View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 83 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I had no problems with the ubuntu 7.10 installation and counting on
    http://ubuntufreak.in || ubuntufreak @ #ubuntu,#ubuntu-in

Beans

I had a terrible time installing Gutsy on my laptop.

It is a Core Duo Gateway MX6951.

The graphical installer would not work, period. I burned 10 different copies various burn speeds from 2x to 12x, all worked on other machines but would give errors on my laptop. The MD5 sums were all identical to the check figures.
    My laptop is a regular test bed for linux distros and has no problems with other cd's and dvds.

I finally downloaded the alternate and it worked, sort of. After several failed attempts because of the need for the installer to search the repositories, and they would not respond. It is likely because the Ubuntu servers were being overloaded during the first couple days of the release.

Anyhow I unplugged my network cable and tried the install again. it worked, finally.

So I got gutsy and its 3d desktop loaded and had fun until I needed Java!! The repositories were still being overworked, so I waited an hour and when finished downloading I continued my journey.

The next problem occurred when trying an external monitor on it when I went to work. The silly thing just wont let me turn off my laptop display and configure the external one. The keys on the laptop sort of work to turn off the laptop screen but when I launch the displays program and try and configure the proper resolution it turns them both back on!

I am unimpressed.... In the back end linux has so many things to offer. But in the front end it is still leagues behind Windows, and a thousand years behind Apple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Installed Ubuntu 7.10 x86_64 on a HP Pavilion dv9514TX Notebook for the first time.

Did it worked flawlessly ? I would give the install a 9/10. It picked up the majority of my devices straight away. Only thing I have not tested is the built in webcam (which i dont use much anyway) and the bluetooth. The wireless worked straight away even off the live CD. Nvidia drivers installed fine and Compiz was running with in minutes.

Did you got problems ? Install detected the Intel HD audio sound card but no sound was present.
    Did you manage to solve them ?
    Yip, compiled latest ALSA drivers, very quick fix.

Very happy with the install. =D>

HP Pavilion dv9514TX Notebook
    -- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7300
    -- 2048 MB DDR2
    -- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    -- Intel PRO/Wireless 802.11a/g/n WLAN
    -- 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
    Last edited by evolutionx; November 1st, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

Beans

Users with Logitech Dinovo Bluetooth keyboard/mouse will not be able to install K/X/Ubuntu due to shoddy bluetooth drivers. You have to install with another set of keyboard/mouse and uninstall everything with 'bluez' in it.
    It's a bitch to troubleshoot, but that' the first problem I had. The others were easier to fix after navigating through a botched Gnome install, enabling the root user & GDM root login, deleting/recreating the default user made during installation, then generally cleaning up. It was my own fault for not wiping the /home dir after using Opensuse, Ubuntu tried to use the Opensuse config files and it was a MESS.
    Now that she's all fixed up... it's sweeeeeet. Finally.
    Oh and the MX1000 logitech laser mouse needs some TLC before the buttons work properly. There's a tutorial somewhere that helped a lot. And futuredesktop.org had a compiz walkthrough that should be mandatory for Ubuntu noobs like me.

Someday I'd like to see a linux distro actually handle extra mouse buttons the right way. I mean, when was the last time anybody used a mouse with only 2 or three buttons??? Just a thought. Otherwise Ubuntu is my fave so far after "enjoying" KDE and sloooooooow Opensuse gnome.

Beans

did a upgrade using update manager -c when gutsy became official

#1 window managers:
    everything in metacity stoped working. I could only move windows by clicking on the title bar... and truth be told, the ONE feature i can't live without is moving windows with keyboard key+click anywhere in window. that alone would win me for linux anytime.

All the options in preferences>windows and preferences>shortcuts went nuts.

it showed all my previous ones but not much worked.

i had a "desktop effects" (even that i use french in my setup) button under preferences. It enabled compiz but nothing worked (could not even move windows. but the zoom feature worked)

I opened aptititude, removed _every_ compiz item today and reinstalled. Now i have a "3D desktop" (this one appears correctly as Bureal 3D) button under preferences. and now when i enable it, i can move windows. it seems to be working now. But i still does not have my window and shortcuts preferences.

...Still dont have a clue what the Clone option is for... besides putting a little screenshot on the mouse cursor...

#IM
    The gaim -> pidgin transition was also lame. It disabled my logging options! I've lost some conversations that i needed to have kept. This was a big no no.

#browser
    Only complain left is that firefox seems to be much slower. I remeber editing my browser.xul files before, and they where plain files. Now, when i went to edit them again (i know that editing them in /usr dir i will have to edit every time I do a install, but...) i seen that they are compacted. maybe firefox received less attention to its performance tweaking this time?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar1211 View Post
    I am unimpressed.... In the back end linux has so many things to offer. But in the front end it is still leagues behind Windows, and a thousand years behind Apple.
    Installing java on windows XP is far more difficult and time consuming then in ubuntu with slow repositories. (using local mirrors?)

and having to use both 3 systems you mentioned, i feel like a caged Neanderthal when using windows. Having to click things. aim on the title bar everytime... all clicks raises the windows... grrrr

But you are right about hardware support. Linux will lack behind since microsoft and apple have exclusive deals with hardware manuftc. So, instead of paying millions on a mac, do some research on what goes good with linux and buy that. then you can complain that the install is less perfect then apple's. try to install OSx on your gateway and see if they are years ahead of linux

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Decided to take the leap and promote Ubuntu from a Virtual Machine to a primary/bootable OS.

Boatload of problems with video, and I don't quite understand why. You'd think that the OS would be thoroughly tested and all the bugs worked out using garden variety nVidia cards, but I digress.

After each "tweak" of the drivers/settings I have a roughly 1 in 3 chance that I'll have to do a hard reset.

Tried Envy, but X didn't even come up after that. Log suggested that the kernel driver version was different that the driver driver version.

Only way I can get X up thus far is to use the nv driver. Tried installing MythTV and yet another hard lock.

Burned out on getting the thing to run. Dunno if I'll try again, try Feisty, or another distro.

Specs:
    AMD 64 X2/4600
    GeForce 7800GT
    DELL 2005FPS LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Pretty good

The install went pretty smoothly. I've been a long time Windows user, as it's more compatible with some of the stuff I do (i'm part professional video editor). Things like Avid Liquid just don't work on linux.

Anyways, i'm new at this, but everything for me went smoothly. Trying put it on my laptop too i'm so happy.

Good job guys

Beans

Tried the Gutsy upgrade on dual-boot WinXP/Feisty 64bit on SAGER NP5760, which pretty much failed on the nvidia nonfree stuff and left me with an unbootable system. Had to do a fresh install -- switched back to 32bit to see if it would solve the usability annoyances with Firefox and playing DVDs.

Install worked almost flawlessly, except that Firefox now generates errors when attempting to open links to PDF docs, can't even save the same link to disk and open it without generating a similar error. If these errors:

Code:
    XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Location: chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
    Line Number 1, Column 7:Target(mimeSource, valueProperty, true);
    ------^
    and

Code:
    XML Parsing Error: syntax error
    Line Number 1, Column 1:for empty MIME type field.
    are due to something that has to be configured, its a new one on me as I have never had to do it in any of the many, many times I've installed Firefox on multiple OSes.

Other than having to resolve these same annoyances -- is Ubuntu now a candidate for annoyances.org? -- related to Firefox plugins and the ability to play movies on my optical drive, I am happy with Ubuntu Gutsy. Oh, and I still haven't tried the VPN/Remote Desktop to my office box yet, so I'm hoping it works now, as I was unable to get it to work under Feisty without spending time researching and fixing. Sometimes, I just want things to work, ya know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10 and after downloading the 1.2GB and half way through the installation process, the system lost power. I am relatively new to Linux and was devastated when I heard the alarm buzzer on the UPS (time to replace the batteries). On reboot, X failed to start and dropped me out to a text login. My system is triple boot so I brought up ******* and searched the forums and was able to find the procedure to restart the installation from a command prompt. Finally I was able to bring the system back on a single monitor with the GUI and after reworking my Xorg.conf file and several run throughs with the adept updater, my dual monitors came back, networking came back up and the system seemed stable.

My biggest problems after the update completed were getting compiz running, my 4 ntfs partitions were all in the wrong place (had to rearrange the fstab file) and both of my Brother network printers had stopped working. All of these problems were corrected by searching online forums and the system is fully functional and stable again.

I don't know if the problems I experienced were a result of the power failure or if they would have occurred anyway but all in all I am very pleased with the end result. I expect to work a little harder to make things work when dealing with Linux but I also expect them to work better than Windows and so far they do. Compiz eye candy blows away Vista without even trying and I can leave my Linux system running for weeks on end without rebooting for some reason. Can't say that for Vista or XP.

I guess my biggest disappointment is the inferior sub-pixel font rendering. I was expecting a major improvement with Gutsy and maybe it's ignorance on my part but I'm not seeing it yet. MS's on screen font quality is still superior to Linux. This may be insignificant to most Linux users and it certainly doesn't dissuade me from using Linux but I think it is important if Linux aspires to usurp Microsoft or at least be considered a laudable desktop operating system among mainstream users.

Page 83 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast