View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 89 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

This might sound strange, but I have been trying to migrate from Mandriva to Kubuntu for two years now. I like what I have seen of the distro, and I want to make it my main OS. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get past installation bugs ... ever. The last one, 7.04, was stopped by a bug that had something to do with a missing and/or broken job/tty module, if memory serves. Anyway, my latest attempt seems to be following along the same lines. I just got a T61p, and thinking it's one of the best Linux laptops out there I was sure I would be able to finally leave Mandriva. No such luck. The nVidia Quadro 570m seems to be causing various problems with the instal, each of them ending with a black, unresponsive system. To say I am discouraged is an understantement. I have been digging through thinkwiki and the Ubuntu forums for two days now, and although there are a lot of potential solutions, so far none have worked for me. At this point I have decided that i will try installing an old image of Kubuntu 7.04 ... I keep old Linux distro ISO's around for fun ... and attempt an upgrade from there.

Wish me luck. I want to finally start learning how to use the ubuntu family of Os's. The fact I am posting this from within Vista, on my shiny new Thinkpad, is causing me actual physical pain ...

November 4: Tried text only install. This got the HDD formatted ... and apparently the OS was installed ... but still no functioning system. Guides to reconfigure xorg.conf to use either vesa or the newest nVidia drivers all no use. Nano won't come up, etc, etc, etc. Then tried installing an old 7.04 ISO. That stopped midway through with the same dead screen and no system activity. As of today I no longer have a system with a crappy MS OS, I have a $2500 brick. I am desperate at this point as my Linux skills do not go as far as kernel programing ... if anyone knows how to save this system please PM my avitar TihSon. At this point my options are to either re-install some Redmondesque, or try another distro ... like Mandriva 2008 ... groan.

I have to admit, if Mark wants to get business users to switch to his OS, he should make sure the #1 portable PC sold to the western business world works. I am a hardcore linux fan, but my patience with this sort of stuff is getting mighty thin.

November 6: I am posting from a Mandriva 2008 install ... first try from the live CD. Compiz is acting buggy, and although Mandriva has improved this one more than some of their prior efforts, it is not the distro I want to be using. Please guys, I can only hold off so long before I have to migrate the system permanently to this install. Let's get this bug fixed so us Thinkpad users won't feel so left out in the cold.
    Last edited by TihSon; November 6th, 2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Update, and frustration reduction edits.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I still got problems with upgrade. I get following message:
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvioice.nl/apt/dists/feisty/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvioice.nl/apt/dists/f...tion-en_DK.bz2 Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvioice.nl/apt/dists/f...86/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Do I really have to download a new CD at boot from that?

Beans

After the upgrade Grub doesn't even find the /boot partition! I just get the list of grub commands. Gonna have to write a Live CD and try to recover.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!
    Onieric - Leaning towards Xubuntu these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TihSon View Post
    ... I just got a T61p, and thinking it's one of the best Linux laptops out there I was sure I would be able to finally leave Mandriva. No such luck. The nVidia Quadro 570m seems to be causing various problems with the instal, each of them ending with a black, unresponsive system. ...
    I had that problem with Kubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 on my computer with two nVidia 7600GT cards in it. I fixed it by switching to terminal one (well, I hit ctrl-f1 or similar) and installing new nVidia drivers and using their X config tool, then rebooting. Might try that, but I can't remember the commands or what I searched for offhand. Besides, you've probably already tried it.

Beans

First, I tried the official install CD for 7.10 for the AMD-64 arch, which installed, but had many, many sudden unexplainable hangups during normal usage.

So I tried the 7.10 CD for the x86 arch, but that one didn't even want to install unless I ran the installer via the commandline as 'ubiquity --no-migration-assistant' - and again, after installation, many hangups during normal system usage.

By now, my system was pretty screwed up and I experienced problems going back to my former release, which I kept on a seperate partition, so I had to start from scratch. The system didn't recognise my drives anymore, referring to them as UUID=dfd53723b-dbdtw3 and them some :: what happened to plain old simple /dev/hda in /etc/fstab instead of this mysterious UUID for a partition? Guess I miss the old days...

As a last resort, I reinstalled 7.04 from official sources and right after installation did a distribution upgrade. No more lockups and my Gutsy system is now functioning as expected.

So in short: none of the official install CDs for 7.10 worked for me, but upgrading from a fresh Feisty installation did the trick. Pretty damn lame if you ask me, I had a perfect running 7.04 before I tried 7.10 and even installing on a different partition hosed up my original installation.

And all this after waiting for two weeks, expecting the first flaws would have been fixed. No, I'm sorry to say, none of the new versions ever installed without a major hickup for me. I've been using various Linux distro's for about 10 years, but there are always problems when a new Ubuntu version comes out. What a shame... I did send in bugreports when the system crash-handler offered that, but didn't get any feedback on where I can find my reports back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just a quick report on the upgrade to Gutsy.

Three machines involved:

My Laptop (Gutsy)
    My Desktop (Gutsy)
    My Sons Laptop (Gutsy)

also on my home network

Ubuntu Feisty Webserver
    NAS drive
    Sons Vista Desktop (for games)
    XP Laptop (work)
    XP Laptop (wifes work)

Results ......

My Laptop. (Toshiba Satellite)

Installation went fine however some functionality has been lost or not found:

DHCP name resolution does not work - UPDATE 06-11-07 received update this now works
    Cannot print to network printer (due to above?) - UPDATE 06-11-07 received updates this now works
    Will not Hibernate (does sometimes)
    Will not recover from Standby (does sometimes)
    No sound
    Graphical performance is poor (not been investigated yet)

My Desktop

Installation went ok however there are still problems
    Have ATI Radeon x700 graphics card, it took a lot of effort to get that back and running to any degree. Only just got compiz running with it but have no direct rendering.

Some shuffling and re-installation of printer (network share) was required.

Sons Laptop (Acer)
    Installation failed, boot process hung, applied 'no quiet fix', installation hung again and needed another fix (bios) later in sequence.
    Netgear wireless card not recognised (was not in Fiesty) required lots of effort to re-install, it still needs to be enabled on every boot, cannot get it to fix permanently for some reason.

SIS S3 Unichrome graphics card has been a nightmare, 2D has been ok, but 3D started by locking machine. Now fixed to the point where it runs ok, but no Compiz.

Three complete installs required so far to overcome 'fixes' that screwed us up enough to require it.

I like Ubuntu, once it is running it is really solid, however I am loathed to propose Ubuntu to any windows user because of the number of unconnected bugs that are drifting around. Each of which requires a lot of effort and knowledge to fix and many of which are basic problems (Name resolution for one).
    Last edited by Peter09; November 6th, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Updated

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Oh yeah and had my wired ethernet router plugged in that didnt have internet (it was merly a local network) and it would always hang at "Configuring APT" so I guess it was trying to use that, so I unplugged it. Next time it tired to configure with DHCP using wireless it didnt work.

Back when I installed 6.10 off the alternate it did that and I said not to configure the network at this time and it worked once I actually booted Ubuntu off my hard drive.
    7.10 didnt work until:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=588045

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Our perspective is that presently the benefits of Gutsy have been outweighed by the many issues and problem that we found. An upgrade would affect negatively the IT-operations of our small business enterprises running Ubuntu. We will revert those three test machines to Feisty and wait for the bugs to get fixed.

The problems that we experienced are a lack of ability to reliably share network printers, continuous Nautilus crashes with annoyingly high cpu usage, even by trackerd. The beloved Compiz and the configuration of multiple screens have not been reliable in our environments and had to be avoided.

We had also problems with a server running software RAID. It died systematically during the boot process and we did not had the time to search for the problem since the business must go on. We reinstalled that server machine with Dapper, knowing that exactly the same hardware configuration and choice of (earlier) packages worked nicely with Dapper and Edgy.

I am sad to tell that Gutsy has been a dead end for us. Right now we don't need the sugar, we only need a high reliability combined with a relatively good user friendliness for the desktop.

But we still love Ubuntu and will wait anxiously for the next release with Long Term Support. Is it 8.04 or shall we expect 8.06?.
    Ciao, Cheers, /Macchi

Beans

Upgrading from 7.10.

Miserable failure. Upgrade procedure locked up in the cleaning phase. Rebooted, finished the upgrade, rebooted again and get this on bootup:

device mapper: table: 254: 3: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed.

This message appears repeatedly. cpu is pegged at 100%

Now what?
    I found the solution on the ubuntu-users mailing list.

aptitude purge evms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I am a new user of Linux/Ubuntu. I started with an ISO CD of 7.04. It installed ok but stuck on low resolution. I have an Intel controller and using the i810 driver. I tried the fixes and it got worse if anything. I did the upgrade and made no difference. I was also having incomplete shutdowns which had to be forced. I finally lost the screen altogether. I decided not to use the 7.04 install CD I made. I went over to my MS PC and downloaded 7.10 and cut a new ISO CD to use. I reinstalled from scratch including formatting the partition. Amazingly everything worked and and no more quirky shutdowns either. I was very discouraged with 7.04. Good thing I got a copy of 7.10. I am now quite happy.

Page 89 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast