View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 35 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

One week ago I upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy with no problem. But when Gutsy final was released, I downloaded the 64-bit version and did a clean install.
    First thing I noticed was that the splash and progress bar were missing. I thought it was a LiveCD issue, so I proceeded with the install. However, I still can`t get it to work. As a workaround, I disabled the usplash and now have a blank screen until the login screen appears.

Another thing: I couldnt get Easyubuntu to work - it wouldnt let me import the medibuntu PGP keys, so I had to use the not recommended way: Automatix, which, btw worked perfectly, so now I have a really nice and fast Gutsy setup (with minor issues, which hopefully will be solved in the near future...).

But I am still wondering, why the developers felt the need to change the way the usplash works, since it used to work so good in Feisty. Why repair something that isn`t broken?

Anyways, nice work - Gutsy is great...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I upgraded my box over the weekend and there are not major problems to speak of. However, I do have a few annoyances. Gutsy feels slower than Feisty, especially Firefox. Then again, I'm also running on older hardware, so that may have something to do with.
    My biggest annoyances is with the display. Whenever I scroll down in a window, be it Nautilus or Firefox, there's a weird effect, almost like a wave, similar to what happens when you tile an oddly-sized wallpaper for your desktop background. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Registered Ubuntu User #6338

What if this weren't a hypothetical question?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have a SATA hard drive and an IDE hard drive with SATA as the boot device. The installation went fine, but GRUB messed up. It treated the SATA as sdb and IDE as sda during the installation but after the installation, SATA became sda and IDE sdb. I have to manually change the GRUB config to make it work.
    Registered Linux User #414888

Skills: Java, Python, LAMP, and eating a hamburger with chopsticks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have to say I was a little scared, seen all the troubles some people encountered, but fortunately I had NO problems AT ALL.
    the community has done a great job, you rock guys!
    The day in which Microsoft will start making something that doesn't suck will be the day they'll start producing vacuum cleaners

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just as points of comparison, you may want to check out these threads:
    Feisty Poll
    Did you have success upgrading to Edgy?
    poll : Did you upgrade to Dapper or reinstall ? Did you encounter problems?

Curent poll for Gutsy:
    Code:
     View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?
    Upgrade - worked flawlessly 		123 	13.59%
    Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve 		221 	24.42%
    Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve 		212 	23.43%
    Install - worked flawlessly 		73 	8.07%
    Install - worked but had few things to solve 		130 	14.36%
    Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve 		146 	16.13%
    Feisty:
    Code:
    I upgraded to Feisty and everything is fine.   	   	309  	22.33%
    I upgraded. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed. 		168 	12.14%
    I upgraded. Had/Still having a lot of problems 		203 	14.67%
    I did a clean install and everything is fine. 		334 	24.13%
    Did clean install. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed. 		152 	10.98%
    Did clean install. Had/Still having a lot of problems. 		218 	15.75%
    Edgy:
    Code:
    The upgrade went perfectly!   	   	303  	24.84%
    I had a few problems. 		392 	32.13%
    I encountered serious problems. (for example, can't connect to Internet) 		246 	20.16%
    Things went really badly and I can't [ log in, boot, etc ]! 		279 	22.87%
    Dapper:
    Code:
     I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered big problems.  	   	35  	6.22%
    I installed Dapper from cd and I have encountered some small problems. 		77 	13.68%
    I installed Dapper from cd and I haven't encountered any problems at all. 		112 	19.89%
    I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered big problems. 		75 	13.32%
    I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper using a graphical tool and I have encountered some small problems. 		68 	12.08%
    I dist-upgraded using a graphical tool and I haven't encountered any problems at all. 		32 	5.68%
    I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered big problems. 		38 	6.75%
    I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I have encountered some small problems. 		70 	12.43%
    I dist-upgraded Breezy to Dapper from the terminal and I haven't encountered any problems at all. 		36 	6.39%
    Other. Please explain. 		20 	3.55%
    Percentages with flawlesss upgrades (number of respondents with flawless upgrades out of the total number of respondents who upgraded (as opposed to doing a clean reinstall):
    Gutsy: 22.12%
    Feisty: 45.44%
    Edgy: 24.84%
    Dapper: 21.32%

So it looks as if the success rate is much higher for Feisty, but the one people thought of as the "stablest" (merely because it's LTS, which just means it's supported for a longer period of time) actually had the lowest success rate. The moral of the story is not to upgrade right when a release comes out.
    Last edited by aysiu; October 21st, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I did a fresh install of the release candidate which worked flawlessly. Today I've just set up the repositories for Hardy Heron on it. There were 25 changes made & everything still works perfectly. I didn't vote because I guess it counts as "other".

Beans

I've just upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy and I have a problem with the shutdown. The lid just goes black but nothing else happens. I have to shut it pressing the power button (a little unorthodox).

Beans

My first post to this forum

Help! I'm stuck in a broken bash shell and I can't get up (sorry I'm a bit newbish).

Been using Fiesty for a few months. Loving it, had compiz to wow the friends still on Windows. Got ImageMagic and Fox Toolkit (FXRuby) in and working, both a bit tricky.

All on a Dell Latitude 600 (laptop) standard configuration (http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/pro.../d600_spec.pdf, wonky PCMCIA that freezes the system from time to time. Been meaning to find out how to disable it.) Anyway. I took the plunge with reckless abandon yesterday. I'm regretting it. I was playing a throwaway round of nethack when I checked to find a new Shutdown Icon and an install that was apparantly finished. I rebooted.

Grub is fine, Ubuntu status bar goes 50% then Whoops,

to paraphrase:

command-not-found has crashed! Please file a bug report at...
    Most recent call last:
    File "/usr/lib/command-not-found" line 10 in <module>
    from CommandNotFound import CommandNotFound
    ImportError: No module named CommandNotFound
    Python version 2.5.1 Final 0

KABOOOM!!!

I get a minimally functioning bash shell. I don't have much confidence figuring it out. Help would be welcome.

If this is the wrong place for this post would you direct me to the right one?

I'm D/Ling the live CD. Hope to keep my data and config. ~20Gig. Should be able to dump it to a USB external HD. If I can get it mounted. Any help would be good?

Daniel
    Last edited by zebrabuntu; October 21st, 2007 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This time I did a clean install, and it worked flawlessly. So it's a shame the poll won't let me vote this time.

Previous time, on the day of the release, I tried to do a network upgrade. The process took over 15 hours (overnight) and was obviously somehow faulty. Desktop manager was very messed up, wireless wouldn't work, but settings were transferred, and OO & FF worked fine.

Then I tried to expand disk size using GPartEd, did some creative stuff, and *really* tubed the install. So I did a clean install, from the downloaded CD, and everything seems to be working beautifully. The 3D effects on this old Dell Inspiron 5150 are cool. Wireless is working on the first attempt, Broadcom 4309 and all. Am now trying to figure out how to deal with Bluetooth. It's my first time doing anything at all with bluetooth. Wish me luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just want to say HELLO Ubuntu Community. I'm very new to Ubuntu and Linux in general.
    I started with Feisty about 2 months ago to see how far you could go with a Microsoft free system.
    And I must say that you can have your cake and eat it too. I'm completely hooked on Linux.
    Anyway; I decided to do a clean install of Gutsy on a different hard drive (so I could easily go back to Feisty), and do a dual boot with Grub since I still game with Windows. (except UT2K4).

Everything went flawlessly!!!!!!!

(Although I haven't installed UT2K4 on Gutsy yet)

The only thing that bothers me is that the hard drive I installed it on is an older 30g drive i had laying around and is very noisy, and it's driving me insane. SO I guess Gusty deserves a fresh new drive to live on.

Thank You Gutsy Development Team, GREAT JOB!!!!

Page 35 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast