View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 44 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I'm just back after upgrading from the alternate CD. The whole thing took just over an hour and forty-five minutes, including restart. Initially, just for a few seconds, I though I was going to end up with the default themes and higher-than-normal resolution, but then it immediately went back to my settings from Feisty. I notice that the fonts are slightly bigger. [strike](Not within Firefox, though.)[/strike] Is this something new in Gutsy or am I supposed to change it back to what it was?

I was never asked about the Compiz thingy...I can't even find Desktop Effects!

As such, I haven't noticed any change from my old Feisty. I guess the upgrade was more or less a success.
    Last edited by navneeth; October 22nd, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

Beans

Another unhappy gutsy upgrade here.
    Got black screen after restart and garbled console when using ctrl-alt-f1.
    Googled and found similar bug descriptions calling for dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg or disable of boot splash. Didn't help. Tried reinstalling nvidia driver (new old legacy glx whatever). and nv.
    Currently found that VESA works ok, if 640x480 resolution can be called ok.

Beans

My upgrade did not complete successfully.
    Here are some of the "issues" that came up:
    1. I downloaded and burned the rc cd according to forum instructions (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades). I followed the directions expecting that I would be offered the option to upgrade. That did not happen. The only thing that would work was a complete install from scratch.
    2. I waited to download the upgrade until the release date. The message I received indicated that the upgrade would take about an hour and a half (I have a fast connection). Three and a half hours into the upgrade I got an error message that there was a problem and the upgrade could not complete (sorry at this stage I was too pissed off to write the message down exactly). The kicker was the "oh by the way your system is in an unstable state."
    3. I rebooted hoping that I might still be able to get to some sort of os and found that Grub thinks I upgraded to 7.10. Some things work, some don't.

Before updates and upgrades I had a working system, 3d effects and a useful computer. Now I don't.

I am not upset about having to fix things. I am not upset that there were problems. I am upset that there is lousy information available to users. Don't tell me an update will take a fraction of the real time. Don't tell me an update is ready for prime time when it isn't. Don't spout off about improvements that end up breaking an otherwise functional system. Be honest. Be realistic. Be trustworthy. Let users make informed decisions about whether to change or wait until things are really working!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This is my second attempt at converting to Ubuntu from xp and so far it's working fine. The install (using alternate cd) was just as simple as feisty (the previous attempt) except this time i had no problems at all with my wireless card and after a little tweaking managed to set up my graphics and compiz to run smoothly. Very impressed so far. And the hard drive encryption is incredibly quick, not sure how it works exactly but it doesn't seem to affect performance at all. Still a few things to solve but all in all, very happy.

Beans
    Hidden!

I abandoned the upgrade after about 8 hours, This was probably a bad idea but I needed to get some work done!
    Downloaded the install CD and tried to do a fresh install.
    This worked but my internet connection was wiped out. I found the solution to that here after a couple of hours of trying to figure it out myself.
    Now I can't get any packages to replace those that I nuked in the install process. I still don't know what's wrong.
    Altogether, it hasn't been an easy experience so far.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Frankly, I think upgrading is one of Ubuntu's biggest weaknesses. I've been using this distro since Breezy Badger and upgrading has always caused major problems that have led to a clean install. Wiping the drive and starting from scratch has worked but it shouldn't be this way. I really sucks. Honesty, if I have to do it again this time, I might consider switching to OpenSuse or something else that might not be so buggy when upgrading. Like they say .... I just want it to work. My latest upgrade nightmare::::

I actually got thru to the servers over the weekend and the upgrade appeared to work flawlessly. That is, until I went to open a video file and Kaffeine (my favorite player) froze while trying to open it. Then I tried Totem. Same thing. And with mPlayer and VideoLan. All of my repositories including MediBuntu have been upgraded and I have all of the current codecs that I'd need to play .avi, .mov, .wma, divx, etc. files. All were working before but now NONE do. They ALL freeze!!! It doesn't matter what player I try. It doesn't matter what extention the video file is ... they all will not open and the programs I try to open them with freeze.

What could cause this??? PLease help. The last time I upgraded to Feisty some annoyance occurred and from Dapper to Edgy and Edgy to Feisty ... each time forcing me to wipe the drive and do a clean install just to get everything working again. And it's always some thing different. These upgrades shouldn't be so damned buggy and they seem to be for a lot of people.

Please, if ANYONE can give me a solution that might work to keep me from wiping and starting over again, please let me know. Again, all of my codecs are installed and all of my repositories are upgraded to Gutsy so I do not know what else it could be.

HELP!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well folks, from what I gather so far the moral of the upgrade story is:
    If you 've got a nice n' smooth running system in Feisty or Drapper or whatever, and all your needs are catered for, then..... WHAT'S THE BLOODY POINT IN UPGRADING?

If it ain't broke why fix it???

(correct me if I'm wrong...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I downloaded the Alternate Install CD thursday. so I started my ubuntu and put in the cd. from the install menu, I, of course, selected the Check CD thingy...

I got an error message... I didnt write the directory down that failed.. but I think it had something to do with nvidia...

So I downloaded again... checked the new CD for defects - and got the same problem...

I have spilled another CD to it the next day, when then I thougt "Ah hell, something will just be wrong with the Checking option, so I installed it... install failed, at the same point the CD check gave an error.

so I dusted off my Feisty Fawn Alternate CD, and instaled it fresh.. all programs etcetetera gone for nothing, (not such a big deal - the reinstalling doesnt take much time)

So there must be something wrong with the Alternative CD (don't know if the Live CD has the same problems, my PC can't really handle it)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tried several solutions to boot from the 7.10 cd...Even the alternative version. It just froze dead right after the kernel loading. Nothing, not even the keybord responded. My solution: A fresh install of 7.04, installing all the updates, then upgraded trough the Update Manager. The updated Kernel version 2.6.22-14-generic didn't load so I had to go back to the previos 2.6.20-16... And then everything works fine. All my old software got installed through Synaptic or have been compiled the same day

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I installed Gutsy from fiesty using the upgrade method, twice over the weekend, once on the test client, then on the backup server.

Impressions:
    1.From what I witnessed most of the problems stem from the connection to ubuntu servers mirrors or main. many times when there was a installation hang it corresponded with a timeout from the ubuntu servers.
    I tried getting a snapshot of this from the smoothwall portal, but wasnt fast enough.

2.When the installation would hang(2 hours +), I would simulate power failure, after reboot the resume dialog would pop up, and the install would continue.

3. It pays to enable terminal if its not greyed out during upgrade, as on several occasions during the upgrade, the terminal cursor would blink as if waiting for confirmation of something, after clicking on the terminal window, to give it focus, I would hit enter and the upgrade would continue.

4. The test client and backup server, have been successfully upgraded, all the data that was there before the upgrade is still there, some applications were removed because of incompatibility with 7.10(Gutsy) but in all cases another application was installed(presumably) to take the removed applications place.

5. I chose to accept the defaults or the highlighted choices, when prompted for action by a dialog, when replacing configuration files, like smb.conf, apache2.conf, php.ini, etc. The result is all of them are working as they did before the upgrade, wether that is shear dumb luck or by intuitive programming, I cannot say, but it all works.

Page 44 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast