View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 59 of 176 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Overall very smooth upgrade.

BUT

Upgrade broke my sound. Module wasn't being loaded for my onboard sound AD1988b.
    Fixed by running
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-$(uname -r)
    Also had to edit my xorg.conf for the mouse buttons after nvidia-glx-config re-wrote the file when re-configuring the desktop reslution.

Minor things but potential showstoppers for new linux users.

On the plus side the Nvidia-new drivers in the restricted drivers manager finally work for me and compiz fusion is working outta the box. Previously I had to manually install the Nvidia drivers direct from the Nvidia site - and re-install after every kernal update.

Overall Score A- Good job devs keep it up.

Beans

Gateway ML3109 Notebook
    Installed Ubuntu Studio 7.10

Impressed, wlan worked out of the box, ati video-out also worked. Installed proprietary driver but compiz-fusion still doesn't work.

Biggest bummer why I'm still on Windows VISTA, no sound on the ATI SB450 southbridge(.. or SigmaTel HiDef Audio Chip?).

=(

Beans

installation went flawless,
    after the installation it wouldn't take updates or install mp3 support, I had to edit the file source.list

Beans

I've tried go upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 several times using the Update Manager. After it fetches a number of files I get:

"A problem occured during the update. This is usually some sort of network problem, please check your network connection and retry.

Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found

Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/di...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found"

Then Update Manager closes.

I don't think I do have any network problems.

Any ideas?

Jay

Beans

I'm trying to get gusty working again... but grub refuses to recognize files... frustrating. My friend is quite freaked out and I would like to go to bed--but I want to solve this before I do... Wow, gusty really messed things up for me.

Beans

I've had a few different versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mepis and whatever running on an ancient dell I was trying to get a bit more life out of. I just did a fresh install of gutsy Xubuntu, mostly tying to eke out as much performance as possible. Well, it was flawless, automatically configuring previous pain points. I was interested to see the Restricted Driver Manager, which I did try for my old nVidia card. The excellent thing is that the supported driver actually performed much better, configured the full 1600x1200 resolution, and made me happy.

Another pain reliever was installing my Brother MFC Printer/Scanner/Fax. The printer installed from the Add Printer wizard, automatically detecting the ip socket of the printers NIC. The scanner software installed exactly as the instructions on the Brother site described. I was able to get full duplex printing from various applications, and have scanned in some text and images over the network. I think I'm going to leave the new laptop alone and play with my dinosaur.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalker13 View Post
    Any ideas?

Jay
    Browse this thread you will find many post about this, servers bandwidth just have a limit !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Unable to install from Live CD. I get to the 7th step and cd stops spinning at 15% (tried it several times in different ways, with same result), mouse freezes, etc.

I'm downloading the alternate CD, if it doesn't work, I'll just install 7.04 and try a CD upgrade. I really don't give a damn about this, I'm sure it's my lousy computer

Wish me luck w/alternate CD

Regards,
    JM

Beans

Upgrade was fine but my dualscreen setup with Xinerama (radeon 9250) did not work.

Downgraded open source ati driver to feisty and voila!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Unfortunately for me the upgrade process on kubuntu 7.04 totally failed. It started once, gave some error messages after downloading packages and stopped. I managed to start it again on the third try, it gave again some error messages while upgrading and then finished. Reboot and dead. Terminal login prompt

I couldn't be bothered to find out what was going on so I just reinstalled Kubuntu 7.10 over it. Happy since.
    "It is fortunate that what is necessary, is easy to acquire and what
    is difficult to have, is not necessary"
    - Epicurus
    ---
    Personal haven | Breaking the shackles of the mind | The Wesnoth Journals

Page 59 of 176 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast