View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 40 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Installed the Beta and went with the upgrades - El Perfecto

Got a Wild Hair and randomly reinstalled (for literally no reason) - El Perfecto

I've still no idea why I reinstall every two days, or why I say "El Perfecto"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Decided to do a clean install and it installed much nicer than Feisty. But after a couple of hours firefox crashed and nothing I could do would get it to start for more than a second. I reinstalled and had the same thing happen a couple of hours later. I installed Swiftfox and discovered that I liked it better and have not had any issues with it.

Beans

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705.

the install worked flawlessly (i still have feisty though since i only installed gutsy to see if it worked before upgrading to hardy).

live cds/alt install cds before this did not load the proper display drivers, but gutsy did, though i had to install the fglrx driver regardless. compiz fusion was a breeze to set up, and you no longer need a separate session to load xgl.

the only issue i have (not really an issue, just kind of annoying) is that when i use wifi radar to manage my wireless network, it seems network manager thinks i have no connection. however, the way it auto detects when you plug in a LAN is a really good feature in my book.

also, my wireless card was autodetected (the windows driver for it is bcmwl5.inf) which shows progression in linux/wireless operability. However, ndiswrapper has never failed me, and i have had issues with the out-of-the-box drivers on other computers in the past, so i blacklisted the native driver and used ndiswrapper instead.

Gutsy in my book is a huge step forward in making linux user friendly towards people who wish to migrate from windows. Keep up the good work Ubuntu!
    HOWTO: Set up wireless internet (Desktop or laptop)
    Registered Linux User #454618

Beans

Well......

I had my computer set up pretty well with XP running on one disk and Ubuntu Feisty on another, but when I ran the update manager tool to move to Gutsy it rebooted to a nice long scrolling screen of error messages and finally a blue screen informing me that X server had tanked.

I tried a few things to fix it but with no success. I finally just decided to wipe my Ubuntu drive and run FIXMBR to take Grub off my system and try it from scratch.

I then tried to download the ISO image for Gutsy three times before I could get one where the checksum was OK. Once I finally got a good CD burned I rebooted and let it rip. I got the standard startup screen which went OK but shortly after the screen went black and then came up with blinking vertical green and blue lines. I did get the startup sound eventually but the lines never went away.

Needless to saw my enthusiasm for Linux and Ubuntu are fading fast. I may not be back for a while.

Here are my computer stats in case anyone is curious, if I had to guess my NVIDIA hardware is a big part of the problem here.

Boxxtech Workstation
    Dual AMD Opteron 242 - 64bit
    3 GB RAM
    NVIDIA nForce Chipset
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 540 Video Card
    160GB SATA HDD for Ubuntu

Tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 for AMD 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Clean install overall very good. 2hr download for iso. Half hour install. My /home is on a separate partition, preserved all the way from Dapper.

Previously, I used Automatix to help simplify install. Did not do that this time because of advice from forum. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all that Automatix has done, but it isn't necessary for me any more.

Had to use safe mode graphics for install, probably because of running dual screens.

Absolutely love the new restricted drivers pop-up and install choice.

RME Multiface pro sound system was not functional (as usual). Had to go to ALSA site and pull latest firmware which includes the proprietary driver. Half an hour problem all told.

Printer setup, network setup, gnome environment, it's all improved.

Multimedia is much better. I decided to ditch XMMS and also ditch VLC both of which had been working very well for me. Rhythmbox and Mplayer have solved all the problems that prevented me from using them previously and now they are really good. I was truly impressed when Mplayer actually prompted me to load new codecs and they worked!

Flash install in Firefox worked great.

Wine even works. Just Synaptic the package and my old Windows app for my home lighting system works just like before!!

OpenOffice had/has a problem. It did not recognize the OpenSymbol font that I was using for Gnome so I just switched to Bitstream Vera for Gnome. Also, OO crashed when pulling down a menu and that was worked-around by switching from Pharago theme to Human theme in Gnome.

Compiz looks and acts very snappy and I like the configurability. I don't like that it doesn't seem to work on two screens though.

Good job Ubuntu, Debian, Gnome, Gnu, Mozilla, OO and the countless app developers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi there,

I have upgraded 'by download' to Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 (i.e. a kind of network upgrade). The network upgrade went better than expected. My congratulations for that!

While the release Gutsy Gibbon has magnificent improvements, there are three main problems:

1. I cannot get into my system settings to make letters bigger or the resolution lower.
    2. It does not recognize my external Samsung DVD/CD drive anymore. (link goes to appropriate post)
    3. Wireless internet does not work (link goes to appropriate post).

Beans

Install - worked but had few things to solve

Though i had 7.04 installed and working fine i decided to do a clean install... The partition where i have " / " is on a raid, and the grub autoconfiguration of the install didn't catch that quite well and i had to change the location of the partition for ubuntu to boot. For someone with some linux experience no problem, but for someone not familiar with grub, may be a showstopper.

Compiz fusion seemed unstable at first, but i like that the "fallback to metacity" worked everythime i had trouble.

Besides that, everything worked fine... keep up the good work!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RFScheer View Post
    Compiz looks and acts very snappy and I like the configurability. I don't like that it doesn't seem to work on two screens though.
    Some graphics cards only have ful 3D acceleration on one of the screens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My upgrade Feisty to Gutsy was pretty near faultless. I had to tweak my sources.list first (because of my work firewall, I change http:// to ftp:// in the sources - I needed to change that back). All went smoothly. The only thing I have had to deal with was that Bibus no longer worked, but a straightforward fix was on the Bibus forum.

The Gutsy upgrade now has screen brightness control when on battery power on this Sony laptop, which Feisty didn't manage.

Robert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10, the upgrade went very smooth I basically did it by the book, made sure my 7.04 version was up to date and then ran the upgrade
    A couple of things were not working after I logged into 7.10 the network was working meaning I could access another computer on the network but I couldn't access the internet.
    Anyway I found out how to fix the problem by opening Firefox and typing about:config in the address bar then in the search bar typing IPV and changing network.dns.disableIPv6 to TRUE that worked so now I can access the web through firefox.

But I can't update repositories it just hangs and eventually times out and I also get the same problem when trying to fetch emails it hangs for a while and times out someone said on a post that the repositories are just busy but I don't think that's the problem I feel it's being blocked by something and the two problems are related I haven't worked it out yet but I am searching through the forums for the answer.....

Apart from those problems above every thing else went very well
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    ~ Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Imagination is the key to Success.

Page 40 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast