View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 152 of 176 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by statekilla1 View Post
    I put in a command in the terminal my keyboard seems to go dead when I type in a password.
    Nothing is displayed when you enter a password at a terminal or command line prompt. Just FYI. That doesn't mean that you don't have an issue, just that you shouldn't expect to see anything when entering a password.

Beans

Upgrading several machines: Mixed results

I upgraded two P4 desktop boxes (one a Dell and the other a box I threw together from parts long ago and have kept alive with periodic upgrades and replacements), a Turion-based Acer laptop, a Core 2 Duo based Dell laptop, and an old G3 iMac. The experience ranged from sublime to painful.

First the sublime: that was the jalopy P4. The Update Manager approach worked as designed, and after an hour or two of waiting, the system was ready for a quick reboot and came back all shiny and new. The Dell P4 box might have done as well, but I made the mistake of trying to cut the load on Ubuntu's servers by downloading the install CD and attempting to upgrade from that. Turns out you can't, unless you get the Alternate Install CD. So I just went ahead and blew away Feisty and loaded Gutsy in its place. That went fine.

The rest of the machines had problems. The Dell laptop seemed to upgrade fine via the Update Manager, but on reboot its screen went dark and stayed that way. I should note that that laptop is used like a desktop: it's always kept closed and docked, and interacts via an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. After hours of struggle, I finally realized that the X-server had detected the laptop's internal screen and was displaying there instead of to the screen I was looking at. Eventually I found a command to put into /etc/xorg.conf that disabled the internal screen and thereby allowed the external screen to be used. The machine has run flawlessly since then.

The G3 IMac is a strange machine to be running Gutsy on, since it has only 128 MB of RAM and is thus well below the minimum recommended hardware, but it serves its purpose well. It's used mainly as a video player for my almost 4-year-old daughter, and runs Tux Paint from time to time as well. The original Ubuntu install on this machine was predictably painful (hint: use the Alternate install CD and turn off DRI before attempting to start X; see below), but once installed it worked pretty well. I'm running FVWM-Crystal and ROX on it in place of the standard Gnome desktop, which gives a very pretty and relatively functional interface that runs plenty fast on that machine. The Gutsy upgrade broke it to the point that it wouldn't even start to boot.

After some exploration using the LiveCD and Google, I realized that the kernel's initial ramdisk lacked the IDE driver needed to operate the hard disk. Basically, it looks like a dumb mistake on the part of the distributor (not Canonical, in this case: they seem to have dropped their support for the PPC platform). It could be fixed by editing a config file and rebuilding the initramfs (a solution posted somewhere on the Ubuntu forums). This had to be done from the LiveCD environment. There were a couple of additional problems. For one thing, a change in the X-server caused the DRI (I think – maybe it was DRM?) driver to get loaded despite being commented out in xorg.conf; this causes the display to be so sluggish as to be essentially unusable. It was fixed by inserting a line in xorg.conf to explicitly disable that driver. Finally, by default Gutsy enables indexing of files on the local disk to make generic searches fast and easy. But this underpowered machine completely bogged down. So I had to very patiently open Gnome's control panel and use that to turn it off. Those fixes took perhaps 6 hours, but the machine has been running great for months of heavy use since then, so I figure it was worth it.

The last, and probably the most problematic, machine is the Acer laptop. The irony is that the Gutsy upgrade went very smoothly via the Update Manager, and all seemed well for the first hour or two after that. Then the machine froze, for no obvious reason. It turns out that that is the pattern for the Acer: it didn't matter what software was running, what video or WiFi drivers were loaded, or how hard the CPU was working. It will freeze when I use it, or when it's sitting idle with the screensaver running. A search on the Ubuntu Forums shows that lots of people are having similar freezes, and while there are many proposed fixes, there is none that seems to cure it for everyone. The affected hardware includes (at least) Intel and AMD processors, NVIDIA, ATI, and Intel graphics chips with proprietary and open-source drivers, and standard and Compiz windowing systems. The only thing that makes my laptop stable is reverting to the old Feisty generic kernel (2.6.20).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

new install of gutsy on toshiba A100 laptop (about 1.5 yrs old) a few weeks ago
    dual booting xp & ubuntu (can't stand vista, and i'm just using xp for other people who use my laptop occasionally and a few games/apps)
    120 GB hd
    core duo 1.83 GHz
    intel integrated gfx
    pretty traditional laptop junk

next time reformat my hd... 10% XP (ntfs), 10% ubuntu + home (ext3), 2% swap, rest (fat32).
    i made the error of splitting it about 55/43/2 when i first installed ubuntu

still haven't got the media or fn keys working yet, cannot control the brightness of the backlight, and global hotkeys (anything) don't work in amarok.

needed some help from the UW CSC (where i got ubuntu) for some driver (sound - was whisper quiet; printer - didn't exist in the directory)

pretty happy with it actually... i boot in xp maybe once or twice a week on AC to use Maple (no linux support), but i boot in xp all the time on battery, as i get 5hrs out of it, compared to about 2 with ubuntu - if i could get about 4 out of ubuntu, i'd barely ever use xp (i think that the main problem is the backlight... when i dim from lvl 8 to 1 [highest to lowest], i get another 1.5 hrs or so out of it = any help would be appreciated on this... i've gone through powersave, config editor, xbrightness.. can't find anything that'll work - though changing gamma did, but it just darkened all colours, rather than dimming the backlight

i love the level of customization, and all the things that can be added to the panel (especially weather, and sensor applets)

looking forward to hardy (looks very nice and smooth - easy on the eyes) hopefully i'll have access to my keys.

UBUNTU IS CHANGING MY LIFE! I LOVE IT!

Beans

I performed a gutsy upgrade (and feel dumb I am replying to this thread when Hardy Heron is just around the corner lol) through the synaptic manager, and it took forever, but it did it all. I then downloaded a disc image, and for some reason, about a week later, I had to do a fresh install - the disc did a full format and install in under an hour. I will be doing this when Hardy Heron comes out. I love the discs.

Beans

my installation was simply flawless !!!

Beans

Exclamation Reinstallation Hell!

Well I installed Ubuntu originally (dual-boot with XP) flawlessly. Then a day or two later I received an ATI card I had ordered prior to finally deciding to give Linux a serious look. That obviously buggered everything up (briefly).

I used Ubuntu for a few days and decided to make it my main system so I rejigged the partitions to give it more room to breathe (and to give me more space for home). Something went a bit screwy and messed the partitions up (nothing to do with Ubuntu). I was too impatient to fix it so I just reinstalled (having to use the alternative CD this time because of the ATI card). Other than that, no problems.

A bit later I started fiddling with tweaks. Did something to bugger it all up again so aimed to reinstall once more. This time though I had pretty much committed to Ubuntu and had moved most of my movies, music etc over the dark side. However, following advice I'd kept a separate home partition.

So I reinstalled, stumbled over a minor chown/chmod issue, reinstalled a few extra apps and everything was back exactly how I'd left it, emails, wallpaper and all! I had set aside the whole evening to "reinstall" - install all the apps, setting all the preferences, etc, etc, usually takes more than one evening to get it all back "just right" from past Windows experience. But I was more or less done and dusted in a couple of hours. Now I have to spend some time with the wife!

Thanks a lot Ubuntu! What am I supposed to do with all this time no longer wasted? You could have warned me...

Beans

I installed on my laptop first (HP DV9235NR) and my desktop. Both worked absolutely perfectly. On both I installed the restricted drivers so that I could get Compiz installed, but with the help of the community I couldn't have had an easier experience.

The only thing that I still want to solve is to have drivers for my Laptop's Express card TV Tuner. But this is considered an EXTRA rather than a requirement to run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The Compaq I got from Wal*Mart had two partitions; the larger for Windows XP and the smaller as a recovery boot up option that could reinstall the OS (no disc in sight). My goal, since I was just fooling around was to install Ubuntu (or Fedora, which I later dropped) into the large partition, then use the smaller as a safety net. Would've worked too, but the installation didn't complete right and I couldn't boot into either OS!
    I loaded the LiveCD again and tried to reinstall, but the partitioning option wasn't available any more, I could only use the entire hard drive. Scary, but I did it.
    I had the usual problems of not being able to see my pointer, not being able to choose my resolution (both seem to be fixed now, though I'm not exactly sure how I did it) and, oddly, only two workspaces by default (I thought there were supposed to be four).
    I was using a Lexmark 2400 series All-in-One, I guess you know how that turned out... So, after purchasing a HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One, and spending HOURS figuring out how to get it scanning right, I finally had a system I felt comfortable with. I added a second user (my GF) and she's getting used to it too.
    Now if I could only get my headphones to mute out my speakers...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Installed 7.10 on my Dell 4600 I've had for a couple years. For the most part, it went great. What few things did go wrong, I was able to fix just by browsing the forum. I think it's really great to have a place to go with OS problems and can have them fixed right away, just by talking to other users who are passionate about Ubuntu. With the help of this forum, I was able to get my desktop effects working, my wireless connected, my keyboard configured and let in on some cool tips, tricks and apps that have made the migration from Windows fairly easy. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the forum. This is my first post because every problem I had, already had a solution waiting for me here. Thank you all!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

An old system box became available so I thought I'd try Linux out - chose Ubuntu for its easy availability.

The basic install worked fine with only one minor problem: when booting the splash screen doesn't appear - "Unsupported video mode". Changing the vga parameter in the GRUB config made no difference. But this one can live with.

Then the problems of getting sound cards to work, so I can use the box for recording off my hifi. I have an onboard SoundBlaster Live! card and an outboard USB box. Cannot get either to work, and the many threads on this subject are so convoluted that it's difficult to see the wood for the trees. There are a few FAQ-type threads, but none of these have helped. And most of them are about playback, not recording anyway.

I'd also like to attach my machine to my home wireless network, but looking through the many threads there it seems the you need a couple of doctorates before even starting to select a suitable card to buy.

And without these facilities the box is just an unornamental door-stop.

I'd really like to use Linux, but at the moment don't see how to without spending far too much time getting odd bits to work. And I have to say that both features worked in Windows out of the box. Maybe Linux isn't (yet?) for people like me who want to do slightly odd things but don't want to spend hours getitng them to work.

Page 152 of 176 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast