View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 7 of 176 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I started my upgrade using the development version of Gutsy. I thought I could just go to the update manager and let everything download. It had to d/l somewhere around 125 packages It took a very long time and some packages didn't download, some of the packages that did download didn't install. My Ubuntu is still working but I don't think I have a full production mode version of 7.10 on my machine right now. Can anyone point me to a link that describes the way to upgrade from a development version of Gutsy to the new stable release?

Thanks!

Beans

I downloaded the alternate CD, which downloaded some updated packages. All installed fine but upon reboot after logging in I get a white screen and a cursor. Haven't solved it (ATI Radeon 9200SE) and have rebooted with alternate xorg.conf settings many, many times....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I tried both upgrade and clean install and they worked flawlessly... upgrade took me 9hrs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I installed gutsy, and my first confusion was enabling my ati driver (I could have sworn we were promised to get fglrx 8.42 around this time) and then I realized it didn't get installed... or something. I spent about 2 hours trying to fix that, but eventually was able to fix it with my own knowledge.

My next problem was trying to get compiz fusion to work, which, it still isn't. No offense to our lovely developers, but seriously what the hell did you guys do to it? It's seriously fighting me. I mean, I eventually got it partially working by installing random packages, but now my compiz-manager is giving me all kinds of problems, I imagine that my problems are only worsened by XGL (that is usually the spawn of most problems related to compositing), but it seems I must be missing something, because when my compiz fusion settings isn't working right, The settings don't seem to do anything. Gah, I really hope I can get this working right.

On a positive note, everything else is working no problem. However, it seems to me that a lot of the packages that are usually installed... when you install didn't... install lol. Like I could have sworn I saw somewhere that flash, restricted codecs, and the like were coming preinstalled... they didn't on my machine, even though it seems some of them were on the disk. *sigh* This is going to take awhile.
    OMG!?!? a n00b that uses search!? unheard of!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Used upgrade from feisty through update manager. Looked like it installed everything but when I rebooted it said I did not have a complete install, so it recommended a partial upgrade and everything went fine from there and windows effects still don't work. The most MINOR burp really.

Beans

It took me few hours to download ISO files since there were so many people downloading at the same time. I understand that. But what I don't understand is why there is a problem looking at the mirror sites on the installation process. One point, I began installing Ubuntu before I setup network to access outside world, it was unaccessible to Ubuntu secure site and comment out all synaptic links on the sources.list file. At home, it took over an hour () on them installation and over 10 mins () for each downloading from mirror sites. WOW, I never knew I will be having so much headache to install Ubuntu. It is LOVE or HATE moment.

Austin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know why this happened; it suddenly went away. I've been using Linux for years and I'm at a loss to explain this.

I upgraded to Gutsy using the Update Manager and restarted my computer. After boot, Network Manager wouldn't allow me to connect to my wireless network (or any network). I proceeded to install WICD, which led to the same results. I didn't have a wired connection available, so there wasn't much I could do.

Upon successive rebooting, my keyboard sometimes didn't work at all (I could select my kernel in GRUB, but after that, all keystrokes were futile). The wireless kept failing. When I ran WICD from the command line, it spat out a message about DBUS not responding (or something like that). I tried restarting DBUS and HAL, but nothing worked... until I booted an older kernel in recovery mode, then loaded up DBUS and GDM manually. I tried doing the same steps again, but it didn't work. Different versions of the kernel didn't work.

After about ten reboots, everything went back to normal. I couldn't have installed anything, as I had no internet connection the whole time. My wireless network connection, which had been detecting networks all along but wouldn't retrieve an IP address, started working, and my keyboard behaved as normal.

I've heard that sometimes computers can overheat, but mine has never displayed the symptoms before and I have no reason to believe it was overheating at the time. In between boots, I loaded up Windows and the networking worked fine. That was about halfway through my rebooting spree.

Do you have any idea why this might occur? I can't imagine it having nothing to do with the upgrade, as nothing like this has ever happened before.

On a side note, the cupsys and consolekit configurations both failed with exit status 1... so probably the old ones didn't uninstall properly or some stupid thing. I have CUPS disabled anyways, since I never connect this computer to a printer for anything.

Beans

treid these various ways!!!

1. tried to upgrade from 7.04....which shows the download speed from 13-25kbps and total time required to 13-14hrs...i feel is insane. There should be a better way to upgrade. Later found way of doing so thru the alt cd! i think this should be put up right at the upgrade help page of ubuntu!

2. New istallation stuck at 82% scanning for mirrors...shouldnt there be a time frame to scan for mirrors and just skip the step if internet is not found connected. 7.04 never gave any problems with screen resolution! 7.10 got clean installed...after unplugging the ethernet cable though!! but the screen resolution is different!!! just getting blinking led's on the creen now :'(
    Regards,
    Badguyanil!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I did a fresh install even though I had previously used Edgy and Fiesty. I have some problems still. My headphone jack still doesn't work on my laptop and this bug has been consistant through all three versions. Also I have a weird boot issue. Beyond those issues (and my ati woes, though hopefully the new flrgx driver will fix that with AIGLX support) it's been fine.
    Desktop 9.10: AMD 4400+ X2, EVGA 7600GS, 2GB Corsair XMS
    Laptop 8.10: Toshiba Satellite L35-S2171 ATI 200M
    Server 9.10: Dell 4600C
    Ubuntu user since 6.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyes View Post
    Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.
    What do you expect, with probably 60% of the ubuntu population trying to update all at the same time.

I'm glad to say that the upgrade only took me six or seven hours, but it worked flawlessly. Even kept all of my compiz/emerald themes and settings.

I did have to reinstall emerald, but that was the only problem.

Have not come across any errors at all yet. I'm very happy with the ubuntu devs.
    Ubuntu User Number #18102

Page 7 of 176 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast