View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 19 of 176 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Well so far two things have happened to me.
    First. I am sure that 7.04 was up to date with all the updates, then I started the upgrade process. Towards the end I do not remember, it would not finish the upgrade. Anyway I choose to download the iso onto a disk; after doing so and booting from the disk, I ran check disk for defects. It showed that I had one error and that is where I stopped.
    I posted a question about that but so far no one has replied abck to me about it. I've downloaded from two different places and still with one error. I hope that someone from Ubuntu reads about this and passes it on to right people.
    Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Me again!!

I had a third attempt at upgrading last night, this time a little more successful, although I did get lots of warning messages etc.

Over night I downloaded a CD ISO image and did a fresh install from that.

One funny I need to sort out is I can't change the screen res down to 1024x768 (using an old CRT monitor) the system keeps staying in 1280x1024.... which is readable but the refresh rate is a lowly 60Hz...

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello, I upgraded from Feisty 7.04, from the update manager. everything installed ok but when i rebooted (3 1/2 hours later) the graphics were distorted. It also advised not to boot to XGL session as there was no need. So I booted into normal gnome session and couldnt get a backgound (black) was very very slow and couldnt launch and programs.

rebooted a few times and eventually got a desktop (still very slow). Thought, well probably Graphics driver (I have ATI X1650). loaded envy and removed driver. Tried to install new driver, envy wouldnt do it, just kept saying error. Damn... tried installing from command line but it wouldnt do the last bit (sudo aticonfig --overlay-type =xv).

I then give up and tried the following evening.
    Found Screens and Graphics in the system admin menu, spend 2 hours getting this to work. So at moment everything seems ok except for a slow boot, but not tried running any programs yet.

I am thinking about doing a fresh install, may download the iso when i get chance and yes i know this is a bit windows mind set but i am an IT administrator and try everything multiple times to find the best way.

Anyway not sure if that helps anyone, Gutsy looks good but for some reason I cant get a cube (only 2 desktops) and may wait till i do fresh install before looking at that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm sorry but

I installed Ubuntu-7.10 64bit

The overall design is good but the system is still a beta quality. I cant upgrade the Nvidia drivers. And the Nvidia drivers are now part of the kernel installation. I don't think that is a good idea, because my system is locking up due to the prepackaged drivers.

I also find that the internet connection is very slow with Mozilla Firefox. And for some reason, the Alsa drivers (Intel HDA drivers) are broken. Why can't we just install new Alsa drivers, like we used to with Ubuntu-7.04?

Overall, I like the system design, but it is not stable by any means.

Please fix the kernel and Mozilla Firefox, and stop playing around with the X server to the point that it becomes less stable for everyone.

I've designed and built my own systems before, and I have never had such issues with the X server stability. And what is it with the 64bit boot splash issues. It has gotten worse, and I am having troubles fixing it (like everyone ells with the 64bit OS).

At lest some things got fixed like WiFi drivers, and the Xserver has a better VESA driver.

Just my two cents.

I'm now installing Ubuntu-7.04.

Thanks

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Hit a bug during the upgrade process that was not easy to solve (some postinstallation script hanging) and that caused the upgrade process to get interrupted and be in a undefined state.

After some hacking I think I have a consistent Gutsy installation running now, but I must confess I am quite hesitant to do the upgrade on my more important work computer now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by rob57 View Post
    i myself did a clean installation which went well, till after the install when i was trying to check alsamixer i get an error "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device" since that no sound. Ive been searching all over to figure out how i can get this solve. please if anyone can help please drop in a good word or more to help. Thank you.
    That's the exact problem I had too...but thankfully it was solved quite easily. Move .asoundrc and .asoundrc.asoundconf out of your home directory. Just into a subdir such as bak will suffice. Log out, and login again and ALSA should work again.

Beans

I have updated 2 machines today.

The only problems I had with both upgrades were the following:

1. If you have Beryl installed and running, stop it running before upgrading - it gets removed and replaced with compiz-fusion.

2. If you have apt-file installed, remove it before upgrading, it causes the installer to crash right at the end, after hours of downloading, leaving you with a half installed very unstable system....it took me a while to recover from that.

3. If you have any unofficial repositories enabled, disable them as they can cause the installed to crash right at the start.

4. If you have awn on your system, after the upgrade it will fail to load because the library file libwnck is upgraded. It is easily fixed by trying to run awn from a terminal and recording which version of libwnck.so is required, then creating a symlink in the same folder as the updated libwnck.so and just renaming it to the version awn requires.

5. After the upgrades, the only settings I lost were my splash screen (between login and the desktop). I have it restored, but it is applying my splash over the top of the default...still to work that one out. My xorg.conf had to be reconfigured (I have a widescreen running on an intel chipset so I had to reinstall the updated intel-video driver to replace the intel-i810 driver) and my compositor settings had to be redone for compiz-fusion to work.

Beans

I started upgrade on Thursday - it stalled on installing packages at 50% and wouldn't budge, telling me it would take 10 hours to complete! I could get into my file area or run most of my programs at this point.

I stopped the process - had a few things to fix with adept and started upgrade again.

20 minutes later it was all finished and working well, huge sigh of relief here!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Fresh install did not work at all.

Hardware:
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (Bearlake chip) with intell C2D
    3Gb Ram
    Asus 7300GT
    Sata HDD, 2x IDE opticals

Install screen was good, but when advancing I got garbage on my screen (colloured stripes and such)
    Tried again with AHCIP option enables in BIOS, but no success.
    Think this is obvious, cause I think its due to Graphics card support/driver.
    Maybe I 'll try again with 'standard' VGA option in the install menu.

BTW: I checked the CD and memory for defects

I 'll update this post when succesfull.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I upgraded from 7.04 on a Dell Inspiron 640m. It was pretty smooth, apart from these two problems:

• When I tried to upgrade on Thursday evening local time, the Medibuntu repository gave a `302 Moved Temporarily' error repeatedly.
    • After I commented out the Medibuntu repository addresses in my /etc/apt/sources.list, the Update Manager wouldn't show that a new version has come up. When it did (yesterday) the upgrade wouldn't proceed for some reason. It could not download the required files and kept on getting stuck on file number 33!

All problems were resolved a while ago. I like the desktop effects and the crisp text rendering in Gutsy. But I'd like if the upgrade procedure is more transparent. We discussed my problems here:
    1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579680
    2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579511

Girish.

Page 19 of 176 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast