View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 48 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I had that problem I was reading about where when booting it would say something like...
    init previous processs /etc/sd(whatever)
    no restore image

then just a text login and wouldn't let me boot into kubuntu by typing kdm (or gdm for ubuntu) or anything

Well it turns out... for me anyway... it was the NVIDIA drivers.

My Dell desktop which I dual boot with windows has an onboard intel graphics card so I had to install the distro using that. I booted into kubuntu and it was fine. but months ago I installed an NVIDIA card, so kubuntu said hey wanna install the NVIDIA drivers? and I clicked and did it.

so now I had to blacklist the intel card in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist by adding "blacklist intel_agp" so it wouldn't try to use that on reboot.

then I check /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see if it really did install NVIDIA as the graphic card. it did.

I reboot and I get the black screen telling me resume image not found and asks me to log in in text mode.

I logged in and entered "startx"

it told me screen was looking for my Intel chip.

So I replaced the intel info for screen in xorg.conf then I rebooted and it did the same thing! ugh.

So I entered "startx" again and it told me that the NVIDIA screen was now looking for PCI:1:5:0 and in xorg.conf I remember it said my NVIDIA Card was set at PCI:0:2:0 for some reason so I changed it to PCI:1:5:0 and it worked!

I am writing this from 7.10 right now!

Hope that this might help some people. I've rebooted a couple of times now so I know it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My upgrade went horribly so I ended up doing a clean install from the alternate CD. I had zero problems with the clean installation and I'm so pleased with 7.10 that I feel my frustration was ultimately worth it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I gotta hold of the GG i386 Desktop live CD version via torrent. Didn't have much of a problem when I ran it live on me AMD Athlon 64 Single Processor/512 MB RAM/nVidia 7300 GS PCIE card based desktop. But didn't have the same experience with my older desktop running AMD Athlon 2200 XP CPU/512MB RAM/nForce chipset board/Samtron 55V monitor. After boot up the monitor horsync and vertrefresh failed. Had to go into the xorg.conf file and give the proper values for the above for it to work. The folk at Ubuntu give up on old CRT monitors entirely? the 15" variety?. Out here in my country, India 15" CRT monitors still are sold a plenty.
    Even bigger trouble after the install on a Toshiba Satellite A40 laptop. The install went well but on boot I get a complete bank screen, no boot splash. I know it is booting because after a while I get the login screen. From there on it works. But if I try CTRL+ALT+F1 or any of the others I get a blank screen or extremely low resolution at the terminal. And if I revert back to the GUI (CTRL+ALT+F7) nothing works except the mouse cursor. I have to dead boot it after that.
    Ashraf
    PS
    Tried it again and it works now. Actually typing this on the same laptop. Now the terminal screens have gone blank. How do I change the setting for that? It also says resume image not found at boot up. Got that from the CTRL+ALT+F1 first time around.
    Last edited by kmashraf; October 23rd, 2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Erratic behaviour

Beans

I can't say how disappointed I'm with Gutsy. The RC live DVD looked so promising, but even after a fresh install the core system is so buggy and unstable, I still didn't get it to work properly for me.

Really disappointing for a Ubuntu release.

Beans

pretty smooth with a few bumps

I have to say that my first non-fresh install went pretty much according to plan, apart from taking 3-4hours to complete.

Once it all restarted, everything 'just worked'!

The only thing I have to add, is that I get heaps of freezes and my NEC Versa P7200 is now as slow as a dog. eg: ripping a CD with rythmbox seemed to slow all other programs down to the point of not even bothering. also while downloading a torrent with frostwire (qbittorrent won't start for me since upgrade) again the whole system grinds to a halt.

As for the upgrade process though, again pretty smooth, just took too long.

As a linux NOOB, it has all been pretty painless updating from Feisty to gutsy. But at this stage fiesty was better!

Beans

I installed Gutsy on a Compaq Presario X1000 series (X1010EA) and everything looks good except two things:
    1) Boot Splash screen is blank.
    2) Azureus from repositories doesn't work.

The boot splash screen is a big problem for new users as it looks like the computer crashed. Maybe it's something to do with 4:3 resolutions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Did a clean install on a custom build machine (AMD Athlon X2 4600+, 2GB RAM, Dual Boot w/ XP).

I choose Install - Worked Perfectly or something since all came up and ran as expected.

Really, I did have to mess with a few things but they were more like configuration preferences -- nothing that stopped things from working fine for a new user.

Things I had to configure -
    - Clicked OK to install the NVIDIA Restricted Driver. Easy as that.
    - Installed Compiz Settings Manager to get the settings I wanted
    - Installed Emerald to get the themes I wanted.
    - Installed AWN (Still messing with that config)
    - Installed Conky.
    - Had to manually setup my 320 GB RAID1 Array for my /home

Only complaint I had (and it's really minor) is that the installer can't automatically re-assemble RAID arrays. But then again, not many basic users have them I guess so it's really not a huge deal. All in all, it came up and ran beautifully with no extra config. I just customized it
    Linux User #395848
    Blog: http://digitalnotions.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After four hard days I managed to install Kubuntu Gusty on a Dell Optiplex GX110.
    I used the recommended upgrade method (Adept manager). Version upgrade button appeared, Ok. I clicked it. The process begun, but didn't complete.
    About adepts distribution upgrade tool:
    1. I'm using Hungarian UI, but it was in English (no problem), and partially polish(big problem). I don't speak polish, so it was frustrating.
    2. It took about 10 hours to download all the packages needed. (1 Mbit/s DSL connection)
    3. The installation was very slow, and an error broke the process. I was waiting 3 hours to proceed, but didn't, so I rebooted.

Then after dpkg --configure -a, apt-get install -f, apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade get back to KDE. I started the process again. Of course it didn't download anything, because everything was downloaded previously. The distribution upgrade after so time was frozen again. New reboot, the dpkg and apt-get story again. But KDE didn't tarted anymore. So I tried aptitude. After I installed it's recommendations and some of the needed kernel modules, gusty started up.
    But this is still not the end of the story! After adept updater installed some updates told me: there is a new version of the distro available. I started the process again, but there was an error output in polish I couldn't understand.
    Wasn't I unlucky?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthias_k View Post
    I can't say how disappointed I'm with Gutsy. The RC live DVD looked so promising, but even after a fresh install the core system is so buggy and unstable, I still didn't get it to work properly for me.

Really disappointing for a Ubuntu release.

Want to share any more of the details? What is buggy and what is unstable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I started running 6.10 in March of this year, upgraded to 7.04 when it was released and have very few modifications (I tried using AWN, screenlets and Beryl but never fully removed them).

I was planning to do a fresh install as I wanted to completely overwrite the Beryl and other attempted modifications, and I wanted to start with a nice, fresh install. I have a separate /home partition and dual boot into XP (although I haven't booted XP in months).

Two different Live CDs (correct MD5 sums and successful disc checks) failed to work, only booting as far as 'installing live scripts' or something like that - the system would hang and nothing would happen. Even the safe mode Live CD startup didn't work.

I tried using Update Manager and upon reboot the system hung again on the same message. Trying to start safe mode brought me to the command prompt but the kernel/system didn't find my partitions.

So I have no idea what's going on, and will try the alternate install CD, hoping that will do the trick. If it doesn't I'll have to try reinstalling Fiesty from scratch.

Right now I'm just glad that I have separate partitions and my data isn't under threat.
    daily . 64-bit Feisty sharing with XP on AMD64 FX-55, 2GB RAM
    laptop . Feisty on Compaq P3
    media pc . Feisty/MythTV on AMD 2600+, 640MB RAM, 120GB HD (needs some work)
    NAS . FreeNAS on DeskPro P3, 128MB RAM - Freecycled!

Page 48 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast