View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 31 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Went and did the upgrade route with 7.10RC, just a few days ahead of the "official" release. (Yes, I cheated, but what the heck!)

Everything that was to work "Out of the box" did so, and things that did not was things I wanted for DVD playback and mp3 support, so I had to go digging.
    All in all, it was a much better experience this time going from Fiesty to Gutsy than when I went from Edgy to Fiesty. That upgrade ended up borked and I had to do a fresh install.

All in all, regardless of which way I have upgraded in the past since starting with Ubuntu, I am pleased by the work put forth.
    Registered Linux User # 414690
    Registered Ubuntu User # 24355

Beans

Nice of you guys to have a poll there!
    So far upgrade is working for 28% of the people.
    Install is working for 23%

Like if you had only tested it on 4 computers before release you could have found a problem on 3 of them!

For me these were my problems..
    * cupsys, update-manager not installing
    * various errors during upgrade, it didn't finish the upgrade and warned me about having an unusable system.
    * emvs causing udevd to use >90% cpu
    * complains about me having both pc101 and pc104 settings in xorg and gnome when I only have pc104 on both.

I don't recall many problems with previous upgrades.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

-No splash screen. SOLVED
    -No composite for Compiz. SOLVED
    -Still not a nice music player. It would be really good to have XMMS2 with GUI and a nice music library.
    ...and I'm suspecting that XMMS slows my pc down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Upgrade and reboot were OK except for sound. According to other post I am not the only.
    I have no sound.
    I have an ensoniq 1371 and an alc883 (HDA NVidia) both recognised and selected alsadriver on the HDA NVidia. It worked before the upgrade from feisty to gutsy.
    Maybe it is due to the fact that I did not accept the changes in the first couple of config files (do not remember which ones any more) during the upgrade.

This is what I get testing sound capture in the gnome ; system ; preferences sound panel
    gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=chat: Could not open resource for writing.
    Any ideas ? Thank
    The other soundpreferences are set on automatic detection. Test dialog opens without error message but do not give the test sound.
    Last edited by cotcot; October 21st, 2007 at 07:29 AM.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans

flawless upgrade on a Dell D820 - using alternate cd. nvidia restricted driver remained in use. Wireless card using bcm43xx proprietary driver. dualview working with ext lcd at 1440X900, laptop native at 1280x800.
    bluetooth enabled by default.

Beans

Started off using update manager. Due to what I guess is load it was a bit flakey. Never offered the upgrade of the distribution, timed out on various packages, failed to get the signatures etc.

Updated sources.list by hand to point to Gutsy - Note I am using apt-cacher which might also be a culprit. Tried again with update-manager with the same results. It is not particularly good at dealing with issues especially no signatures.

Backstepped to Command line apt-get and this worked much better. First time through was failing to download 25% or so of packages. Second time through it missed the final two. Third time through it happily went on to install from the download step.

Only issue- apart from a wireless issue also with feisty - was the change of name of thunderbird which broke a launcher.

Cheers Paul

Beans

I did a clean install of Fiesty Fawn, then did an update just before the release of Gutsy Gibbon.After i had all available updates, i waited for the release of Gutsy Gibbon and then did an upgrade. Install went flawlessly,found all my hardware..router, printer etc, my only hitch was the driver for my Brother Network printer (DCP540CN),Fortunately i was able to get the correct one from the Brother web site, install it and the printer works as well as it did under windows..
    So far, everything that i have tried works except i cant play DVD`s. This is the only issue i have to work out so far.

Beans

Did a clean install of Gutsy...only problem was with the window title bar of the applications....it took up 50% of the screen also the login screen was a bit weird.. the font size appeared to be enormous behind the login window! I tried different screen resolutions and it seems to have sorted itself out. Also this was my first attempt at dual booting two Linux distros as opposed to Windows\Linux and it went with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Given all the horror stories that I've been sifting through; I really have no complaints. I did a fresh install on my computer (Alternate CD) and everything went perfectly. The only thing I had to do was grab the NVIDIA drivers for my video card, set the repos and boom.

Incidentally, the repos seem to be nice and quick right now for the main (I didn't select the Canadian mirror due to past experience with it being slow), maybe things are settling down or it's just the time that I'm doing this all. lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Intel HDA Alsa drivers

Lots of people who have the Intel HDA sound card are reporting that they don't have sound.

I've written a post on fault finding Intel HDA sound card issues, if you need the help. The post also includes reinstalling the Alsa drivers (if needed).

I would love to here more feedback from users and there system setups.

Page 31 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast