View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 38 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Many problems left unsolved here. My fresh install broke suspend/resume because of ati's fglrx "update," my wireless card won't connect to wap hex access points, I have no splash screen and none of my 3d accelerated programs besides glxgears will run at more than 2fps.

It's not all bad, though. Compiz works flawlessly and I LOVE the new deskbar. I like the new multi screen setup menu, too. As soon as I replace my wireless driver with the one I was using before and update to a version of fglrx that doesn't suck, I'm sure it will be all better.

I just wish there was more warning about the fglrx problem. Apparently it is well known that fglrx 8.37.6 does not properly work with kernel 2.6.22... so why didn't they use a newer version?? This one breaks important functionality on all ati machines that have it installed. I know it's ati's fault for releasing a crappy driver but it would be nice if Canonical didn't have a popular package in the repos that will break suspend/resume on 100% of machines that install it.

Now... I just need to find a good guide for updating fglrx.
    Hardy Heron 64-bit on a Dell 1501: AMD 2.0ghz Turion 64x2, ATI x1150, 2gb ram.

Beans

Hi all, my experience went as so:

I buy a new hd for a friends computer which he dontated to me, and started this fresh.

the installation went smoothly. I had trouble getting good sound and playback on all the formats i'm used to.

i'm struggling with the installation of ati drivers to my radeon 9200 se - i'm sure it's possible to run, i just need to figure it out. no rush really.

i basically have everything i need on this machine with the exception of graphics support. i am very imprressed and satisfied with what i have now. thank you!

Beans

Complete ballsup.

I've been using Feisty on my AMD/ATI based system, and when I upgraded, X wouldn't start. I downloaded the live Cd, that won't load X, it just hangs after trying to load GDM, Kubuntu doesn't work.

I expected to be able to run Compiz, and I can't even run Gutsy at all.

Not impressed.

Beans

Unhappy Very dissapointed

-Alt-F2 doesn't work.

-Printscreen doesn't work

-Compiz-Fusion doesn't work

-Even the 2D window themes don't work (I'm lacking ALL buttons on windows, and icon isn't centered). This is with Compiz-Fusion turned off.

-Mouse sensitivity doesn't work. I have to remove the mouse from the mousepad FOUR TIMES to get from one side of the screen to the other, that's how slow it is. The control panel doesn't do jack for saving preferences.

I regret upgrading. Feisty with Beryl worked flawlessly. I should have stayed, and now I'm afraid to uninstall.

Beans

Re: Very dissapointed

Took me two days to upgrade, but other than that, went smooth with no problems. I had to add acpi=off to my menu.lst so sound would work, but I had to do that with Feisty too. So Gutsy works fine for me. Sorry and good luck to all those who can't get it working.
    -Vertimyst

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My upgrades have all been flawless. Edgy to Feisty to Gutsy.

I had the original Nvidia battle with the Edgy install, but after that all is well.

Ubuntu rocks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by greg.hagen View Post
    Many problems left unsolved here. My fresh install broke suspend/resume because of ati's fglrx "update," my wireless card won't connect to wap hex access points, I have no splash screen and none of my 3d accelerated programs besides glxgears will run at more than 2fps.

It's not all bad, though. Compiz works flawlessly and I LOVE the new deskbar. I like the new multi screen setup menu, too. As soon as I replace my wireless driver with the one I was using before and update to a version of fglrx that doesn't suck, I'm sure it will be all better.

I just wish there was more warning about the fglrx problem. Apparently it is well known that fglrx 8.37.6 does not properly work with kernel 2.6.22... so why didn't they use a newer version?? This one breaks important functionality on all ati machines that have it installed. I know it's ati's fault for releasing a crappy driver but it would be nice if Canonical didn't have a popular package in the repos that will break suspend/resume on 100% of machines that install it.

Now... I just need to find a good guide for updating fglrx.
    Update: fglrx 8.40 did not fix the suspend/resume problem. 8.41 made my computer unbootable. Good thing I have my home directory on a separate partition!

On another note, I like how it takes ~30 mins to reload Gutsy and get everything working relatively well. If only suspend/resume and 3D acceleration for programs under xgl would work, this release would be perfect.

Beans

HP DV8000 good to go except for ATI driver for 200m mobile
    I still have issues playing live radio broadcasts..link below..not sure how to fix that.
    I have tried to find out when the ATI Driver will be fixed...I am really shocked this was not released yet anyone know when that is going to take place? Or should I just give up on the cool effects of ubuntu? Either way this system runs just great on this release...except the small issues I have...please reply to the ATI question and the Live radio station issue if you get the chance anyone.

http://www.1460thefan.com/?sec=podcasts
    and I have for ATI Driver

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by greg.hagen View Post
    Update: fglrx 8.40 did not fix the suspend/resume problem. 8.41 made my computer unbootable. Good thing I have my home directory on a separate partition!

On another note, I like how it takes ~30 mins to reload Gutsy and get everything working relatively well. If only suspend/resume and 3D acceleration for programs under xgl would work, this release would be perfect.
    I could be mistaken, but I believe that Xgl and DRI are incompatible. If that's the case, you can't use both Xgl and have 3D acceleration at the same time.

If I'm mistaken, then my girlfriend has spent a lot of time trying to get both of them working in vain. As it is, she runs w/ 3D and no Xgl (and thus no Compiz-Fusion).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I believe that Xgl and DRI are incompatible. If that's the case, you can't use both Xgl and have 3D acceleration at the same time.

If I'm mistaken, then my girlfriend has spent a lot of time trying to get both of them working in vain. As it is, she runs w/ 3D and no Xgl (and thus no Compiz-Fusion).
    It currently works fine for me with SOME programs like glxgears and stellarium (barely, it's using the graphics card all right, but it's only updating the screen twice a second) but not others. It actually worked pretty well in Feisty except for crashing my 3d apps once every 10 mins... but from reading around I see that it was extremely rare to have both working. Oh, how I wish I backed up my xorg.conf, gnome sessions and compiz start script. Meh, I'll just look into setting up a non-xgl session option through gdm.

Page 38 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast