View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 4 of 176 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

New Installation to partitioned Hard Drive.
    Live CD Install failed completely.
    Currently running IBM ThinkPad T60 2GB RAM 60GB HD.

HD Partitioning
    20GB WXP
    10GB Data
    30GB Remaining (not formatted)

Partitioner fails to recognise the freespace, i.e., cannot select guided use available free space. Selected manual option, partition is listed as unknown, Selected partition deleted partition, partition now listed as freespace. Selected and created partition size 2057MB ext3 /. Selected OK. Partition listed as / 2057 with the remaining space as unknown, the only option available is to undo changes to partition or edit. Edit gives me nothing useful. Could progress but there is a warning that no swap is set, Go back try exercise again fails again.
    We then go into an endless loop. This could be my issue, although I have used the Ubuntu installer on previous releases (manual option) with no issue, however the installation was to a completely blank drive.

Not sure where to go from here...I'll try a couple of things and post back, although it may take a little while...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The recommended upgrade method worked as advertised basically. I actually did this with the rc release and kept it up to date so I had my new primate a day before the stampede . Any issues are basically of my own making! If I could just leave things "as is"
    I laughed, I cried, I jumped with joy. I was here before Killroy. 8)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jon_gunnar View Post
    Really should have been a "upgrade failed or didn't even start" choice.
    Have done the upgrade prosess earlier,but this time when I tries the update manager it's just crash.

But I have done an clean install on anoter machine and there the process were painless.
    Just wait, the fact that the ubuntu servers have a bandwidth limit have nothing to do with the success or not of your upgrade on the technical aspect, obviously it makes your update manager to freeze or crash but this is just server load issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, my upgrade worked but there were a few things I had to solve. Some, because I've made some alterations to my system that I didn't really expect the upgrader to be able to do anything about. In some cases it could (i.e. asked if I wanted to keep or replace ssh.conf), in others it couldn't (it certainly didn't like my modified udev-rules...), hotwayd and dovecot needed to be reconfigured.

Some stuff I had to fix myself:

1. Sound. I got no sound whatsoever at first, except in applications using xine for some reason. Things that use ALSA without an intermediary refused to work (i.e. aplay, logon sounds, games) complained about a missing soundcard. Easily fixed by removing .asoundrc*. I don't know if that's the best approach, but at least it worked
    2. Truecrypt and VirtualBox wouldn't run, since there was a mismatch between the kernel and the kernelmodule version. Recompiling truecrypt and reinstalling virtualbox fixed that.
    3. Some of my previously installed programs had to be reinstalled, despite that I had installed them from the official repos before. Quanta Plus was one, but this may be due to the fact that I installed to the RC first and not the final one. Quanta may just not have been packaged properly when I did my upgrade.
    4. OpenOffice menus didn't work in Compiz-ified KDE. For some reason the window was maximized to the extent that the titlebar wouldn't show, and the menus were affected by that too. In the no-compiz Gnome it worked, so I just made the Office-window smaller in Gnome, and then I was able to resize it properly in KDE as well. Come to think of it...would probably have worked by just removing a panel in KDE. Or going back to Kwin momentarily.

And finally...needed to figure out a way to make Konqueror the default instead of Dolphin but that's not because of a problem with the installer. Just that I think Dolphin doesn't cut it as the default filemanager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HELLO,

I updated to Gutsy one week before official release date : it went (quite) well, though the process stopped at about 80% when installing files. Message : SORRY THE PROCESS CANNOT COMPLETE - YOUR INSTALLATION MIGHT BE UNSTABLE. Everything was backed up though, so I didn't worry and rebooted.

One big problem was that my screen resolution and Belgian keyboard were no longer recognised.

I solved the screen resolution by running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh and rebooting.
    To overcome the keyboard problem (which affected my login splash screen even after I changed the keyboard setting in System Preferences) I changed one line in my xorg.config (PC 101 for 105; and "Belgian" for "US").

My major problem however was the Nvidia Driver which I had installed through Envy when I was running Feisty and had forgotten to uninstall. It took me a while to realise what I had done, so I uninstalled the Nvidia driver and then uninstalled Envy. This allowed me to reinstall the Nvidia driver through the new facility included in the Gutsy Compiz Fusion packages.(You have to search for these : right click on the desktop to access!)

Then I checked for upgrades using the Upgrade Manager and it found the missing stuff which had been aborted when I first installed. I was able to Install them this time with no problems and everything has been FINE since (except I am missing some Compiz Fusion functionality, such as Cube Atlantis, which I kind of liked.....)

I love Gutsy. Thanks so much to everyone involved with the development - you're great

NB : 1)
    Before beginning my upgrade I removed the Compiz Fusion I had installed through Kevin van Zonneveld's blog http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techbl...ubuntu_feisty/
    (and now there is a useful link to how to upgrade to Gutsy without breaking your previously installed Compiz Fusion too)
    NB : 2)
    I also uninstalled (almost) everything I had chosen in Automatix2 for Feisty, and then uninstalled Automatix2 itself. Am doing fine without that stuff now (although I miss some of the fonts).
    NB : 3)
    I also uninstalled all other 3rd Party software before beginning and am not missing it!

The whole installation process and tweaking (as described above) took about 5 hours.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND THANKS AGAIN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    ... obviously it makes your update manager to freeze or crash ...
    LOL, a simple message saying server is full would nicer than a non responding app

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It went without any problem, or I'm not aware of it. I had like 100 error messages when the process was in configuring and setting stage, but after reboot there was no errors at all.

One thing though - I'm having IBM ThinkPad X30 with PIII 1.2GHz and 256MB RAM. With the 7.04 version the system was running at the speed of light. This one, 7.10, is somewhat slower and it is obvious with same appearance settings.

Bye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Smittey View Post
    LOL, a simple message saying server is full would nicer than a non responding app
    Yep i'm not an update-manager expert but i guess that it is what create the "freeze" impression despites the update-manager is still trying to establish the connection.
    But sure things can be improved, maybe if you have time drop a suggestion in the hardy heron forum about better update-manager connection timeout handling for the next release.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Compaq NX9010, 604MB RAM, Mobility Radeon 7000. Old, but sorta works.

Upgraded Xubuntu from 7.04 thorugh the update manager. Very fast download, the whole upgrade process didn't take more than two hours. No complaints there.

1024x768 resolution doesn't work right, the screen is offset to the left and, for lack of a better word, "wobbly" - it jitters and flickers constantly. Doesn't happen on lower resolutions, but does happen with the LiveCD.

Wireless connection (Buffalo adaptor with Windows driver) doesn't work. Ndiswrapper says the hardware and driver are present but neither the browser nor ifconfig can get a connection.

1.5GB seems to have vanished from my root partition - maybe the install files weren't deleted? This one's probably just a case of PEBCAK.

Unless I can find a magical fairy wand that can fix these issues, I'd like to reformat and start fresh, but since the graphics problem affects the LiveCD too that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I and two others on our LAN downloaded the Release Candidate last Friday and Saturday. Flawless.

We've installed from ISO on a few other boxes. Problems on one only but then it's always been a bit neurotic.

Page 4 of 176 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast