had issues with this monitor and what used to be a GeForce 6200, including just dropping to a black screen. I was able to fix the past systems, but this one...???

EDIT: Fixed, both computers now running Gutsy flawlessly. Pain in the bum-bum to install, but now that it's working it's very very very nice.
    Last edited by necrolin; October 20th, 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just installed feisty for a week ago when i decided to , again, have a go to get linux as my preferred desktop instead of windows xp home which i was running uptil now.

tried suse first but gave so many problems that i decided to look for other distro's
    installed feisty and was directly very happy with it.
    I see the distros have grown to the point that my wish, having linux as my preferred desktop maybe will be forfiled.

Played a lot with the feisty , tried setting it up to my liking with thought in mind to delete all and then fresh start with the gutsy which was coming in 6 days anyway.

when the 7.10 release came i thought a, lets firs try the upgrade.
    That went wonderfully well actually. But since a had upgraded a ,"too much played with install"
    i nevertheless deleted all and started a fresh install.

Had some small issues like the keyboard (norwegian) that after some actions sometimes went back to us english (but didnt write down things and i have a bad memory)

have to find out why hibernation does not work right
    and would really like to have my ATI mobikity 9700 (according to windows) or ATI mobility 9600 (according to ubuntu) working complete as it does in windows which means all the graphics capabilities and speed. I want to use the s-video out i want to use compiz and i would like google earth to work fast and this all seems to come down on the graphics chip which i cannot change since it is in my laptop.....

anyway I now am on 7.10 like it very much and am really gonna try to have this as my preferred os (dual boot with windows xp ofcourse, but later on maybe only via vmware i hope....)

Beans

Upgraded from Feisty.
    Issues:
    2nd processor ignored (WARNING: NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.)
    - Solved: grub puts the i386 kernel on top by default. The generic kernel supports dual core.
    Also, I have sound now and wireless works too.

(No sound (can't find anything related being loaded in dmesg)
    No wireless (listed in Hardware Information but nothing loaded - 4965AGN))

Nvidia driver seems to work just fine, desktop effects working nicely also
    Last edited by envoy; October 19th, 2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: issues solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,
    Well I decided to do a fresh install (finally got rid of windows), and unfortunately I'm one of the few out there suffering from a black screen at boot-up, followed by an approximate 5 minute wait before Gutsy then suddenly bursts into life.
    After that it works fine, but the ambiguity of the black screen however was/is worrying and the boot-time is atrocious. Hopefully, this'll all get fixed very soon!

Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast