View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 71 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

This was my second ubuntu install. I had been using 7.04 for a couple of weeks trying different software and settings to get a feel of it, and to learn about ubuntu. I'm sure I had messed up some settings with that process, so I did a new install on 7.10.

Everything went well after I found one quirk about my computer. Ubuntu would not install from the live CD in the drive that created it. I had to use the DVD/CD to do the install.

The torrent download took less than 15 minutes over the cable connection.

The only problem with the new install was that the sound card didn't work until unchecking audigy analog/digital output jack with alsamixer. I also just found that if you click on the speaker icon at the top of the screen it shows that switch there.

I really look forward to using this software and want to give my thanks and say "Terrific Job" to all those involved.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I voted installed with a few solvable problems, but I have since discovered it has been an unmitigated disaster.

Initial problems were the usual, no wifi and a bit of trouble selecting the right one of my two internal drives to boot from.

I have now discovered that my Freespire install (on a different drive) has been disabled, my primary dual boot drive (XP and Freespire) is now listed by both partion magic and gparted as unallocated but neither of them will make any changes to it, and GG created a partition for itself using nearly 300gb (all the available free space) on my second drive, which I have managed to shrink using gparted, but which I cannot access at all any more as this is now another unallocated unmodifiable partition.

When I have the time I shall wipe both drives and start all over again, reinstalling Freespire which at least had the decency to (mostly) work and not screw the entire PC up.

It will be a long time before I even think about looking at Ubuntu again.

Worse than useless rubbish. Destructive and parasitic rubbish.

Apparently I am not allowed to put the mad image in my post for some reason, so I'll just write it instead.

I'm bl**dy fuming

Beans

Whenever my computer gets to "setting up xserver-xorg" it hangs, so my upgrade to Gutsy hung with four and a half hours to go, yet GRUB shows that I'm now running Gutsy, but I can't mount anything other than my hard disk partitions.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hp Dv6626us

We made my wife's new laptop useful today by removing Vista and installing Ubuntu 7.10. I am distro agnostic but when it comes to my wife I want things made easier. The install went relatively well. I had to install the unsupported backport modules to make her sound work, but other than that it seems fine.

The only exception is on battery power it is rascally with dimming the LCD seemingly at random. I am not sure this is a bug but it seems buggy.

Other than that things are great. I got the DVD playing working along with everything else including the built in webcam. Her remote control which hides in the PCI express bus slot even works to turn the machine on and off (into and out of sleep mode).

I really couldn't be happier. I appreciate the community support and the incredibly professional responses all seem to give here. The old attitude of community on the net is alive here at Ubuntu and I appreciate it a great deal.

Thanks,
    Carlton

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Basically this thread doesn't seem likely to be very useful to me... Is it supposed to be a summary thread or specific? Assuming the first and on the theory someone might read it:

I've done about 5 upgrades to Gutsy so far. Only improvement I've noticed so far is the dual head support. A number of new minor problems and annoyances have been introduced, the most troublesome old bugs seem uncorrected, and overall I feel like it's another slight step down from my favorite version, which was several updates ago. Perhaps that was the Dapper Drake LTS?

Not sure what to cite as the main annoyance... Probably the three to five complete reinstalls I wound up doing yesterday on my most troubled machine. Two of those were off of the 7.10 installer CD. The CD would boot okay, and the installation seemed to run to completion (both times, with minor changes and) without any error messages, but the machine could not reboot into Ubuntu after that. Black screen, no error messages, no response. Final complete reinstall was from the 7.04 CD (followed by a long update and then the long upgrade to Gutsy).

My main reaction is that they need to induce more people to test these releases before they actually release them. It's supposed to be better-and-better out of the box. Speaking for myself, I am *NOT* looking for the pains of helping to test buggy software. I'd much prefer consistent improvements in quality over the fancy new features.

Minor reaction is that they should use a BitTorrent-style protocol for the default on the file downloads. Much of the reinstallation time was clearly due to slow server response. I think the secondary approach should be CD-based, since I can't use BitTorrent at work, but I could easily burn several CDs (or even a DVD) at home if required. Direct linking to a single server should be the last resort.

Beans

i tried to install the server edition on my workstation and when i was booting it was freezing on etc local scripts, i managed to login as root and then i couldnt configure xorg. after several tries i gave up and i installed the desktop edition which so far it works great!. but i wanted the server edition coz i am running a kind of private server on this computer. any write up how to solve the problem would be appreciated..
    the video card its a NVIDIA GEFORCE ULTRA 5700 AGP 128mb

Adam

Beans

Big problems with the Nvidia drivers for a few weeks now. It's been bad enough that I've re-installed XP while I figure out the problem. Found many write ups on Nvidia problems, but have had no success. Envy didn't help either. It all worked nicely in Feisty, but there's been no happy with Gutsy so far...

--EDIT-- Got some new info might help...
    I'm running this with a 52" HDTV as a monitor, which comes with a special set of challenges. Just found some info online about creating custom modelines for just this situation.
    Dunno why Feisty didn't seem to have a problem with this. It gave me 1280x720@60 with very little fuss. No sweat with XP either. But so it goes...
    So I might be back to Gutsy this week. Here's hoping.
    Last edited by ephonk; October 29th, 2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: updated info

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This upgrade was like the previous one to Feisty in these ways:

• It worked at the end of the day.
    • Adept would not let me actually begin the upgrade - had to use Update Manager.
    • Near the end of the upgrade one of the packages fails to install properly, thus ending the automated process. There was something I had to fix before the upgrade process could resume.
    • Finishing the upgrading process via the command line (sudo dpkg --configure -a) resulted in no messages, so I felt like I was left hanging. A reboot revealed that things were fine for the most part.

This time, however, I had to hold about 20 packages via aptitude just to temporarily remove hplip because it was just plain unconfigurable (according to aptitude and Update Manager), then unhold them to finish things. Not to worry, I will be getting updated versions of hplip from the HP site from now on.

At least this upgrade for me ran faster than the one for Feisty, by at least 45 minutes.

I wish I had taken notes this time so I could share more specifics, but getting my wireless adapter to work was at the front of my mind at the time and I forgot all about it. But there is always next time, six months from now. . .