View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 140 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Installed on a VAIO laptop. Network doesn't work. It appears that the hardware sends/receives messages (ping makes counters increase), but the data never gets to the application. If I ping out of the box, I get "Destination Host Unreachable" even though the destination is in the same subnet as my machine. When I attempt to ping my box from another machine, the receive counter on my machine increments, but not the send counter and the other machine reports timeouts.

Looking at other posts elsewhere there seems to be a problem with network as distributed, and an update is supposed to fix it. How do I get the update to my box without the network? I have another box with networking and a USB flash drive. Can I use that to get the update files to my Gutless (I mean Gutsy) box?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

try a hardwire into your network.

Beans

I am running hardwired on all my machines. It's behaving sort-of like something inside the box is intercepting traffic. Is a firewall installed and activated by default?
    Last edited by philhow; January 9th, 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

don't think the firewall installs auto unless you ticked it when you went network .. but go into the network manager and highlight the card and select properties. See if the "enabled roaming mode" is checked (it is on my WIRED Gutsy box and that one works just fine!)
    (wireless, however, have to have it shut off and the particulars written in for a STATIC network. That keeps it from trying to access your neighbors network!)

Beans

I had the box unchecked and set to static IP. I tried checking the box and now I get "connect: Network is unreachable" when I try to ping. I assume "roaming" means configure using DHCP or whatever other protocal is out there. If so, that seems to be failing.

<a little later>I now get "from 169.254.... Destination Host Unreachable". My network is 192.168, so I'm assuming the 169 address is because it didn't get a real address from my router.

Beans
    Distro

when in doubt .. re-boot (works in *******, too!)

Beans

Tried that, multiple times. Tried Fedora 8 live CD with the same result. Multiple installs of Gutsy (on the same machine) with the same result.

As another experiment, I turned Roaming back off and enabled DHCP. Had the same result as Roaming. Initially the network was unreachable, then eventually got a 169.x.y.z address and then couldn't communicate.

Beans

I didn't install it (yet?), but have a comment on the installer.

On the 3rd or 4th page of "Install" it asks which HDD to use(automatic/manual, etc.). This page is scary. It doesn't show any indication it recognizes partitions, it lists the full HDD size, there are no reassuring help or information messages. It looks like it's potentially going to erase all partitions. It's even more unpleasant because it takes longer to load that page, during which there's HDD activity.

I just wanted to see what install options exist, whether I can install into existing partitions, into a FS-in-a-file, if I can just have the home/settings on the HDD and the rest on the CD. When reaching that page I canceled the thing and went to the internet, looking for more details on how it all works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is actually my 2nd, no 3rd attempt to install a Linux distro on my notebook. Previously, my problems were either the LCD or the network adapters not being detected. With only little time to spare, I ended up abandoning the "project".

Then I thought of running the new Ubuntu release so I loaded it in VMware, which installed flawlessly! Ubuntu ROCKS!!! The 'high' I got made it the dual-booting my notebook a no-brainer. Everything went perfect. After the installation I was updating my Ubuntu over the Internet and installing packages in no time. The only thing missing were the 1) driver for my ATI card 2) Flash & 3) Java, all of which I conveniently found the 'how to' instrcutions in the Gutsy wikipage -> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy#generalnotes

I'm almost done installing the applications I need to leave ******* and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all all the people behind Ubuntu and the community for making this such a wonderful experience. Two thumbs up & Kudos to everyone!!! :=D>

Hardware specs:
    --------------------------
    Toshiba M100
    T2400 1.8Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
    Intel PRO 3945 Wireless adapter

Beans

Went through a fresh install yesterday, which was totally trashed due to processor prodding at the capplets install upgrade via I-net.

This morning, managed to shut down the connection (GUI interface was totally unresponsive as was normal commands on the x-term for ifconfig down).

Did this by generating a ping at my local 127.0.0.1, with unlimited solicitations.
    Then, in the terminal went to su, and ifconfig was responsive to shut down the network.

Definitely got pests on my system, but; since this worked, others may find it useful.
    Yeah, it was definitely the ping, stop, try the GUI for Network Manager, then su mode for ifconfig down. Almost edgy now, due to stability being high...that might not be good, for me...

Page 140 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast