View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 102 of 176 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I was running 7.04 as a server.

Motherboard: ASUS P5VD2-MX SE using the on-board video and RAID controllers.

The web, Samba & dnsmasq servers upgraded just fine and continued serving all virtual domains after the upgrade.

Video was different. I can no longer run my LCD at maximum resolution (1680 x 1050) , if I try the monitor loses sync. The best I can do now is 1280 x 1024. Also, the screen refuses to turn off. It used to work just fine, now the screen stays on all the time. I tried updating the driver but no luck.

I had installed the basic mail server before the upgrade but hadn't configured it yet. After the upgrade Postfix was missing, but the configuration files were still there. The Services menu showed Postfix as running, but that was wrong. I re-installed Postfix which removed exim4. The services menu still shows exim4 as a possibility but stopped. Postfix is now running but not yet fully configured.

Our mail is still running through the old Mac server which crashed again today. Time to finish the mail system!

System Log has errors which I've reported and had confirmed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I met somebody with a similar 'won't run' problem. I found out it was the laptop battery at the end of its life. Try fully charging it and then seeing if it stays up without adapter (for more than an hour, say). The duff one I found wouldn't stay up for more than 30 seconds without the adapter and with it produced some very unstable results. It looked like software but turned out to be the battery.
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is a desktop server system, no battery.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My 2 cents.
    I originally installed Freespire on an old laptop, largely because of it meeting the ram specs...loved the prospect of Linux politically foremost but also quality.
    I bit the bullet after only 3 days to install it on one of my other 6 pcs, I chose my favourite (not latest or highest spec)

Asus KNE 8 Deluxe
    1024 ddr (updating soon)
    3 physical boxed drives
    i) IDE 320gb Parta) XP Pro Install Partb) unused Part c) NTFS Programs for win
    ii) Sata 120gb NTFS (I think this is the place xp placed its bootloader?)
    iii)Sata 120gb NTFS

Nvidia fx 5700 256mb
    Dell 17"LCD
    Diamond View 19" CRT

USB Drive Lacie 1Tb
    USB Drive Samsung 320gb Part a)b)c) equal

OK
    Backed up all of XP reinstalled onto part a of IDE
    (funny thing it did an auto format on sata and then formatted the allocated partition..weird. I think this is where it put the boot as it calls the II)sata "C:" and the allocated partition on IDE as "E:" Bloody windows.
    All ok.

Used my fresh burnt ISO of 7.10 (after following the checks etc..on these forums..Thanks"

All installed GREAT.
    My dual boot didn't work for windows says some .dll file is missing.
    I think this has something to do with windows automatically configuring the drive partitions.

Anyway this forced my hand and I'm now very happily running 7.10 on the system

Post install I've installed so many directories and folders using the package manager to try and ensure all files needed are there.
    I configured to install the Satanic Ed. Screensaver as they are so COOL.

Issues I've had
    Graphics card the generic identifies my card as being a 128mb instead of 256mb.
    Can't activate the desktop effects (did once after following a thread but the x something or other caused patches to appear over the screen.
    Was dissappointed but understood the reason that libcss had to be installed and wasn't in the package. Now I can play DVDs with copyright pro.

Installed WINE from package but it didn't work. The downloaded package from site corrected this though.

My current issue is ManDVD is throwing an error at me and I am being assisted hopefully to a positive conclusion.

I love Linux, am converting everyone I can. A few headaches but when I think of headaches I had in windows GAWD, the linux ones are so worth it. and the best thing is genuinely these forums. It is enough to reinstall faith in humanity (says the man who installed satanic version..LOL)

Thanks sorry for being longwinded

Nigel
    Nigel Lian-Li, Core 2 e8400,4gb Ballsitix tracer, 2x dell 1905fp, 2x Asus 7800gt, 2x asus dvdrw 20X
    "The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Absolutely no problems from a fresh install, only complaint is, I personally like beryl better than compiz fusion. Great job and thanks!

Beans

I transferred over from XP to 7.10 and it worked like a breeze.

Rig Specifics:

XFX 650i Ultra
    E2140 Dual Core Processor
    OCZ eXtreme Gaming Gold DDR2 2GB
    Dual 160gb Samsung SATAII HDD
    nVidia 7300GT Pro 512mb Graphics PCi-Ex 16
    20x Lightscribe DVD Burner IDE
    Thompson Speedtouch Router.

Now the only reason that I stayed with Windows was that I am an avid World of Warcraft player and that was it, now after reading in the games support forums and in here how to do it, I had warcraft up and running in no time at all and in fact uBuntu took about 6 minutes to do everything it had to do from start to finish, a few interface tweaks and changing the theme, setting up of Automatix and thats it, I have had to do NOTHING to the install since.

The only thing I haven't got running is Xroast as I can find little info on configuaration but have no need to burn at the moment so not urgent.

Good job people who support uBuntu, keep sticking it to the MS leeches as i will never go back now to Windows and as XP will be stopped from this year end for new sales, I bet uBuntu will be getting more and more people who don't want the bug/spyware included of Vista.

As for World of Warcraft, it runs a million times better than on its native Win32, the 7300GT Pro seems to work a whole lot better under the nVidia native Linux drivers with WoW looking superb and I mean real GOOD, I have eliminated virtually all lag issues now and my fellow Guild people have all remarked on how much more proactive I am in the battlegrounds etc.

I thought to add also the rig specs for those with similar specs as those might wish to make the move and its good to let them know that from my experience it has been 100% a success.

AOUK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Gutsy Goin' Great!

Yesterday I did a fresh install of Gutsy and have been working with it for several hours now. So far everything is working well, and I really like it. I would call it the best release yet (although I know that many would disagree).

I am using a “Ultra” brand laptop with a 2.8 GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM, set up to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows XP. I started with Breezy and have made all of the regular upgrades since then. A while ago I messed up my bootloader (I was playing with PCLinuxOS and something went wrong - my fault) so I did a fresh reinstall of Feisty after first using Gparted to delete the old Feisty partition. (Perhaps a brute force method of getting the bootloader reinstalled, but nothing else I tried worked, including reinstalling the backup copy of my mbr.) This machine only has access to a dial-up connection, so I never did any updates to the installation.

When I tried to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy using the alternate CD the upgrade failed twice. I didn't worry too much about it since I have been wanting to try a fresh installation using manual partitioning (just for the learning experience), so I grabbed the live CD and started to work.

The installation went without a hitch, a couple of hours work got everything configured to my liking, a couple of hours on dial-up got Thunderbird and a few other apps, and another couple of hours today got all of the security updates.

Really happy with Gutsy Gibbon so far.
    Last edited by A. J. Rimmer; November 13th, 2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Add detail that I forgot to mention (Windows dual boot)

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

So far I have killed (ruined) two Dell 8600 1920x1200 laptop screens. Ubunto 7.10 evidently does not recognize the correct refresh rate and proceeds to burn up the electronics.

I put part of the blame on the Sharp LCD's for not properly governing (or identifying?) themselves, but the rest falls on Ubuntu.

Before the each monitor died, the screen image washed out as if all the pixels were turning on somewhat in a plaid pattern pattern starting at the screens' edge. One screen produced 0.5cm stripe of checkered pattern colors as I was reaching for the off button. Note, if one acts fast the screen can probably saved by powering off immediately and not rebooting into Ubuntu.

As a word of caution to anyone else attempting 7.10 on a Dell 8600 w ATI9600 with a high res screen, Ubunto managed to kill the 2nd screen with the laptop lid closed! I was attempting to correctly configure the laptop monitor via 2nd monitor, but managed kill the X server config before I succeeded. (The only video change made to my system was the installation of the Open Source video drivers.) I opend my laptop to initiate a Ubuntu re-install, but much to my chagrin, the laptop screen no longer worked .

I hope this info finds its way to someone who can properly configure Ubuntu to correctly detect high res laptop refresh rates. Unfortuneatly, I doubt the info will prevent another unnecessary screen death for a Linux newbie such as myself.

darin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Worked for me with minor problems.

Upgrade 1:
    Internet upgrade of 1.1Ghz CPU on Intel 815EEA2 motherboard with 512MB memory.
    VNC did not work the same after upgrade. About 30 minutes to fix.
    Mostly spent dragging an old monitor over to plug into the headless system so I could see what was going on.

Upgrade2:
    Internet upgrade of Xubuntu in a virtual machine (Virtual Box running in 7.04).
    Terminal did not configure correctly and I had to dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
    Everything worked fine after that.

Upgrade 3:
    Alternate CD upgrade of 850Mhz on Tyan S1846 motherboard with 512MB memory.
    This is my pre-2000 bios test machine. Everything worked.

Upgrade 4:
    Live CD Install on 999Mhz on Intel 815EEA motherboard with 512MB memory.
    Everything worked fine.

Upgrade 5:
    Alternate CD upgrade of Core2 on Intel DG965RY motherboard with 2GB memory.
    Had to reinstall DOSBox to get it to work
    Had to reconfigure Virtual Box to get it to work.
    With the new Kernel the latest version of lm_sensors now works with the 965 chipset

Definition of works for me:
    Internet connection worked
    Google Videos played with sound
    Various audio and video players worked as expected
    Open Office Word Processor worked
    DVD/CD players/burners worked as expected
    Various Network shares were accessible.

There may be other issues that I have not encountered yet. But so far everything seems to be ok.
    The new screen resolution GUI worked on all of the systems, and is quite nice to have.
    If everything continues to work I will upgrade some more systems and servers when I have time.

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I tried installing 7.10 many times but unfortunately could not finish the job. I am having assembed PC with D945GNT motherboard, 1GB RAM, Dual Core 3GHz CPU.

Earlier I was using 6.06 LTS. It worked excellent till I tried to install 7.10.

I downloaded 7.10 twice burned the images on different Writers but the results were same. The system used to boot from CD. I could see the welcome screen with many options. But later no option used to execute. The system shows CD and Hdisk activity for a second and later NOTHING.

Finally I switched back to WinXP..... have to run the SHOW...!

Page 102 of 176 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast