View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 133 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

My installation of Gutsy ran flawlessly.
    At least, it did when I selected the Safe Graphics installation option.

I'm using the i386 version of Gutsy now.

The AMD64 version however locked up every time I tried to install it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I just finished building a server for my home network. It's a file server with Samba and MP3 player to act as my primary stereo system. This is my third PC now with Ubuntu 7.10 on it as the other two are HTPCs running MythTV.

Installation w/ 64-bit LiveCD installer was 100% Flawless!

On top of that, Ubuntu is buttery smooth with this low-end PC. These components are still available, but they are very low-end compared to hardware currently on the market. For example, the CPU was $33, the mobo was $47, and the memory module was $15. I thew out my brand preferences for value deals. Still, I avoided buying crap brands.

Even though the motherboard has built-in sound and video, I decided to spring a little more for a video and sound card. I disabled the built-in video and sound, so I don't know how well Ubuntu would have handled it (probably just fine since they're both supported in this version of the Linux kernel). Here's the system specs for my low-end server to let people know what worked 'out-of-the-box' with Gutsy:
    • Mobo: Gigabyte AM2 socket NVIDIA nForce 6100/405 Micro-ATX mobo (GA-M61SME-S2)
    • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Orleans 1.8GHz AM2 socket (ADA3000IAA4CW)
    • CPU Cooler: Scythe SCNJ-1100P
    • RAM: Patriot 512MB DDR2-800 memory module (PSD251280081)
    • Video: Gigabyte 7200GS 128MB GDDR2 PCI-E
    • Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE SB0570LPVP
    • HDD: Western Digital SE 160GB with a Scythe HDD cooler
    • Optical: none (I used a spare 2000-vintage CD-RW to install Ubuntu, then removed it since it's a server)
    • Mouse: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A USB
    • Keyboard: KeyTronic USB KT300U2
    • Monitor: Samsung 17" SyncMaster 731B LCD
    Even with an $80 Antec Minuet 300 case, this entire build was only $507.89 including the monitor, keyboard, and mouse! Add to that $0 for Ubuntu, the best O/S out there.

And it runs Ubuntu as smooth as a Core 2 CPU with 2GB of RAM runs Vista.
    Last edited by cipher_nemo; December 29th, 2007 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yesterday I finally decided to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, and as far as I can tell right now it went flawlessly. I haven't tested everything yet, but the important stuff (including sound and Wi-Fi with WPA) works.

Hardware: Acer Aspire 2012 WLMi notebook, Intel Centrino (1.5 GHz Pentium M, 855GME chipset) with built-in 2200BG WLAN, 768 MB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (using the fglrx driver), 1280x800 screen, Creative Audigy 2 ZS notebook soundcard, MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000

Beans

I installed Kubuntu Gutsy on my laptop a couple weeks ago (an Acer Aspire 9300). . . and I was really surprised on how well everything worked. I was expecting to run into driver problems or whatnot like the ones I encountered while trying to setup my printer on my Desktop PC under Feisty, but the new restricted drivers thingy made everything so easy; I didn't have to look for the right nVidia driver, or hunt around for the firmware for my wireless card; it was all done for me. Even the webcam, which had been reported from several sources not to run under linux actually worked when I fired up Kopete O.O

And this runs soooo much better than the vista crap that came with the laptop XD

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

So far, only failure installing install ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso on a standard but older Dell Dimension 2350, Pentium 4 with 512Mb RAM and a Dell flat panel monitor.

I'm booting from CD. If i choose the install option, i get the initial splash screen and activity bars, then the screen goes white and nothing else happens (or i can't see what it is).

If i choose the safe graphics option, i get the progress bar, then 4 lines ending with "running local boot scripts", then a cursor and a dialog about configuring the screen. If i choose continue, the same four lines are redisplayed, but nothing ever happens beyond that point. Same result if i choose test rather than continue.

Checking the CD integrity returns with no errors.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to make this work (or if there are better Linux distributions to try for this kind of hardware). Seems to me if i can't even make a live version work, actually installing or trying to use ubuntu will be hopeless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Live cd boot 32 and 64 bit would fail. alternate cd install 64 bit. Restricted drivers for 8600M GT work fine. Everything with sound worked except the sound! Fn keys, music players etc. Fixed with ossmix.
    See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=60

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by sboisen View Post
    So far, only failure installing install ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso on a standard but older Dell Dimension 2350, Pentium 4 with 512Mb RAM and a Dell flat panel monitor.
    However, success installing from the alternate distribution (so no live test, but that's okay).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Complete and utter failure with the 64bit 7.10 CD. It fails while booting up; I can't even get my hands on the command line, it won't get that far. I guess I'll have to try the alternate CD, though I'm confident it'll screw up, too. It's sad to think that after everything, the reason I won't be using ubuntu will be because I can't install the damn thing.

Beans

I actually installed ubuntu for temporary use.
    My windows xp laptop decided to clunk out (NTDLL missing error) or something of the like. I couldn't find the XP cd that came with the laptop, so I installed ubuntu first on a spare partition until i realized I had lost my XP cd permanently. So, I reinstalled ubuntu on its own.

I actually started with fiesty 7.04 AMD 64 and then upgraded to 7.10 AMD 64.
    It's on a compaq r3000 laptop.
    There were kinks, but I've solved them all.

I think many of them were solved in more complex ways than needed. Often times I would solve something via a script and then later searches would find a better way to do it.

1. wireless networking was a bit of a pain. i tried a bunch of things until i finally got it working.
    2. nvidia drivers were actually easy to install takes to the restricted drivers manager.
    3. getting firefox to work with flash... was not bad
    4. my dvd would not work, but it turned out I had to upgrade my firmware...strange how it worked fine in windows. I haven't tested DVD writing yet.

Some tools I wish someone had showed me was automiatix and Envy. These two tools automatically do much of the work for non-free software. I found these later on.

Also, this may not be the right place to ask a question as they're 3000+ posts so who will read it , but how often does ubuntu upgrade the software. For example, from the time pidgin releases a new version, when will that get picked up by the ubuntu repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ~LoKe View Post
    Complete and utter failure with the 64bit 7.10 CD. It fails while booting up; I can't even get my hands on the command line, it won't get that far. I guess I'll have to try the alternate CD, though I'm confident it'll screw up, too. It's sad to think that after everything, the reason I won't be using ubuntu will be because I can't install the damn thing.
    Booted up the alternate CD and installed without issue! Perfect!

Page 133 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast