View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 151 of 176 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Since Gutsy came out, I've reinstalled it entirely at least three times. My latest re-install just today because of boot failure Kernel Panic -- not syncing: No init found Try passing init=option to kernel: ...... What ever that means!

Interesting this occurred just after a Kernel Upgrade which from my days using Fedora, I learned to dread. Kernel Upgrades or changes seemingly always caused something to break.

I still love Ubuntu though but only because the other big OS is such a mess. At least with Ubuntu and Linux, I believe I have a fighting chance to figure out what went wrong and learn something along the way.

LJ

Beans

Wink Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I am not sure if it is a new feature or not but the option under System/Administration/Screens and Graphics was godsend for quickly and effortlessly setting up my dual monitors!

Now I just need to see if I can get beryl/compiz working and damn my system will be all bling bling!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I wouldn't call having your desktop CPU running at half speed an upgrade...
    "It is not enough to succeed, others must fail." - Gore Vidal

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Post belongs in the cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Dual boot (XP & gutsy) install on second hard drive . . .

I'm a newbie to Linux in general. I've been very curious for the last couple of years and I finally made the plunge last summer when my parents gave me their old Dell Dimension desktop. I had tried Knoppix and was occasionally using Puppy Linux on an otherwise defunct laptop. I settled on Debian "etch" and went through great pains to install it and get everything working correctly. I never could get the network card to work correctly and I think it was a hardware issue. But I was proud of myself for giving it the college try.

This week I bought a second hard drive for my current Dell Dimension 4600 desktop (2004 model running XP). For several reasons I'm not yet ready to do away with Windows, so I decided on a dual-boot situation. After days of backing up key files, I decided to go with it and took the plunge. My plan was to install Ubuntu onto the new hard drive and basically leave the original hard drive as is (a preference also described by a user on O'Reilly's web site). I also found another web reference to be very helpful regarding dual booting. After downloading the Gutsy .iso file and burning it to a CD, I said a prayer and chose to install. It worked exactly as I had hoped it would, installing Ubuntu on the second hard drive and leaving the XP drive alone. I'm very pleased with how well this went!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

During the last few weeks I installed and reinstalled Ubuntu Gutsy on my IBM ThinkPad T42 for several times. I tried different graphics drivers for the Radeon 9600 and I have and ended up with the default drivers 7.10 comes with solely because I get continuous LCD brightness flicker problem with any other drivers.

As well, I tried different Fingerprint software and stayed with ThinkFinger that does for me everything except unlocking the Keyring Manager (I wish it could), but that's not ThinkFinger's fault as far as I understood.

I played with my 80GB HDD partitions to choose the best HDD division and I came all the way from two NTFS primary partitions: 40GB Disk C + 40GB Disk D with Vista installed, to ~30GB NTFS Vista, ~6GB ext3 root, ~2GB swap, ~2GB ext3 home, 40GB NTFS using Vista for resizing NTFS and gparted/fdisk/cfdisk for creating and editing ext3/swap partitions. All that without formatting Disk C or reinstalling Vista.

And the last tweaking thing I did is adding Middle Button scroll support IBM ThinkPad users are so used to. I just followed the instructions I found on this forum to add two lines configuring the EmulateWheel and the EmulateWheelButton options in xorg.conf.

At this point there are only two things that bother me (not too much though) - the well known Network Manager/Keyring problem of being forced to type the Keyring password in each time, and the video drivers problem which is not Ubuntu related, but ATi. I have the same brightness flicker in Vista (but not in XP) with any ATi drivers - bundled or downloaded form AMD. Waiting for ATi to hopefully fix this strange bug one day.

Except the minor problems mentioned above Ubuntu worked perfectly out of the box including WiFi/Suspend/Hibernate etc.

And great thanks for that!

Beans

Over the last couple of weeks I have installed on 3 machines (2 laptops, 1 desktop). My ratings are based on 10 being great.

One laptop was extremely difficult, not due to Ubuntu, but the laptop configuration, I had to PXE the install.

One laptop I had to PXE to insall, and while the PXE wasnt overly dificult, the actual packages to run, and where to get them was not as easy to derive.. It would be great if it were a list updated and published on every release (the package I finely pointed to had to update to 7.4, and then 7.10 after install) if this is a method that people will use.
    Install - 6

The second laptop is a brick. I dont think I have had it out for 3 years so it was my initial test machine with Ubuntu. Put the liveCD in, it ran, I waited a bit.... done. Happy (and impressed)
    Install - 9

The desktop is my main machine for doing whatever, server for files, huge display, kickin video card, etc etc I decided to pull out a SCSI controller and hard drive, and slap it into my media center PC. I disconnected my Windows hard drive, tossed in the CD, and away she went. Even the default driver that was installed for my video card seems to be the best one, the cube tricks and things all rock.
    Install - 9

Overall, the installations were good, and I was pleased with how they went, but more impressed with the help I got here when I needed it.

Now for the software. I have to give it an unfortunate 6. While some items like OpenOffice are very very good like free-mail and free-messenger offerings are limited and not what I would term as close to best in class. Also, the controls to the software, and desktop are confusing in how they are packaged or arranged (like display properties, networking items etc) This will limit the desire to adopt the platform as it makes the learning curve unnecessarily high.

Also, I would recommend further subcatagories for the forum, these specifically themed to the supported software available (like a Evolution Mail area, a Firefox are, etc). This would be a great place for people to discuss specific issues with those, and to rate / give feedback on them.

The direction here is amazing, and I will continue to use Ubuntu for my primary laptop as much as I can, because what makes software great is the ability for programmers to write software for it. I would (and have) recommend it to anyone who knows a little about computers, but I would be hesitant to recommend to someone with no computer knowledge.

I wold equate the current environment similar to what was available commercially during windows 98, and considering how long this type of distro has been available, thats amazing!

As someone who helped produce Windows working at the "evil empire", I commend what is going on here, this community makes the experience 10x better. If your reading this, wondering if you should, or shouldn't make the switch, I would say, make sure you have all your important data backed up and isolated... and YES! go for it!
    Last edited by Shrek X; February 11th, 2008 at 03:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

If you are using Wimpdows as an alternate OS on a different HDD/partition, then I (and my Dad) have found that it helps to install Grub on the Wimpdows installation, since it is so territorial. You can download it from here.. I hope that this helps to solve some problems. For all I know, this has been suggested repeatedly, I did not want to read the huge amount of pages on here. Sorry for bothering you if it has been.
    Dell Dimension 3000. 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB (Windows XP, Windows 7 RC), 40GB (unformatted), 30 GB (Ubuntu 9.10) HDD. Blog: http://youthofeternity.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

converted from windows to linux today and after 1 failed download and install attempt wich was a server error followed by me not checking the disk for errors it crashed my computer (which turned out to be a blessing anyway cause it freed me from the shackles of windows completely YAY!!!!!) i downloaded and installed a full and complete O/S without any trouble at all and a much more efficient and user friendly cpmputer was the end result so alll in all 10/10 perfect and happy

Beans

I put in a command in the terminal my keyboard seems to go dead when I type in a password.

Page 151 of 176 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast