View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 61 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Problems are with elderly celeron 633MHz Emachine desktop, not the laptop noted in signature. Worked fine with feisty, but I can't say about gutsy...
    Asus 1005HA CPU:N280 HDD:160G RAM:2G Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Mint 9

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Upgrade to Ubuntu Gutsy. On a 768 kbps dsl line it took eight solid hours--count 'em, 8--including installation of pacakges (but not troubleshooting time afterwards to fix boot). I noticed that rarely was it downloading at full speed--seemed to average more like half that (~350 kbps).

A lot of programs got uninstalled. Other than screwing up Grub quite a few minor irritations. But at least no major problems. Still, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Should have stayed with Feisty. Not worth it.

My general impression is that the Gutsy upgrade is proving to be the most troublesome yet.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=591168

I've heard a lot about Ubuntu, so I decided to try it on my system. However, I've had no success in installing.

Each time I boot off of the installation CD and choose any option (Install or Start Ubuntu, Graphics Safe mode, OEM, CD check, memory test, etc) it displays a progress bar of loading the linux kernel, then goes to a blank screen (sometimes briefly showing a line of text at the top of the screen and a line at the bottom). I've downloaded multiple copies of the .iso's, burned multiple CD's at different speeds, and I even downloaded the FULL dvd and burned that, all with the same results.

I'm trying to install the 7.10 AMD64 version (which I've read should be no problem with an intel Core2Duo).

tl;dr installing Vista was incredibly easier, and more rewarding thus far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

This is what I get when I ctrl/alt/f2 for a terminal:

configuration error - unknown item 'FAIL_DELAY' (notify administrator)

Any Ideas anyone?

Salaam/Shalom/Shanthi/Dorood/Peace
    Namaste -ed
    Asus 1005HA CPU:N280 HDD:160G RAM:2G Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Mint 9

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I initially tried upgrading from Dapper following the whole path through Edgy and Feisty but the upgrade to Edgy was not completed.
    So I did a fresh install of Gutsy and that's why I chose "Install - worked but had few things to solve" - 'cause I didn't really upgrade TO Gutsy, did I? And I did run into some troubles, still running into a few...

Anyways, you can followup on my installation process on this other thread.
    jdackle ~ Linux Counter user # 274021 ~ Ubuntu Counter User # 17154

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

The install went without a flaw. Smoother than any other upgrade I have done in the past 20 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by venik212 View Post
    Here is my experience in upgrading from Kubuntu 7.04 to 7.10:
    I followed the upgrading instructions, which did NOT work. However, I persisted, and after repeating the process a few times, insisting that I want to Fetch Updates, it did, eventually, start upgrading. It worked without a hitch once it started. I did that on two different machines, with the same exact experience.

Things that did not work in 7.04 and still do not work:
    1) Scanner: Canoscan N650U, which works perfectly on the same computer running XP, does not work with any of the programs I tried (Kooka, Xsane).
    2) EasyCam or EasyCam2 start but do nothing at all, and do not proceed to install any drivers.
    3) OpenOffice is still NOT compatible with MS OFFICE-- WORD and POWERPOINT documents cannot be trusted to be converted properly. (I know this is not a Linux issue, but it is a problem for me, forcing me to continue to use MS Windows).

In short, Windows will be here for a long time to come, I am sad to say.
    I attempted an on-line upgrade to a fully up to date kubuntu 7.04 installation. The new packages download took ~ 24 hours and then the upgrade wizard hung up permanently part way through its operation. I then used a series of apt-get console commands to complete the upgrade. After all that I found that the 7.10 version had borked the wireless LAN connection that had previously operated fine under 7.04. On Kubuntu, the official networking tools have never worked for me & I have to use start up scripts to make it all work. Even with these scripts, on my system (Athlon XP 2200) the Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-386 won't run networking at all and I have to use the alternative 2.6.20-16 version. The 2.6.22 kernel also won't run the fuse drivers that give r/w access to my NTFS drives.

Overall, it's a fine learning experience, if you like that sort of thing, but I'm mighty unimpressed with this latest version.

I also have a 610u canon scanner which the previous kubuntu upgrade broke. I posted a fix for that, which works for some people, at

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fixing-a-s...y-upgrade.html

- JohnC

Beans

Spent the week after upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy looking at a blue screen after boot. Traced the problem to 7.10 bluetooth services hanging when a flash memory card reader was attached to a USB port (NB: no real bluetooth devices present). It even prevents the 7.10 live disk from loading when it is plugged in. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=591135 for solution that fixed the upgrade.

Beans

Fresh install on my old test box.

Pentium 4
    1GB RAM
    Nvidia FX5500
    2 IDE HDD's with NTFS
    1 SATA HDD with NTFS / ext3 / swap

WORKED:
    All Harddrive detected perfectly. NTFS readable and mounted off the bat.

Restricted drivers installed flawlessly and automatically.

DIDDNT WORK:
    I was unable to resolve names in any web browsers...
    I was able to update packages fine.
    I was able to resolve names using PING.
    I was able to browse to sites by IPv4 address

HOW I FIXED IT:
    I had to disable native IPv6 support completely
    Disabled IPv6 dns lookups in firefox ( in about:config )

This was very annoying and had me running around on the internet for a fix for at least 3 hours straight.

I am running on a standard ADSL modem/router, which apparently hates IPv6.
    I tried different cabling, statically assigning DNS, and IP address.
    Tried renewing IP via DHCP...

>: (

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 with ATI graphics card.

I was using 7.04 with no problems then did a clean install to 7.10

So far I have:
    1) bug # 121653 listed in the release notes - suspend/resume does not work
    2) bug # 150930 also listed in the release notes - blank boot splash and VERY long boot up time

I was able to work around the second bug by using the work around suggested in the bug description.

The first one I can't work around and the bug fix is only "wish list"!

Both of these are very serious. I am disappointed Ubuntu allowed 7.10 to be released knowing that there were these major regressions. Just when people are looking to get away from Vista, people will try Ubuntu go running back to MS. The 7.10 release should have been kept a beta until these major problems were fixed.

Blaming ATI or Nvida does not help the large percentage of people stuck with these components on their computers.

Page 61 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast