View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 139 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Just Installed Gutsy on my Acer Laptop. It's my first experience using linux and I'm pleased with it so far - simple and responsive.

Issues so far:
    It took me a while to configure the looks for Chinese characters and get the latest fglrx running. And the default to scan all hard disk partitions (even NTFS partition) at start up is weird - I was really frustrated in the beginning wondering why the start up took ten minutes - especially with the splash screen on...

Beans

I had to rebuild my MythTV box following problems setting up LVM in Feisty Fawn, so I decided to perform the rebuild after upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon. However, after upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon IVTV no longer works because the firmware is not installed and LIRC no longer works for my Hauppauge WinPVR 350 remote nor can I test it with the IRW command. I am going to re-install Feisty Fawn because for me, Gutsy Gibbon doesn't support my hardware as well as Feisty Fawn does and doesn't provide me with any discernable improvements.

I did a clean install of Gutsy Gibbon and the IVTV issue went away so it seems to be a problem with the upgrade from Feisty Fawn.
    Last edited by Chuckels550; January 11th, 2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: new info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I voted "Installed OK, but have issues to solve". I installed OK. Got the 115 upgrades (about 5 hours). After that, I configured graphic mode from VGA Standard to use my ATI Radeon 9200, but after after some hours of use, PC just freezed. When I rebooted, Ubuntu blacks out when the login window should be.

I already checked the hard disk for physical errors on another PC and it is OK. So, I will try installing again, formating the hard disk during install again, just to make sure.

I know about computers but this is my first Ubuntu distro and I'm not familiar with commands for the console, but I'm willing and motivated to learn . If you have any hint for my next attempt, I appreciate it.

Beans

I had "played" with Linux before, just not seriuosly. Did a fresh install on my Dell laptop...SWEET!!! No issues at all.
    I also did a fresh install on an older GAteway I had laying around, work perfectly so I wiped it and am now playing with a LAMP server to test changes to websites I work on. The server took a little correcting from the guides I used, but overall, very easy to load and get set-up.\
    I have found open source programs for everything I need to do, and aside from a small learning curve, they seem to produce the same results as their counterparts in windows...
    7.10 on both.
    Looks like bye-bye to Mr. gates !!

And, thanks to all the helpful posters on this board!!! I was able to find answers to all my questions just by searching, which is why this is my first post here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by MethosCR View Post
    I voted "Installed OK, but have issues to solve". I installed OK. Got the 115 upgrades (about 5 hours). After that, I configured graphic mode from VGA Standard to use my ATI Radeon 9200, but after after some hours of use, PC just freezed. When I rebooted, Ubuntu blacks out when the login window should be.

I already checked the hard disk for physical errors on another PC and it is OK. So, I will try installing again, formating the hard disk during install again, just to make sure.

I know about computers but this is my first Ubuntu distro and I'm not familiar with commands for the console, but I'm willing and motivated to learn . If you have any hint for my next attempt, I appreciate it.
    That happened to me with my ATi 9600 Pro as well, luckily, I had the sound turned on so I could tell when the login prompt came up (it did, but the screen was black). I just typed my username <TAB> pass and logged in, reconfigured my X-server and that was that.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    That happened to me with my ATi 9600 Pro as well, luckily, I had the sound turned on so I could tell when the login prompt came up (it did, but the screen was black). I just typed my username <TAB> pass and logged in, reconfigured my X-server and that was that.
    Thanks for your post. How did you reconfigured X-server? What did you do? Is there some special setting? Did you use the driver from Ubuntu CD or downloaded it from ATI's website?

Beans

was nice simple and easy

no problems what so ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by MethosCR View Post
    Thanks for your post. How did you reconfigured X-server? What did you do? Is there some special setting? Did you use the driver from Ubuntu CD or downloaded it from ATI's website?
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I used the defaults throughout the process, but I had to use the Advanced option to input my monitor modes (resolution, refresh rate, Hsync and Vsync). In my case, the black screen was due to incorrect monitor settings for the refresh rate and V/Hsync, causing the monitor to shut down to protect itself. I have an HP W1907 19" Widescreen LCD.

If I were you, I'd do a search on how to input the right monitor options in your Xorg.conf file and make sure you have the right specs for your monitor. Once I got that all squared away, my issue went away entirely.

FWIW, I just used the Restricted Driver Manager to use the unsupported driver in Ubuntu, but you could likely just use the default safe driver installed by the Ubuntu CD.

I'd post my xorg.conf file for you, but I have since installed an Nvidia 7600 on this machine, so it wouldn't apply to your issue or help you anyway.
    Last edited by NineseveN; January 9th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a lot, NineseveN.

Beans

The upgrade when okay, but the LDAP integration is still an adventure. I upgraded 3 machines. After the upgrade none of the systems would run any init.d scripts after the kernel log started. I pounded my head against the brick wall for a while and finally at about 12:30am I decided would have to reinstall feisty to insure that the system would be running my the time users got there in the morning.

After I got some sleep I figured out that the problem was that running init.d scripts appears to be dependent on being able to connect to the ldap service. But, I run a custom build of openldap and it is started as an init.d script. I run local replicas of the ldap directory on critical servers to ensure the availability of the data. I ended up modifying the /etc/ldap.conf by adding a host line of:

host 127.0.0.1 111.222.111.222

Where 111.222.111.222 is the IP of the ldap master server. This is still not right, but it saved me from having to down grade to feisty.

Bill

Page 139 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast