View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 100 of 176 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Catastrophic!

I had to "downgrade" back to Feisty.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

i wasent able to use the system at all. for some reason feisty had no problem with my restricted drivers for my ati all in wounder, gutsy just says fatal error and wont allow me to go forward. so i guess im waiting another 6months before i can switch again. extreamly annoying!
    i was going to deleat my xp because i hadn't used it in months, now im glad i didn't. is there some ware i can download feisty agin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had to do a fresh install of 7.10 because the upgrade servers were going to slow. but once it was installed, i had a little trouble with compiz fusion but once i got used to it it was fine .
    Ubuntu > Microsoft

Beans

New install

Still trying to resolve video problems. I'm about 2 more hours from giving up entirely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Made a fresh install of Ubunutu Studio 7.10.

Only one problem (till now); OpenOffice Spreadsheet won't open properly
    quad boot Debian Lenny 64bit / Kubuntu 9.10 64bit / Ubuntu Studio 8.04 64bit / Windows Vista on Medion Akoya P7300 D Nvidia Geforce 9600 gt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: New install

Just amazing just 3 hours after install everything is running

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu Gutsy. I've always used the latest Ubuntu (switched to Kubuntu with the feisty release) on this system, and this is the first time I've opted to stay on an older version.

boot splash problems (looong boot times, splash not showing up). Found a solution here on the boards, search "gutsy usplash" and you'll find it.

iPod doesn't work properly. Amarok isn't able to unmount the ipod, and KDE doesn't mount it by default. Pluggin in my ipod locked out the desktop for ~5 minutes (usb-storage taking up 100% cpu).

Wireless networking - for whatever reason, the network manager stopped being able to bring up my wireless adapter. It would start, but would fail on the first step (configuring network interface, or something.)

When I've got more time on my hands, I'll give it another go and start submitting bug reports.

A word to the wise: partimage is your very best friend! Do yourself a favor and backup your existing installation before you upgrade.
    Laptop: Inspiron 600m, Pentium-M 1.6, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Intrepid.
    Desktop: Athlon64 3000+, 2x6600GTs, 2GB PC3200, M-audio Delta1010, Debian Etch
    HTPC: P4 3.0, 512MB RAM, 7300LE, PVR-350, PCHDTV-5500, Mythbuntu Hardy.

Beans

My older P2 computer upgraded flawlessly. I tested the upgrade on it, then decided to move on to my Dell P4 3.06ghz, 1.5gb, ATI 9800 video card computer. Somewhere near the end of the installation there were error messages, and the computer never did ask to reboot, although the ABOUT UBUNTU section says I've upgraded to 7.10 Gutsy. I tried to use Launchpad to send the error report but apparently I'm not registered and at that time I ran out of time to work on it.

Seemed to be working okay anyway, except none of my partitions/hard drives/external HD showed up. If I turn off the external HD and turn it back on it will mount for the current session, but must be turned off/on again if I reboot.

Since the upgrade, I cannot upgrade other packages. Each attempt ends with the error message, "Error status 10 E:Util-Linux dependency problems - leaving unconfigured."

Beans

I'm an absolute beginner to Ubuntu and Linux in general, my wife was nice enough to buy the "Ubuntu for non Geeks" book and I've been running 7.04 with no problems. Tried upgrading to 7.10, everything seemed to load OK, then turned the computer off and back on. GIMP worked, Ubuntu 7.10 started loading and, when it went to the 'name' screen, the whole thing scrambled, can't read a thing. Hard to figure out a problem when I can't read the monitor. Since my monitor is an old Dell CRT and it worked find with 7.04, I'm betting it's my ATI Radeon card that's causing the problem.

In either case I'm having fun with 7.04, learning a lot. The terminal mode reminds me of DOS when I started with a Commodore 64 years ago and then bought an old IBM 8088.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I upgraded my main machine (AMD64 running 32-bit 7.04) and my lap top (32-bit, fairly new)...

Both failed horribly. The error seemed fairly similar too. I got a bunch of errors about post-install scripts failing (libcupsys iirc) and then dependency problems on 30-40 separate packages. At ~10-15 minutes left of installation, the Update window abruptly closed down, on the Main machine, and after a reboot, the system was behaving veeery strangely, so I ended up installing 7.10 on top of it.

The lap top on the other hand gave me an error akin to "couldn't continue upgrade, your system may be in an unstable state". I tried apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, after checking that /etc/apt/sources.list said "gutsy", but it only had one or two packages. After reboot, grub failed with a "couldn't find partition". Installing Xubuntu on the lap top as we speak.

Would've liked a "Nothing worked" option in that poll, but I picked the "Upgrade - got many problems" option.

-Kalle.

Page 100 of 176 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast