View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 46 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I don't have a wired internet connection, so during the install it warned me it couldn't find security updates. That's fine but it also disabled all the software sources, kinda confused me at first. Also my Ml-2510 printer isn't really supported, although I heard you can work around that. Also unrelated to Ubuntu, Pidgin keeps crashing.

Overall it went better then when I installed feisty. I went with Install worked, but had a few things to solve.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I upgraded from 7.04 without any issues. Thank you Devs !

I used the recommended install method:
    Code:
    gksu "update-manager -c"
    I have a Dell XPS M170.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgraded a few days ago and I had some major problems I had was at the end of the upgrade process when the update-manager was processing the new linux-generic package and then the update-manager crashed. I was expecting the worse but my laptop booted up ok and it appears that I have been fully upgraded to 7.10 although I'm seriously considering backing up my data before doing a full installation.

My initial feeling is that 7.10 isn't as stable as 7.04 but I'll give a few more days before deciding if I should revert back to the previous version or perform a clean installation after backing up my data.

Code:
    byronical:[crash] cat linux-generic.0.crash
    ProblemType: Package
    Date: Thu Oct 18 19:07:45 2007
    ErrorMessage:
     ErrorMessage: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Package: linux-generic
    SourcePackage: linux-meta
    byronical:[crash] cat linux-image-generic.0.crash
    Date: Thu Oct 18 19:07:36 2007
    ErrorMessage:
     ErrorMessage: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Package: linux-image-generic
    SourcePackage: linux-meta
    byronical:[crash] cat update-manager.0.crash
    Date: Thu Oct 18 19:08:47 2007
    ErrorMessage:
     ErrorMessage: SystemError in cache.commit(): E:Sub-process /tmp/tmpQ3Vr4f/backports/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Package: update-manager
    SourcePackage: update-manager
    byronical:[crash] sudo cat linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic.0.crash
    Date: Thu Oct 18 19:06:28 2007
    ErrorMessage:
     ErrorMessage: subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)

Package: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
    SourcePackage: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22
    Architecture: i386

Beans

To start, I love Ubuntu, it rocks. But I should have known better than to attempt an upgrade... :S

I'm on an AMD64 machine running Feisty, been working well for me. So I decided to go ahead and give Gutsy a try.

That was my first mistake.

Second mistake, downloading the Desktop CD to upgrade, I have a slow connection so I went to download the Desktop CD from another computer only to find that I needed the Alt CD to do a networkless install... o_O

Now I have my alt CD in, all looks like it's happy but no! It has to download 500+ Megs of software still.. What is this??

fine.

I say what-the-heck, leave it running all night to download the updates.. we're good then. Morning comes and it's just finished downloading.. woohoo for lite-speed... Begin install process, hop off to work.

Back home from work... install halted probably 5 mins after I left, asking to replace a system file.. Ok, go.

A half hour later, my third error message concerning the inability to install the nvidia-glx package comes up... this time it's fatal.

wonderful.

Reboot. I manage to work a way around the fact that my gnome-panel and desktop are now gone. I have nothing but a friendly desktop wallpaper that I made a while back after log in. Good for me that I have wireless, oh wait nevermind, no network-manager app to connect me. What's this? No window manager running either? Alt-F2? In my dreams. I manage to create a folder on my desktop and open it up in Nautilus (no way! it works! :O) browse to /usr/bin/ and open up an xterm. Ingenious. Metacity. Works.. alright. here we go. gnome-panel? No dice..

peachy.

Lets try runnning synaptic. My system is apparently up-to-date. Wanna bet? Ok, nevermind there are a total of nine (count 'em.. 9) updates. Guess what they are for? CUPS. No, I don't want cups now, I want my machine to work. But thanks anyways. Hmm let's try running this brilliant upgrade app on the CD again hmm? Nope, I apparently have one up-to-date system... only one problem, it's not functioning.

splendid.

the moral of the story? screw upgrading. Sorry Ubuntu, like I said love the system, but upgrading is a process that is not likely to work for everyone anytime soon. I would not encourage ANYONE to upgrade if they have at all used their computer since last installing... fresh install, or reap the repercussions! Oh they are varied and twisted they are! The end is near! The end is near!

I'm now off to do a fresh install (yes that means all my codecs have to be re-downloaded, along with all of my extra apps I had installed, etc... and I'll likely lose a bunch of settings in the process.. oh joy!) On a connection that gets max 16 kbs, I'm lucky if I'll be done next week. See you all in approx. 168 hours...

Beans

Trying to set up a machine to archive emails. We had one running flawlessly under 7.04. However, this is a newer faster machine and we installed 7.10. Now none of the email clients can access the email server. We tried both Thunderbird and Evolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've upgraded three computers so far (directly from Feisty, using the recommended method). Only one of them works properly, and it has required some tinkering. Here are the models and their approximate ages, along with the symptoms experienced.

Compaq V5101US laptop (1.5 yrs.): System sometimes boots, sometimes get hung at the "loading drivers" step. Wireless didn't work (NDISwrapper) after upgrade and needed tinkering.

Acer Aspire 5050 laptop (3 mos.): Wireless didn't work (NDISwrapper) after upgrade and needed tinkering. ACPI has never worked and still doesn't. ENE card reader never worked and still doesn't.

Emachines 6421 (3 years): ATI proprietary driver (fglrx) refuses to load, even after enabling in the restricted drivers manager. I tried downloading and installing the driver; that didn't work, either. X always uses the failsafe configuration file; VESA runs poorly on it and the screen resolution maxes out at 800x600. Log files never contain non-failsafe data, so debugging is very difficult.

Gutsy has been a downgrade for me... three times.

Beans

Hi I voted '..upgrade with a few problems' but quite possibly that was a bit harsh, I only had one minor problem:

First time I tried it reported a problem with medibuntu repositories - after some digging on these forums I disabled them and then it ran just fine.

My thought was although there were topics explaining the Official method, i.e. back things up and then use Update Manager, these could have done with a simple check list of things to do before hand, such as disable additional repositories.

But to be honest, its worked just fine. I particularly like how following the update, my computer is essentially set up the same way just with newer versions - compare this with Windows when the upgrades are often not smooth, and then you must spend some time getting all the software and settings back the way you want them.

Beans

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

With feisty everything was fine, (no more weeks of compilating Gentoo, still a good dist though), beryl was cool,,, everything worked more or less fine, few bugs now and then. Now with Gutsy, had to spend hours struguling to configure nvidia and xorg.conf to make compiz-fusion work and to set my screen-resolution fine (remember that I had the same problem at first with feisty). Though I managed ok, and the new compiz-fusion is pretty cool, there is the 3Dwindows missing and the mouse on the corner that shows all windows (I was used to those plugins) too. When I though everything was fine...NOW I CAN'T SEE AVI FILES.. .. come on... I have a dual core dua 2,24 and an nvidia 7600gt XFX with 1 Gb of ram and gutsy was installed from new... every thing should work.

I now that it has only been released last week but, how can I bring more people to use linux (always trying at work) if this things happen. They just give up.

joaopcrodrigues

P.S.: haven't tested vmware workstation yet... hope it still works...
    P.S.2: in every shortcut panel there is this "Super" button.... WITCH ONE IS IT, one year with Ubuntu and havent figure it out yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I was running Feisty when I decided to upgrade. Initially I had a problem getting the upgrade to work. It kept failing, claiming there were two files it couldn't download. Then I discovered two identical software sources in my 3rd Party sources, with the following details:

Typ: Binary
    URI: http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu
    Dis: feisty-commercial
    Com: main

They were causing the upgrade to fail. I removed both and then the upgrade worked fine.

After the upgrade, my VMware Player wouldn't work, as I suspected it wouldn't. In the past I found I had to rerun vmware-config.pl every time there was a kernel upgrade. This time vmware-config.pl failed, so I had to run the "vmware-any-any-update114" patch, followed by vmware-config.pl. That fixed my VMware Player.

My last problem was with Thunderbird. After the upgrade, I fired up Thunderbird, and suddenly all my email accounts, address book, and emails were gone! Then I discovered that the upgrade process changes the Thunderbird installation. After the upgrade it runs from a different folder. Before the upgrade, TB ran from a folder called ".thunderbird". After the upgrade it runs from ".mozilla-thunderbird". To fix it, i copied my email profile (folder that ends with ".default") from the old directory to the new one, and changed the "profiles.ini" file to use the profile that I had just copied over. Voila! My emails and accounts are back!

Other than this, all went fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have upgraded to gutsy, and i have all the universe, multiverse, proposed, and backport's enabled.
    everything, to my knowledge, installed.

however...

i dont have desktop icons visible...
    and the background that i set up, just doesnt show.

im going to try reformatting, and installing from scratch.
    maybe that'll do it right?
    see ubuntu run.
    RUN UBUNTU RUN!

Page 46 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast