View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 21 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I've just done an install on a set of disks previously NTFS'd for an XP/Vista dual boot.

The vista side when wrong during an upgrade and now the Vista Loader is sat in the MBR of one of my disks causing some issues with XP.

So I put on Gutsy and after swapping the hdd boot priority found GRUB but now grub does what the live disk did the first time - it tries to load gutsy with quiet and splash but still after setting boot commands to noquiet and nosplash i still get my display turning off after the kernel is loaded
    Having to run off the gutsy live CD until i can get a definitive answer.

Beans

I upgraded last week to 7.10 RC1 from 7.04 via update manager and it went without a hitch.

However, I really do like to do a clean install whenever a final version is released which I did yesterday. The install was flawless, I have a fast, stable system up and running and I love the new tweaks that are available.

3D effects are awesome and can be switched on and off at will.

All of my hardware was detected and the restricted driver facility enabled me to install my video driver without any hassle.

Great job guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just completed the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 on a 32-bit AMD machine. Everything worked fine, except when I rebooted, there was no Firefox. The icon at the top was missing (it just had a grey box in its place) and the icon in the Applications menus was missing (it had the default rectangular window icon). Firefox was stil in the menu, but clicking on it did nothing. I used Synaptic to re-install it. After that, both icons appeared, but clicking on it the first time had no result. However, clicking on a second (and subsequent) time started Firefox and now it's fine.

I also had to re-enable my third party repositories, just like it said I would during the upgrade, and in the case of Pretty Emacs, I had to change feisty to gutsy.

But that was it. I was back in business in no time. Great job!

Beans

Well, on my HP laptop everything worked perfectly for the upgrade. It only took about an hour and I only needed a few tweaks to get everything in order.

On my desktop, however, I got this after hours of downloading:

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/pool/main/r/ruby1.8/libruby1.8_1.8.6.36-1ubuntu3_i386.deb MD5Sum mismatch
    Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.22/linux-headers-2.6.22-14_2.6.22-14.46_all.deb MD5Sum mismatch

mmmm...As a noob, this is jibberish to me but needless to say. I don't have Gutsy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you find yourself without alsa audio in gutsy after a fresh install or upgrade.
    There are two methods one involves moving the files .asound.rc and .asound.conf from out of your /home directory and rebooting to re-enable alsa.
    The second method is fire up your terminal
    Code:
    asoundconf list
    asoundconf  set-default-card <your card here>
    use list to see under what name your sound card is listed then select it as the default audio device and finally reboot for the changes to tak effect.

Finally i think the people who are having toruble seem to be the folks who have customized their systems or do lots of compiling.
    If your system only installls software from the repos then i guess the upgrade should go smoothly but if you are constantly compiling etc then it probably won't.
    At least that is what observed from hoary to dapper my upgrade went smoothly, once i was comfortable with compiling stuff i have done it for every version of ubuntu since then and the upgrades never work properly from dapper to edgy via upgrade never worked correctly for me. Since then i only do fresh installs its a pain to re-add the compilers and dep files all over again but it would be even worse if it was done via upgrade as this experience once more has taught me.

Beans

All I had to do was uncheck the WINE repository as I kept getting the "unable to resolve" error that has been reported. After that the rest worked perfectly.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make it so my desktop resolution comes up at 1280x1024 automatically and not 1024x768. I have to manually change it after every reboot. Unrelated to the upgrade but figured I'd add it in here in case somebody knows how to fix that.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Attempted Full Upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 - as per instructions on web site - took more than 10 hours of downloading (no particular surprise there) but started throwing errors about unable to launch or load stuff but said it would continue. Upon completion, had a trashed system. Had to install from a CD of 7.10 I had earlier burned. I had a current backup so most things will be recovered.

BTW, the "recover broken system" in the 7.10 install image didn't work.
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Beans

Most of the upgrade worked OK for me, apart from the most significant one - I had a real battle getting the new nvidia driver to work. For a while it would only work using 'nv' as the driver - using 'nvidia' either gave me a 'trembling screen' (nvidia driver not working correctly) or a complete inability to start X.

Finally I installed nvidia's latest driver from their website, which gave me 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' in the 'Applications - System Tools' menu. Using that I was able to set the screen rate to 'Auto', which fixed the trembling. I presume that some part of my system didn't like the default screen rate.

Currently the only thing that isn't working is HPLIP (The HP printer utility) - if I run it from a terminal I get the message "error: CUPSEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation." I recall that several CUPS components were removed or replaced during the upgrade.

Beans

Attempted to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 using the update manager. Upon restarting after a straight forward upgrade procedure, I got a grub error 18.

Attempted to install 7.10 from a CD, but installer hangs. Attempted to reinstall 7.04 but installer hangs. I guess I've encountered my first ubuntu crisis but on the bright side it's a chance to get familiar with the support forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The upgrade went terribly wrong.
    I had to reinstall Ubuntu, this was easy and without any problems. Now everything is fine, and it works good (but I think Gutsy takes too much memory).

Page 21 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast