View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 98 of 176 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I installed Feisty, and had a battle getting wireless up with ndiswrapper but finally got it going. Had full support for compiz, flashy 3d stuff, yada yada. Upgraded to Gutsy and broke a lot of stuff.
    Hardware: HP dv6000 cto- athlon3500+, Broadcom 4311 wireless, 1280x800 screen, nVidia Go 7400 graphics

Broke:
    Graphics: I have good resolution without nVidia restricted driver but if I try to enable the driver I can get only 800x600. NO ACCELERATION.
    Wireless: Funny story. I let Gutsy upgrade my firmware and now instead of a Broadcom wireless adapter I have a Dell adapter. Nothing else- including Feisty- will support it now., so I'm tied to Gutsy.
    Kernel: I cannot boot on default kernel. If I try, I get a black screen- no splash, no messages. I've tried all the boot parameters and gotten nowhere. However, the fall-back kernel 2.6.20-16-generic works fine aside from above issues. Crazy.

Beans

Upgrade went OK but Nvidia driver will not work

I'm having a real problem getting the nvidia driver to work. I had very little problem under 7.04. I wish I had not upgraded. I can't do the work I need to do under 800x600.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Completely new install.
    I used feisty a while ago, but it didn't work.
    I installed ubuntu, relatively happy, my network card was working unlike in OpenSUSE.
    I connected to my wireless network, entered the key and was online.
    I had to install a few packages, such as wine, and java, which had some problems but you guys resolved them for me.
    So thanks a bunch ubuntu community!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The Ubuntu installation was fine, but I have an ATI graphics card and updating its drivers has been unsuccessful. The resolution on my monitor is painful to work with. The forum advice for updating the ati drivers seems to assume that I can intuit what directory I'm supposed to be in. My dr dos days have faded from my memory. Someone needs to fill in the blanks. Tell me at each step which directory I should "cd" to. I would really love to ditch Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Quote Originally Posted by firsttry View Post
    The upgrade from 7.04 didn't finish, it said it was unable to install libxml-libxml-perl, perl-simple and update-manager..
    Had the same unfinished install to an external USB HD hanging at "Scanning mirrors..."
    Managed to reboot using the .bak initrd that was there and guessing the grub menu.lst using the blkid command.

Gutsy booted on the .bak initrd.img . But I had to set the synaptic sources list which were all unchecked. Now everything is set with all updates. One thing though - upon every boot I had the console error: "usb-1-1 unable to accept device address 2 error -71" and also "ITCO_wdt timer init: failed to reset NO_REBOOT flag, reboot disabled by hardware...no card detected" It then went on to boot ok - go figure.

EDIT: (Nov26) OK the usb-1-1 device address warning is due to my booting from a grub floppy. It went away when booting from grub installed in the partition. The case of the no reboot flag seems to be a well-known ubuntu bug - (since Fiesty!) see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/102982
    " iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.01 (21-Jan-2007)
    [ 46.232013] iTCO_wdt: failed to reset NO_REBOOT flag, reboot disabled by hardware
    [ 46.232026] iTCO_wdt: No card detected"
    Also the missing initrd.img file can be installed using the root command: initramfs -c -k <kernel> or sudo update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`
    Last edited by bluknight; December 6th, 2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: more info on solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Five machines in the house upgraded, the HP 6120 Notebook, and Gigabyte based Athlon 32bit 2500, Two mythtv machines and the HP 6125 Turion 64. While I needed to free a bit of space on the Athlon, and ended up doing an install instead of upgrade - No high performanc e graphics from its ATI Radeon 9550. The 6120 Notebook was flawless, intel 810 chipset and full Compiz graphics tricks. Even able to xinerama two screens now. The Mythboxen upgraded pretty easily also, though not sure if LIRC is starting automatically yet. The Turion 64 was probaly the first, it has the ATI graphics and compiz doesn't work to it maximum there. Five down and two to go, the big Server/Workstation and my sons Athlon 2200.
    Last edited by bctechnzl; November 10th, 2007 at 02:00 AM. Reason: details
    Ubuntu LTS - Desktop - Server - Mythbuntu

Beans

I have installed Gutsy on my Packard Bell E5138 laptop (dual boot with XP). It works without any tweaking. My CD/DVD player cannot be used to install operating system (my laptop is old enough huh!), so I installed using manual netboot approach as explained here (tried unetbootin and CD image approach without success).

Screen resolution is displayed correctly.
    Sound is Ok but sound from microphone is a bit weak. Some sound and video files with restricted drivers can be played well.
    I can watch hundreds of TV channels listed in wwitv.com (yes I spell it correctly wwitv.com) after installing a codecs (totem-plugin-viewer 2.20.0 which was detected automatically - hence easy install).

Hardware in the laptop:
    CPU: Intel Pentium Mobile 1.3 GHz
    Sound: Realtek ALC202 Audio System
    Screen: LCD 15.1" TFT XGA 1024x768
    Video controller: Intel Extreme Graphics 2
    Modem: V92 MDC interface modem (Smartlink chipset ref. HAMR5600-INT) - untested
    Card reader: CB710 4-in-1 card reader - not working (hardly use this so I dont mind)
    DVD and CD read is OK but have not tested write function.
    Last edited by hums07; November 10th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
    - [HTML=www.ubuntu.com]Ubuntu[/HTML] - [HTML=http://mugos.ums.ac.id]Solo mirror[/HTML]

Beans

Upgrade worked flawlessly.

I have a Laptop
    Intel Centrino 2.0 GHz
    768 MB of RAM
    ATI Radeon Turbo 128 MB.
    HD Hitachi 80 GB / 5 Partitions (XP, Vista, Ubuntu, Swap and System recovery partition).
    Dunno what else to add here.

Somehow, I cannot boot it up if I don't leave enabled the automated login. If it is disabled, I just get a black screen. Also, my laptop cannot stand by when I have enabled the restricted ATI driver. And the last problem is that I cannot use other resolution except 1024x768

Beryl disappeared as well. Probably last week that I checked, there wasn't any version for Gutsy.
    Last edited by nikiu; November 10th, 2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: I added more info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The upgrade process off of the Ubuntu Studio Alternate DVD would not work at all. (Yes, the checksums matched.)

I eventually did a CD upgrade of plain Ubuntu 7.10, then an on- line upgrade of Ubuntu Studio. That was still about 400MB over a dial up. Do you have any concept of how long that takes?

I still have one major problem which has not been solved yet: Firefox crashes the first time I type a space or paste text into a message box, including this one (I growled and snarled and booted up Windows 98 to post this.) Firefox is version 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu Studio 7.10.

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) when it was launched, and for my surprise, I had many problems to install it.
    First, on my wife's computer it didn't boot with the live CD (well, in fact it did by choosing the “Install with driver update CD” option and using the live 7.10 CD).
    To install Gutsy on my computer, for safety, the first thing I did was to unplug the flat cable from IDE 1 master (Windows OS). As the HD in IDE 1 slave is configured as “cable select”, BIOS recognized as no HD IDE 1 master and one HD on IDE 1 slave.
    To install Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) I booted with the live CD and made the default install (IDE 1 slave (hdb) - partition 1 of IDE 1 slave as Ext3 and partition 5 of IDE 1 slave as Swap).
    After installing, Gutsy didn't boot.
    For some reason, the HD wasn't even recognized by BIOS. I used a Western Digital Utility's disk to low level partition and format the HD (fat32).
    Once again I installed Gutsy with the live CD but I changed the boot loader (advanced tab) to hd1 and once again after installing, Gutsy didn't boot. Once more I had to use Western Digital Utility's disk to low level partition and format the HD (fat32).
    My third attempt on installing Gutsy was to install Feisty (same procedure: no HD on IDE 1 master and a HD on IDE 1 slave) and then make an upgrade to Gutsy.
    After some crashes booting after Feisty installation, I've updated the system and after a reboot, Feisty was running fine. It was ready to upgrade to Gutsy.
    After 5 hours downloading, update crashed during installation. At that moment it was almost 2 o'clock in the morning and after 14 hours I couldn't have a simple task of installing a OS done.
    Next morning I've decided to change the way to install Gutsy. As the problem seemed to be that I was trying to install Gutsy on IDE 1 slave HD without IDE 1 master HD, I plugged in an old damaged HD as IDE 1 master.
    I booted with the live CD and choose to install on IDE 1 slave (hdb) - partition 1 of IDE 1 slave as Ext3 and partition 5 of IDE 1 slave as Swap and I changed the boot loader (advanced tab) to hd1.
    At this time time it began a boot (yeeeeesss), but I was presented with Error 15: File not found. Hitting Esc on boot brings Grub options, and witch ever I choose the answer was Error 15: File not found.
    I booted with the live CD and everything was where it should. So, witch file was missing?
    After some research on internet I found some documentation on Grub (boot loader) that was very helpful.
    - First was to find how Gutsy was looking my Hd's.
    Using terminal:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x057b3228

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hda1 * 1 9729 78148161 b W95 FAT32
    *(hda1 means HD master, partition 1)

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00075cf8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hdb1 * 1 4678 37576003+ 83 Linux
    *(hdb1 means HD slave, partition 1)
    /dev/hdb2 4679 4865 1502077+ 5 Extended

/dev/hdb5 4679 4865 1502046 82 Linux swap / Solaris

- Second was to find where Grub was installed
    sudo grub (to enter the grub program)
    To find where Grub was installed
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

(hd1,0)
    * (hd1,0 is = hdb1 and means HD slave, partition 1)
    grub>quit (to quit he grub program)

- Third was to find how was grub instructing to boot (file grub menu file /boot/grub/menu.lst
    )
    Using terminal:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    ( opens the file /boot/grub/menu.lst
    in gedit)
    * at the very end you find the grub boot menu

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

root (hd1,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=9593f956-5cd8-4c9c-bb6d-6b049ae6ab98 ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)

root (hd1,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=9593f956-5cd8-4c9c-bb6d-6b049ae6ab98 ro single

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+

root (hd1,0)

kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

quiet

Resuming:
    - Linux is installed on /dev/hdb1 (HD slave, partition 1)
    - /boot/grub/stage1 is on (hd1,0) (hd1,0 is = hdb1 and means HD slave, partition 1)
    - Grub menu point's to root on (hd1,0) (hd1,0 is = hdb1 and means HD slave, partition 1)

At this point you have the classic “Everything is all right but nothing works”

At this point I was almost giving up when I remembered that all menu options gave the same Error 15: File not found and /boot/grub/menu.lst has in common on the three options (hd1,0)
    So I tried to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and replace (hd1,0) by (hd0,0) and for my surprise, it worked. Remember that (hd0,0) is my Windows HD.
    I would appreciate if someone could explain what is going on.
    Ubuntu is a great Linux OS, but to be used by ordinary users, for those who never typed a command line, it will take a long, long way.
    Hope my experience can help someone.

Page 98 of 176 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast